Suffolk homicide chief: New look at Gilgo - Newsday article 3/9/12

Status
Not open for further replies.

WI1987

Reaction score
http://www.newsday.com/long-island/suffolk/suffolk-homicide-chief-new-look-at-gilgo-1.3592510
The Suffolk police homicide squad has a new chief who says he plans a fresh look at the county's biggest unsolved case, the Gilgo Beach murders, and believes more than one killer was responsible.

"My opinion is that it's very unlikely that it's one person," Det. Lt. Jack Fitzpatrick said during an interview at Yaphank headquarters. That view is at odds with a single-killer theory that was aired last December by then-Police Commissioner Richard Dormer, setting off an unusual public argument with District Attorney Thomas Spota, who also believes there were multiple killers.
I know we are not really supposed to post full articles but I posted the article in it's entirety because Newsday.com requires one to have an Optimum account that out of area persons cannot get. I felt it unfair that those who reside outside of Optimum's service area cannot read full articles.

This guy is highly respected and he's a good cop. If he says he thinks it's multiple killers then I am inclined to believe him.

I guess they did not mention the $500 million dollar budget shortfall over the next 3 years due mostly to the mis calculation of county tax revenue. I do not want to diminish the fact that there is a very good policeman who is backed by the DA working on this case now. Unfortunatley Dormer and Spota were at odds with each other and with any working relationship that is hostile; the work they were supposed to be doing probably suffered. Cheers to the fresh sets of eyes in SCPD now. Go get'em boys.

But, is it really a fresh set of eyes? Eight of the eleven cases of missing person's whose bodies were found along the OP (if you count Shannan Gilbert) occurred during Det. Fitzpatrick's time as Chief. These cases and at least 400 other murders went unsolved. That number does not include the number of unsolved missing persons...cases where people may have been murdered and dumped somewhere in Suffolk County.

So, the big question is this: Whose in charge of missing person's investigations and do they work under the Chief of Homicide?

So, the big question is this: Whose in charge of missing person's investigations and do they work under the Chief of Homicide?

I was thinking about this and it made me recall how JB tried to help MP and AD file a missing person report for SG and Suffolk County would not accept the report because they said it had to be filed where the person legally resided.

So is our SK exploiting the loopholes and downfalls of our Nation's missing person's system?

Not one of our identified victims could call Long Island their legal residence.

And by the way, ALC my have been living at and working out of DS's house but as far as we know there was never any evidence that she ever changed her legal address from the Carolinas. Plus we cannot blame the Carolina police because her sister (who brought her not prostitution and knew she was missing) did not file a report;

Costello was never reported missing by her family.
-source

I am hesitant to criticize law enforcement. But there is no excuse for this case stalling. We come up with new theories every day and we are amateurs. The professionals should be making progress on this. There are all kinds of avenues to investigate. I find it hard to believe that they've run out of things to do on this case.

could the SK be a long shoreman and the AC victims were faced east in his mind they would be facing him when he passes by heading to port?

I am hesitant to criticize law enforcement. But there is no excuse for this case stalling. We come up with new theories every day and we are amateurs. The professionals should be making progress on this. There are all kinds of avenues to investigate. I find it hard to believe that they've run out of things to do on this case.

Maybe it is by design? Perhaps there is indication that the SK wanted his handy work to be noticed. By the police saying they have nothing new to go on maybe it is designed to lure the SK out, to make a move. A move that could break the case open? Or they have a suspect and want him to relax, they have him under surveillance.

Maybe it is by design? Perhaps there is indication that the SK wanted his handy work to be noticed. By the police saying they have nothing new to go on maybe it is designed to lure the SK out, to make a move. A move that could break the case open? Or they have a suspect and want him to relax, they have him under surveillance.

Lera213, I hope so. Those are all strong possibilities and I'd love to think that they have a plan.

If this detective says they won't release anything unless it's major, maybe that indicates they won't release anything about SG's autopsy report. Them holding on to it for this long could suggest that there's something in it indicating foul play.

I can't shake this feeling that LE knows who the perp is and that they've had him under surveillance since the story broke.

I think the perp is a Huge attention hoarder. By LE keeping their cards so close to their vests, not only are they avoiding tipping him off, but are denying the perp the attention he so desperately craves. MOO.

<modsnip>

I do remember reading about an officer in a PDF that rodent posted somewhere in this thread about a crazy cop who was harassing his neighbors. It was in the minutes of a Suffolk County town meeting or something. I will see if I can find it and post a link. I'm not sure it's the same person though.

Here is the link that contains the PDF link from rodent69:

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7604332&postcount=138"]Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - Shannan Gilbert Found, death declared an accident. What do you think?[/ame]

PS

I wouldn't be surprised to see a WS forum about this officer and his "child of the corn" some day.

Here is the link that contains the PDF link from rodent69:

Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - Shannan Gilbert Found, death declared an accident. What do you think?

PS

I wouldn't be surprised to see a WS forum about this officer and his "child of the corn" some day.

Thanks Slim, an interesting read f\or sure! It might be the same officer you refer to in your above post. But the post I read talked about this officer being put on a desk job that lasted a long time, the result of an IA investigation. Then suddenly he was called to become the lead investigator in either the LISK or SG cases.

In your link I found an answer to the question Seaslug has answered before about who Officer Malia and Blue were looking for when he found that first body. They were using any extra time to try and find Shannan Gilbert {mentioned in the link 's preceding paragraph to this one I believe}:

Snip from PDF link in previous post by Dwntnslim

" . . . Within the ensuing months, numerous canvasses and searches of the area were done to no avail.
In December -- again, well publicized -- K-9 Officer John Malia and his dog Blue -- and it has been
reported that this was a training -- that he was on training exercise; no. Any time he had free time,
he and others would go into that area and search. He went well beyond the area, the immediate
area that we thought she could have been, and he discovered human remains on December 11th.
On the overview photo I gave you, there's numbers of the bodies and remains that were found; the
numbers represent the order that we found them in."

Ta for that !!!

The Good LT lost his command of the Homicide Squad when his sterling detectives refused to respond to the murder scene where the body of a Mr.Lucero had to remain on the ground for 9 hours.

The reason why no detectives responded was because the police commissioner withdrew a long standing practice (not a contractural one) of eliminating a 2 hour OT stand by arrangement for one detective to pick up the phone should a call come in after 1AM. Many calls were made and none were answered. A real sterling bunch of detectives.

For all I know, Lt.Fitzpatrick can very well be a decent and good man. But in this case his own detectives threw him to the wolves as the commissioner rightfully believed he was not a true leader of his detectives. It was disgraceful.

So why and how was Fitzpatrick brought back to Homicide? The regimes changed and the old crooks came back to be the new crooks. DA Spota and his Chief Investigator investigated Steve Levy for illegal campaign fund raising. It caused Levy to turn over 4 M. in funds and withdraw his bid to run for re-election. This open the door wide for Bellone to step right into office.

So who does Bellone pick as his new Chief of Department, a job that usually falls to the commissioner, James Burke, SCPD Inspector and Spota's Chief Investigator. Quid Pro Quo and here you go.

continued.........

And who is this fellow named Jim Burke? In 1979 a 13 year old boy named John Pius Jr. was murdered in Smithtown. The little boy with the stones jammed down his throat. 4 young men were arrested for that crime seven months after the murder. I believe to this day that those kids are innocent of that crime. What some, if not all, were guilty of were scores of burglaries that plagued the Town of Smithtown during those years. These kids ranged in ages of 13 to 17 years of age. I spoke to at least one of those kids, now a grown man that had to go to jail for 19 years for a murder he didn't commit.

I was told the reason why they were so successful is because they had a very bright 14 year old friend and neighbor that did such a great job casing the burglaries for them that they avoided detection for those scores of burglaries.

About 7 months after the murder and without arrests, Tom Spota, then ADA Spota, Chief of Homicide has 5 young men brought into his office to give information about the other young men. One of them was a very bright little 14 year old fellow named James Burke. The other one has been in and out of jail since then - for burglary. His name is Dan Culotta. At the time of his recent arrest he gave an address right up the block for where the grown up Chief of Department now lives. At the time of the murder young Dan and Jimmy lived right across the street from each other on 50 Acres Road, Smithtown, NY.

The four young men that went to jail were friends,schoolmates, and neighbors of Little Jimmy and Danny.

While the 'murderers' were out doing burglaries,,,,,,,scores of them, I guess we can believe Little Jimmy was skipping off to Cathecism Classes and staying out of trouble.

continued......

You lost me.

Who is little Jimmy Burke of 50 Acre Road and how is he tied into this case?

This is from a 2002 article about Jane and John Doe found in Manorville 4 days apart

"Fitzpatrick and the homicide department are not considering the possibility of a connection between the cases, including the chance of a serial killer roaming the South Shore"

http://www.doenetwork.org/media/news18.html

:silenced:

Great to have you hear peterf14! Do you have any insight as to who you think the SK is?

If you don't believe it just look on the rear panel of their police cars. That is what it says. BTW, what makes you think they are PROFESSIONALS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni