902 users online (181 members and 721 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

MI - $1M lottery winner still gets food stamps

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow...201751693.html

People love stories about someone winning the lottery and then giving the money away. They're less likely to feel fondly about Amanda Clayton, who won $1 million in the Michigan State Lottery but is still collecting food stamps.

"I thought that they would cut me off, but since they didn't, I thought maybe it was OK because I'm not working," Clayton, 24, told Local 4 news in Detroit.

Well, at least she has the money to pay them back when they catch on to her...since she is 'slightly' over the income and asset levels..

I must be doing something wrong. I only have one house, and no food stamps. It must be that second house that puts her over the top.

BS She is probably still getting FS because she failed to tell them that she won the lottery. All recipients are told they must report any changes in income.

Funny thing is that if she had finally reported, it is likely they wouldn't even have checked when she began recieving the stamps if she didn't tell them. They would have just cut her off and back pay would have been ignored. If they caught it on their own, most likely they would have just made her pay them back. But now that it was made public, it is very likely they will have to charge her with fraud.
    Just when I think that I have seen the most depraved things a human can do to another human, somebody posts a new story...........

Why is it that when a custodial parent fails to provide for a child it is called neglect and is a criminal matter. But when a non custodial parent fails to provide it is called failure to support and is a civil matter?

"Just when the caterpillar thought its world was over, it became a butterfly" ~ Michelle Knight

So wrong! She should have to pay all back.
    She knew it was wrong!
    and do community service to the unfortunate that NEED the food stamps!
    Kyron, HALEIGH, ADJI & Gabriel NEEDS PRAYERS NOW TO FIND THEM!. Zahra & Jonathan in heaven
    Justice for Hailey!!!!
    No Justice for Caylee Marie..........

Wow, twice in less than a year. And both cases in Michigan. (As if the state of MI isn't really as in the red as they appear to be.)

No, it doesn't appear to be a duplicate thread. Just another case of this happening in MI:

$2 Million Lotto Winner Defends Use Of Food Stamps 11 Months Later - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community
    Last edited by KateB; 05-29-2015 at 07:24 PM. Reason: repair url tag.
    ~JMO~

A grandfather is someone with silver in his hair and gold in his heart. ~Author Unknown

Long Lost Love - Discovery ID - Disappeared - Bob Harrod Case

You can now purchase Mr. Harrod's Disappeared episode through Amazon, iTunes or YouTube.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/03/07/us/mic...tml?hpt=hp_bn1

Well, she's had her aid cut off. Poor baby..she wanted to keep using her aid card, because she's "struggling." Join the club, sister. And did I mention that I only have 1 house?

Quote Originally Posted by oh_gal View Post
    http://www.cnn.com/2012/03/07/us/mic...tml?hpt=hp_bn1

Well, she's had her aid cut off. Poor baby..she wanted to keep using her aid card, because she's "struggling." Join the club, sister. And did I mention that I only have 1 house?
    Her and her million $$ are struggling? Can ya hang on a sec...I need a kleenex for all the tears I'm weeping for her.

Beautiful Rox.
    Sept. 18, 1997 - May 26 2012
    Rest peacefully my love I'll forever miss you.

Quote Originally Posted by drip~drop View Post
    Her and her million $$ are struggling? Can ya hang on a sec...I need a kleenex for all the tears I'm weeping for her.
    I'll bet she doesn't have any money left to pay them back. She got just over half of the million $$ and bought her second house and a car. . . or is that bought 2 houses and a car?? Just about wipes out her money. . . I wonder if they will make her sell the second house to recoup their money???

Bought a 2nd house and car??? A million is a very nice sum, but spend it like that and it will be gone before long. They need to have a class for these people that win the lotto on money management, I swear...

If you had a million dollars why on earth would you put yourself through the emabarssment of using a Food Stamp Card?
    And surely she must have known that winning that much cash would disqualify your eligibilty to keep recieving assistance.

Geez, you guys are so mean. She is struggling, give her a break.

Oh geez, this just irks me. She knows it was wrong. Maybe she should take some of her winnings and donate it to a food shelter or something as a nice gesture.

However, did I hear correctly on the news that the law automatically disqualifies them if the lottery winner takes out annual payments, but it doesn't automatically disqualify a person if they take thelump sum option? And then I thought I heard that legislators were working on introducing a bill to change the law, so that distinction gets taken away? I hope so. Then some good would come out of this.

Yep, would love to see her do some community service or donation - just to show she's sorry for using gov't funds when she shouldn't have. (Even if she could legally, as a human I'd say it was wrong.)
    Love you, Littlest Little!

Hey chica...give back your lotto winnings or get off the dole. )&Y(*(^&*%^#

I think i saw this today .Once again I live in canada so i don't know what would happen here but I wasn't so concerned about the food stamps as much as just how much money they actually take for taxes i guess .If this is the same one I saw It said she decided to go for the whole sum instead of the monthly pay outs and after taxes and lawyer fees she was walking away with just under 500.000 I could not believe that thats over half thats nuts .Ya i know 500.oo Is still alot but thats also a heck of a lot that they take off .And if someone was right that she bought a house and a car there goes prolly 75 percent .If I win a million I want a million dammitt lol.
    Everything I Write Is JMHO ..

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast