1117 users online (211 members and 906 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Suffolk homicide chief: New look at Gilgo - Newsday article 3/9/12

http://www.newsday.com/long-island/s...ilgo-1.3592510
    The Suffolk police homicide squad has a new chief who says he plans a fresh look at the county's biggest unsolved case, the Gilgo Beach murders, and believes more than one killer was responsible.

"My opinion is that it's very unlikely that it's one person," Det. Lt. Jack Fitzpatrick said during an interview at Yaphank headquarters. That view is at odds with a single-killer theory that was aired last December by then-Police Commissioner Richard Dormer, setting off an unusual public argument with District Attorney Thomas Spota, who also believes there were multiple killers.
    I know we are not really supposed to post full articles but I posted the article in it's entirety because Newsday.com requires one to have an Optimum account that out of area persons cannot get. I felt it unfair that those who reside outside of Optimum's service area cannot read full articles.

This guy is highly respected and he's a good cop. If he says he thinks it's multiple killers then I am inclined to believe him.
    Last edited by Harmony2; 03-12-2012 at 03:16 PM. Reason: it is a copyright infringement to copy the whole article - only 10% allowed

Here is the link to the article and copyright info:

Newsday
    Suffolk homicide chief: New look
    at Gilgo
    Originally published: March 9, 2012 9:57 PM
    Updated: March 9, 2012 10:30 PM
    By TANIA LOPEZ tania.lopez@newsday.com
    http://www.newsday.com/long-island/s...ilgo-1.3592510

Budget

I guess they did not mention the $500 million dollar budget shortfall over the next 3 years due mostly to the mis calculation of county tax revenue. I do not want to diminish the fact that there is a very good policeman who is backed by the DA working on this case now. Unfortunatley Dormer and Spota were at odds with each other and with any working relationship that is hostile; the work they were supposed to be doing probably suffered. Cheers to the fresh sets of eyes in SCPD now. Go get'em boys.

But, is it really a fresh set of eyes? Eight of the eleven cases of missing person's whose bodies were found along the OP (if you count Shannan Gilbert) occurred during Det. Fitzpatrick's time as Chief. These cases and at least 400 other murders went unsolved. That number does not include the number of unsolved missing persons...cases where people may have been murdered and dumped somewhere in Suffolk County.

So, the big question is this: Whose in charge of missing person's investigations and do they work under the Chief of Homicide?

Quote Originally Posted by Just K View Post
    So, the big question is this: Whose in charge of missing person's investigations and do they work under the Chief of Homicide?
    I was thinking about this and it made me recall how JB tried to help MP and AD file a missing person report for SG and Suffolk County would not accept the report because they said it had to be filed where the person legally resided.

So is our SK exploiting the loopholes and downfalls of our Nation's missing person's system?

Not one of our identified victims could call Long Island their legal residence.
    Last edited by Seaslug44; 03-10-2012 at 09:05 AM.

And by the way, ALC my have been living at and working out of DS's house but as far as we know there was never any evidence that she ever changed her legal address from the Carolinas. Plus we cannot blame the Carolina police because her sister (who brought her not prostitution and knew she was missing) did not file a report;

Costello was never reported missing by her family.
    -source

A 2002 article about The Doe Network. It appears that Lt Fitzpatrick chose to withhold a picture of a tattoo on the Manorville Jane Doe and refused the help of the Doe Network.
    http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...ient=firefox-a

I am hesitant to criticize law enforcement. But there is no excuse for this case stalling. We come up with new theories every day and we are amateurs. The professionals should be making progress on this. There are all kinds of avenues to investigate. I find it hard to believe that they've run out of things to do on this case.

could the SK be a long shoreman and the AC victims were faced east in his mind they would be facing him when he passes by heading to port?

Quote Originally Posted by Aleph View Post
    I am hesitant to criticize law enforcement. But there is no excuse for this case stalling. We come up with new theories every day and we are amateurs. The professionals should be making progress on this. There are all kinds of avenues to investigate. I find it hard to believe that they've run out of things to do on this case.
    Maybe it is by design? Perhaps there is indication that the SK wanted his handy work to be noticed. By the police saying they have nothing new to go on maybe it is designed to lure the SK out, to make a move. A move that could break the case open? Or they have a suspect and want him to relax, they have him under surveillance.

Quote Originally Posted by Lera213 View Post
    Maybe it is by design? Perhaps there is indication that the SK wanted his handy work to be noticed. By the police saying they have nothing new to go on maybe it is designed to lure the SK out, to make a move. A move that could break the case open? Or they have a suspect and want him to relax, they have him under surveillance.
    Lera213, I hope so. Those are all strong possibilities and I'd love to think that they have a plan.

If this detective says they won't release anything unless it's major, maybe that indicates they won't release anything about SG's autopsy report. Them holding on to it for this long could suggest that there's something in it indicating foul play.

I can't shake this feeling that LE knows who the perp is and that they've had him under surveillance since the story broke.

I think the perp is a Huge attention hoarder. By LE keeping their cards so close to their vests, not only are they avoiding tipping him off, but are denying the perp the attention he so desperately craves. MOO.

<modsnip>

I do remember reading about an officer in a PDF that rodent posted somewhere in this thread about a crazy cop who was harassing his neighbors. It was in the minutes of a Suffolk County town meeting or something. I will see if I can find it and post a link. I'm not sure it's the same person though.
    Last edited by ynotdivein; 03-12-2012 at 09:24 PM. Reason: referenced post that had been removed

Here is the link that contains the PDF link from rodent69:

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7604332&postcount=138"]Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - Shannan Gilbert Found, death declared an accident. What do you think?[/ame]

PS

I wouldn't be surprised to see a WS forum about this officer and his "child of the corn" some day.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwntwnslim View Post
    Here is the link that contains the PDF link from rodent69:

Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - Shannan Gilbert Found, death declared an accident. What do you think?

PS

I wouldn't be surprised to see a WS forum about this officer and his "child of the corn" some day.
    Thanks Slim, an interesting read f\or sure! It might be the same officer you refer to in your above post. But the post I read talked about this officer being put on a desk job that lasted a long time, the result of an IA investigation. Then suddenly he was called to become the lead investigator in either the LISK or SG cases.

In your link I found an answer to the question Seaslug has answered before about who Officer Malia and Blue were looking for when he found that first body. They were using any extra time to try and find Shannan Gilbert {mentioned in the link 's preceding paragraph to this one I believe}:

Snip from PDF link in previous post by Dwntnslim

" . . . Within the ensuing months, numerous canvasses and searches of the area were done to no avail.
    In December -- again, well publicized -- K-9 Officer John Malia and his dog Blue -- and it has been
    reported that this was a training -- that he was on training exercise; no. Any time he had free time,
    he and others would go into that area and search. He went well beyond the area, the immediate
    area that we thought she could have been, and he discovered human remains on December 11th.
    On the overview photo I gave you, there's numbers of the bodies and remains that were found; the
    numbers represent the order that we found them in."

Ta for that !!!

Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast