Marine Seeks to Adopt Military Dog but time's running out

Well, I'm not sure that answer is really helpful but thanks for the input.

Letter writing goes a long way in situations like this if you can get the right address. There are so many things we can do nothing about, its just nice to at least be able to try..at least for me.

Letter writing goes a long way in situations like this if you can get the right address. There are so many things we can do nothing about, its just nice to at least be able to try..at least for me.

Tell you what: if you can find the address, I'll write a letter, too.

I'm really sorry if I seemed to be mocking your concern. I absolutely agree the dog and its partner deserve to be reunited.

Tell you what: if you can find the address, I'll write a letter, too.

I'm really sorry if I seemed to be mocking your concern. I absolutely agree the dog and its partner deserve to be reunited.

RO, sent a note to the Working Dog association. I'm also wondering if there is any way that we can notify the commander of the base where Sgt. Rex is currently; see if we can't get a bit of a stay for Rex while this stuff is worked out.

I would be very sad if this dog, who is a veteran and who has been injured in the line of duty, gets put down when there is a happy, healthy home available for him. No reason whatsoever to do that.

Sigh.

Best-
Herding Cats

Judge Janine just had a bit on this story.

Rex, the dog, is at Camp Pendleton. The decision makers are at Lackland AF base. The emails should go to Lackland AFB, and I think the link is on Judge Janine's website. I'll come back to edit when I find it.

Best-
Herding Cats

OK. Here is the link to Lackland AFB's page on animal adoptions:
http://www.lackland.af.mil/units/341stmwd/index.asp

Here is the direct email for the guy in charge:
MWD.Adoptions@us.af.mil

And the chief procurement personnel:
mwd.procurement@us.af.mil

I would suggest getting in touch with them via email...it may really make a difference.

Here is a copy of my letter I just sent out:

"Dear Sir:

First, allow me to thank you for your service to my beloved country. I appreciate your dedication and effort, and, as the saying goes, you are the reason I remain safe in this day and age.

I am writing you today to ask you to please do whatever is necessary to facilitate the adoption of MWD Sgt. Rex. While I am certain you are aware of his service record, may I remind you that he, along with his handler Megan Leavey, was wounded during IED searches, and both had long, hard recoveries. As partners, it would be wonderful to allow Leavey to adopt Sgt. Rex, and give him his own retirement in a manner he deserves - that is, with a loving, cherished partner he knows, and not be put down when there is a loving home available to him.

As a dog lover, I can only say that, in this day and age of unwanted animals, to have already procured a loving, capable home with Ms. Leavey is something not to be discounted.

Please, I ask you in your capacity of director of this program, to provide both Leavey and Sgt. Rex the opportunity to share their lives with each other, as they both risked death for each other and for me, a citizen who will always be faceless to those who put their lives on the line for my own security. Please, facilitate the reunion and retirement of both these wounded vets, and know that a lady in California will always, always appreciate the extra time it's taken to do this for Leavey and Rex.

I close again thanking you for your service, and for the service of all military, two or four legged, who have served and worked to keep me safe.

My very best wishes,
"Herding Cats"

Obviously I didn't actually sign it HC, but with my real name. I hope this helps...and if anyone wants to use my wording, feel free.

Best-
Herding Cats

Argh what is the big deal! Give her the dog. I am hoping most dogs that come back and served their time are not just put down. Because that will make me very angry.

Judge Janine just had a bit on this story.

Rex, the dog, is at Camp Pendleton. The decision makers are at Lackland AF base. The emails should go to Lackland AFB, and I think the link is on Judge Janine's website. I'll come back to edit when I find it.

Best-
Herding Cats

OK. Here is the link to Lackland AFB's page on animal adoptions:
http://www.lackland.af.mil/units/341stmwd/index.asp

Here is the direct email for the guy in charge:
MWD.Adoptions@us.af.mil

And the chief procurement personnel:
mwd.procurement@us.af.mil

I would suggest getting in touch with them via email...it may really make a difference.

As always, you're my hero! :)

picture.php

Megan and Rex

Emails sent as promised, Reality Orlando, to the director of the MWD program as well as my senators from California.

Now I just need YOUR address so I can forward all the junk mail and campaign-contribution solicitations that are sure to follow!

(Just to be clear, that was a joke. Thanks for your help and attention to this matter.)

LOL @ Nova

The heart of the matter would be to find the POC (point of contact) NCOIC, CO or Civilian Employee of the location where this dog is trying to be adopted from --- I found this and if you already have it then disregard.

http://www.lackland.af.mil/shared/media/document/AFD-080317-045.pdf

His name looks like it's at the bottom. (for those that don't know, a DSN (defense switched number is a military number and you would need a prefix in addition to that number so --- Just use the civilian number). He may not be the one that determines how the regs are interpreted so if you do talk to him and he says there isn't anything he can do to help---ask to speak to the NCOIC or CO or the Director of the program or have their name. Then contact them. ( It looks like according to his job title that he is a coordinator for adoptions, my bet is he does have a boss).

Just some thoughts. If you already know this disregard. :)

Why are they threatening to put this dog down? According to "Robby's Law" they don't. Unless the dog has serious ongoing medical issues that would effect the dogs quality of life.

Emails sent as promised, Reality Orlando, to the director of the MWD program as well as my senators from California.

Now I just need YOUR address so I can forward all the junk mail and campaign-contribution solicitations that are sure to follow!

(Just to be clear, that was a joke. Thanks for your help and attention to this matter.)

Thanks...it's TRULY appreciated. Lol on the campaign mail.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back