536 users online (56 members and 480 guests)  


Websleuths News


Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 29
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,020

    Young Catholic women back birth control use

    http://www.bostonglobe.com/lifestyle...6fK/story.html

    Alexandra Mangione went to Catholic schools from kindergarten through high school and now attends Boston College. “I go to church. I believe in God,’’ says Mangione, a 20-year-old sophomore at the Catholic college. She also believes in birth control.

    “The reality is that young Catholic women are absolutely sexually active, and they are on contraceptives,’’ says Mangione. Birth control should be covered by health insurance, she says, because women who are denied it are “forced to have an abortion, or they raise a child that they can’t support or they put a baby up for adoption.’’
    ------

    Ninety-nine percent of women have used birth control at some point, including 98 percent of Catholic women, according to a 2011 report by the Guttmacher Institute.

    “In real-life America, contraceptive use and strong religious beliefs are highly compatible,’’ says Rachel K. Jones, the report’s lead author.

    Studies also indicate that the majority of Americans believe insurance should cover the costs of birth control - and that most sexually active Americans use contraception. According to a 2011 Thomson Reuters survey, 77 percent of respondents believe that both private and government-assisted medical insurance should cover all or some of the costs of birth-control pills. Among those 35 and younger, the number rose to 83 percent.
    ------

    Since the debate began, Planned Parenthood of Massachusetts has fielded calls from women of all ages - as well as men - complaining about the political football the issue has become.

    “It’s very interesting that I’ve been doing quite a few interviews with college newspapers,’’ says Dianne Luby, president. “It’s completely outside their reality. They didn’t ever think this would be a question, that you wouldn’t have access to contraceptives.’’
    -----

    The debate over Catholic women and contraceptives spans generations. To Joan Moynagh, who has 10 siblings, the issue of birth control should be personal, not political. “The whole debate is forcing a very private issue out into the open, and that’s inappropriate,’’ she says.

    Moynagh says her parents had decided they wanted a large family, but she and her siblings, also raised Catholic, did not. The most children any of them have is three.

    “I feel it was my choice to use birth control and be pretty deliberate about having three kids,’’ says Moynagh, 52, who is the development director for the Radcliffe Institute at Harvard University. “I think it’s so extraordinary that anyone should tell any woman what to do with her body.’’

    More at link...

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Around here somewhere
    Posts
    12,690
    It shouldn't be an issue, whether or not to have access to contraception. Period. The answer should always be yes, as to availability and coverage. What I put in my body, whether or not I choose to control my menstrual cycle, and whether or not I wish to conceive a child is between me and God, not me and a bureaucracy.

    JMO.
    JMO. Unless there's a link, I can't prove it.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Rockport, TX
    Posts
    2,226
    Quote Originally Posted by not_my_kids View Post
    It shouldn't be an issue, whether or not to have access to contraception. Period. The answer should always be yes, as to availability and coverage. What I put in my body, whether or not I choose to control my menstrual cycle, and whether or not I wish to conceive a child is between me and God, not me and a bureaucracy.

    JMO.
    Yes, it is between you and your GOD. Acess is not denied to anyone. Coverage is the issue. Why in the world does anyone think they have the right to tell a religious institution that they must negate their belief system to provide you coverage for something that is between you and your GOD?

    Why in the world is it ok to invoke said bureacracy on THEM?


    Don't go to a religious school, don't work for a religious employer and don't attend the Catholic church if you don't have their belief system.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    12,152
    Walmart and Target both have BCPs for 9 bucks a month for anyone and everyone with an RX. At the risk of sounding like a tired commercial, "That's only 30 cents a day!"
    The world is full of monsters with friendly faces and angels full of scars. ~ Unknown

    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~ Aristotle

    The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    5,676
    Quote Originally Posted by EGirl View Post
    Yes, it is between you and your GOD. Acess is not denied to anyone. Coverage is the issue. Why in the world does anyone think they have the right to tell a religious institution that they must negate their belief system to provide you coverage for something that is between you and your GOD?

    Why in the world is it ok to invoke said bureacracy on THEM?


    Don't go to a religious school, don't work for a religious employer and don't attend the Catholic church if you don't have their belief system.
    I'm Catholic. I also believe that the Catholic Church does not have the right to make judgements against any person when they are choosing for the right reasons for themselves. We are nothing less than human and we were given the right to choose for ourselves. The Head Honcho loves us regardless of what we are given in life and how we must deal/cope. I truly wish the Catholic Church could grasp that.

    IMVHO
    "I went to the bank and asked to borrow a cup of money. They said, "What for?". I said, "I'm going to buy some sugar".

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Detroit Metro
    Posts
    1,670
    I'm also Catholic. What is ironic is the Church says poverty is unacceptable and everything should be done to eliminate it, but when a women uses birth control (because she cannot afford to raise a child), they play the "no contraception" card.

    As far as being required to offer contraception in their institutions and hospitals, the day the Church takes NO federal funds for the care or education of people is the day they can say they refuse to comply with the law. So all the Catholic hospitals need to stop taking Medicare and Medicaid funds if they want to do their thing.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Rockport, TX
    Posts
    2,226
    Quote Originally Posted by OrdinaryLife View Post
    I'm Catholic. I also believe that the Catholic Church does not have the right to make judgements against any person when they are choosing for the right reasons for themselves. We are nothing less than human and we were given the right to choose for ourselves. The Head Honcho loves us regardless of what we are given in life and how we must deal/cope. I truly wish the Catholic Church could grasp that.

    IMVHO
    What is the Catholic church doing to you? Exactly? Noone is preventing you from exercising your right to choose.

    Don't use government to enforce your beliefs on a religious institution.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Rockport, TX
    Posts
    2,226
    Quote Originally Posted by michmi View Post
    I'm also Catholic. What is ironic is the Church says poverty is unacceptable and everything should be done to eliminate it, but when a women uses birth control (because she cannot afford to raise a child), they play the "no contraception" card.

    As far as being required to offer contraception in their institutions and hospitals, the day the Church takes NO federal funds for the care or education of people is the day they can say they refuse to comply with the law. So all the Catholic hospitals need to stop taking Medicare and Medicaid funds if they want to do their thing.
    Does that mean my tax dollars can stop funding planned parenthood?

    Why in their world do you patronize those institutions?

    A government that will use force to make the Catholic church go against it's beliefs will do the same thing to you.

    The government needs to stay out of it.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Rockport, TX
    Posts
    2,226
    Quote Originally Posted by michmi View Post
    I'm also Catholic. What is ironic is the Church says poverty is unacceptable and everything should be done to eliminate it, but when a women uses birth control (because she cannot afford to raise a child), they play the "no contraception" card.

    As far as being required to offer contraception in their institutions and hospitals, the day the Church takes NO federal funds for the care or education of people is the day they can say they refuse to comply with the law. So all the Catholic hospitals need to stop taking Medicare and Medicaid funds if they want to do their thing.

    Because at no point you should be responsible for paying for one or the other? It's either pay for your birth control or support your children. WOW, what a choice.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    5,676
    Quote Originally Posted by EGirl View Post
    What is the Catholic church doing to you? Exactly? Noone is preventing you from exercising your right to choose.

    Don't use government to enforce your beliefs on a religious institution.
    Unfortunately, you misunderstood my previous post. I am not, nor will I *ever*, use the government to enforce what I hold for myself. Just sharing my thoughts. Not sure where you are going with this....

    imvho
    "I went to the bank and asked to borrow a cup of money. They said, "What for?". I said, "I'm going to buy some sugar".


  11. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Palm Springs
    Posts
    19,111
    Quote Originally Posted by not_my_kids View Post
    It shouldn't be an issue, whether or not to have access to contraception. Period. The answer should always be yes, as to availability and coverage. What I put in my body, whether or not I choose to control my menstrual cycle, and whether or not I wish to conceive a child is between me and God, not me and a bureaucracy.

    JMO.
    Absolutely and amen.

    I hope when it comes time to vote in November that voters remember how the GOP chose to wage war on women.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    sitting on a cornflake
    Posts
    2,371
    Quote Originally Posted by EGirl View Post
    What is the Catholic church doing to you? Exactly? No one is preventing you from exercising your right to choose.

    Don't use government to enforce your beliefs on a religious institution.

    Yeah, sure. For the time being, anyway.

    But please, let's not pretend that the Catholic church (and plenty of other religious institutions) would gladly see the government enforce their beliefs on everyone else. Growing up, I sat through many a homily where our monsignor essentially told us who to vote for come election time. It only served to reinforce my fervent belief in separation of church and state.

    I don't believe Catholic institutions should be forced to pay for birth control, but then again the Church's stance against birth control is just one of the reasons I'm no longer a practicing Catholic.


    "I look to a day when people will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character."
    -Martin Luther King, Jr.



  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Rockport, TX
    Posts
    2,226
    Quote Originally Posted by Velouria View Post
    Yeah, sure. For the time being, anyway.

    But please, let's not pretend that the Catholic church (and plenty of other religious institutions) would gladly see the government enforce their beliefs on everyone else. Growing up, I sat through many a homily where our monsignor essentially told us who to vote for come election time. It only served to reinforce my fervent belief in separation of church and state.

    I don't believe Catholic institutions should be forced to pay for birth control, but then again the Church's stance against birth control is just one of the reasons I'm no longer a practicing Catholic.
    And how good it is that you have that CHOICE.

    JMO

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Detroit Metro
    Posts
    1,670
    Quote Originally Posted by EGirl View Post
    Does that mean my tax dollars can stop funding planned parenthood?

    Why in their world do you patronize those institutions?

    A government that will use force to make the Catholic church go against it's beliefs will do the same thing to you.

    The government needs to stay out of it.

    I have no idea what you mean--if Planned Parenthood (an organization that dispenses contraception) takes tax dollars that's fine. If a Catholic-related hospital's pharmacy refuses to fill a prescription for birth control, then I don't want them to be able to be reimbursed by Medicare Part D OR by Medicaid for ANYONE'S prescriptions . That includes Aunt Millie's nerve pills and Uncle Charlie's blood pressure medicine.

    The Church only understands what hits them in their pocketbook and even then it takes a LONG time for them to get with it (priest abuse of children).

    Like I said, I'm Catholic. If the gov't makes the Church cover and provide contraception, HOO-RAY!

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Detroit Metro
    Posts
    1,670
    Quote Originally Posted by Velouria View Post
    Growing up, I sat through many a homily where our monsignor essentially told us who to vote for come election time.
    ...and like an American Catholic, I use my own mind to decide who I'll vote for and what I believe. The monsignor can tell people all day and night what he wants, we aren't robots that do his bidding.

    I don't believe in confessing my sins to a priest. So I don't go. Lightning doesn't strike me dead when I walk in the church. My sins are between me and God and what Father Whoever or Pope Whoever thinks is their problem.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast