PA - Michael Schaab, 25, dead, 6 injured in Western Psych shooting, 8 March 2012

I used to work in a neurosurgery clinic and part of our patient base were those who had pain--some were doctor shoppers that we were trying to farm out to pain clinics, some were straight out addicts. I regularly would get death threats for refusing (per doctor's orders) to give prescriptions for pain medication if it was too soon since their last prescription. We also had a psychiatric clinic on the same floor - so we were regularly letting each other know of the latest threat to our lives.

We would regularly bring up the issue with the building security and were told there was "no need" for an emergency plan because "that would never happen here". :eek:

Prayers to all who had to endure this event and for the recovery of the injured.

http://www.wpxi.com/
video
9 shot, 2 dead including gunman
lock downs are letting people leave certain places now
Was looking for 2nd gunman ......no confirmation

I'm listening to WPXI local news, reporters had a hard time getting near scene also.
Traffic is heavy, rainy and asking everyone to not come to Oakland area, let people try to get out first.
Oakland is full of hospitals. I can name a few......UPMC Presby, VA, Childrens, McGee's,
many elementary schools, a medical, a dental school
VERY busy part of Pittsburgh.

News conference at 6pm
LE going floor by floor room by room still searching

still a very active scene
Thinks gunman was treated there?
no hostage situation.
UPMC Presby hospital is right across the street.
Allot of college students are on spring break, thankfully.

tweet:
allen jennings
rick earl
WPXI

WPXI facebook page has more photos.

Public safety, Mayor and UPMC president
Press conference
Mayor says.......
1:40pm gunman entered with 2 fire arms
Looks like he acted alone
Active scene at Western psyc
Thanks to everyone etc
Mayor came to scene
UPMC LE acted quick and saved allot of lives

Dr Don Early (sp?)
cared for 7
2 in ICU / 1 after operation
2 discharged
the rest being admitted
2 died but does not know they were never in his care
HIPPA doesn't allow allot of info on medical of people
1 was a visitor
1 injury was not gunshot related
all adults

Mayor taking questions by LE
shootings were on 1st floor
no names released yet
coronor currently doing his investigation
at this moment everything being investigation
and will be released asap

deceased are 2 males, no names yet....relatives need notified
gunman entered through main door
speculation about 2 nd floor shooting
no exact count of how many gunshots fied yet
2 semi automatic hand guns

showing video of people evacuating in orderly fashion from neighboring buildings

updates later if new developements

may be anther presser later

184708840-08144019.jpg

Police block an entrance to the Western Psychiatric Institute and Clinic in Pittsburgh. (Keith Srakocic / Associated Press / March 8, 2012)

The neighborhood is dominated by major institutions such as the hospital and the clinic, which is affiliated with the medical center. Carnegie Mellon as well as Carlow and Chatham universities have campuses in the neighborhood.

http://www.latimes.com/news/nation/nationnow/la-na-nn-pittsburgh-shooting-20120308,0,3685034.story

I am horrified. Utterly horrified.

God speed to those who've passed on, and to those injured, prayers of healing for them. And prayers of healing for all the witnesses and others involved.

I am utterly horrified.

Best-
Herding Cats

This is so terrible. My son lives in Pittsburgh and his wife works at one of the hospitals. He said LE from everywhere was called in and they emptied buildings and searched for another shooter. There are also Daycare centers very close to this facility.

It is amazing that more people were not shot or killed. My prayers go out to the victims and their families as well as all those who were in the path of the shooter. It had to be terrifying!

The alert and lockdown ended Thursday evening, but the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center asked that people avoid the clinic while the investigation into the shooting continued. People were free to go when and where they pleased at the two network hospitals nearest the clinic, UPMC Presbyterian and UPMC Shadyside, which also had been locked down earlier in the day.

UPMC chief executive Jeffrey Romoff said the health network was "deeply, deeply saddened by today's events" and expressed "deepest sympathy to the victims and their families."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/...tric-clinic-shooting_n_1332766.html?ref=crime

tweeter:
Dave Bondy ‏ @Dave_BondyWPXI
Reply RetweetedRetweet
Delete
FavoritedFavorite · Close Open Details The very latest on the shooting coming up on Channel 11 News at 11. #WPICShooting #wpxi

update:
KDKA......still not releasing any names including the shooter

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pabo1998