TX - "Keep Austin Weird" cross-dressing icon Leslie Cochran dead at 60

wfgodot

Former Member
Reaction score
The state capital lost a lot of local color here. "Keep Austin Weird" bumperstickers are a fixture on vehicles in the area, and of those who've lived in the area.

Austin icon Leslie Cochran dies at age 60 (Austin Statesman)
An Austin icon is dead, and Austin just got a lot less weird.

Leslie Cochran — the city’s flesh-flashing, cross-dressing, attention-loving, frequently homeless mascot, unofficial ambassador and sometimes mayoral candidate — died at 1 a.m. at Christopher House, an inpatient hospice, his sister Alice Masterson said. He was 60.
---
Usually dressed in ankle-snapping ladies’ heels and a thong, Cochran was a fixture in Austin, particularly downtown, the Sixth St. entertainment district and South Austin. He became known around the world as a key example of the city’s populace embracing and celebrating its freaks. Albert Leslie Cochran eventually ascended to the highest rank of celebrity, joining the few known by one name only.
---
Proving that Austin is still plenty weird, there’s already talk of a statue in Cochran’s honor. No doubt he’ll look fabulous.
---
the rest, all interesting, some a bit sad, at link above

He/she was an Austin icon and original. Used to love seeing him riding down the street on his bike in pink fishnets, matching pink bikini and high heels. Put a smile on my face every time I saw him. People would honk and wave and he would smile and wave back. That open, embracing attitude is part of what makes Austin great. I miss that.

RIP Leslie :rose:

http://www.statesman.com/blogs/cont...012/03/08/austin_icon_leslie_cochran_die.html

Mayor Lee Leffingwell was expected to proclaim Thursday and every March 8 forward Leslie Day in Austin. Friends and fans planned to gather at City Hall at 6 p.m. and parade to Sixth Street beginning at 7:30. Romness encouraged attendees to wear boas and tiaras.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Drury Lane
Back