Whose gotten burned on e-bay?

gardenmom

Former Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
I won a coat for my daughter 10/19, and just got it 11/17. I had e-mailed this woman twice asking her where the coat was. The first time she took awhile ansering me back, finally on 11/5 saying that paypal was messed up and she wasn't able to see my info.I thought this was strange since I had just paid for my transcripts and had no problem. So I said no problem, just get it mailed out. So after I got it I saw that she hadn't even mailed it out until 11/12. As if that wasn't bad enough the coat had little tears in the sleeves and wrists. The description said "no tears, rips, etc, excellent condition. So I e-mailed her again, telling her I was upset that it took almost a month to get, and was not as described. I told her I wanted a refund, including shipping. I gave her 48 hours to respond (since in the past she took her time), or I would leave negative feedback. Then the next day I got an e-mail from paypal saying she had refunded the shipping only! No e-mail from her, no message on pay pal.So, I left bad feedback. I hated doing that, but I think it was justified, what do you guys think? I will have to eat the cost of the coat, which was only like $12. I figure I will just donate the coat to coats for kids. I might not have minded the tears if I had gotten it at a yardsale for a couple bucks, at least I would have known what I bought. I don't normally buy on e-bay, so I could kick myself. It was a nice looking Gap coat, and my daughter needed one, so I figured what the heck.

Did you try complaining to paypal for "item not as described"? Sometimes that will work and get you your money back. Also file a complaint with ebay, even though they won't refund for under $25 it will still go on her record. I am a powerseller, I have over 550 positive feedbacks, and I got my first and only negative from someone whom I bought a sweater from and it was full of holes. She promised me a refund, was sweet as pie, but never gave me one although I sent the sweater back, so I forced a refund through Paypal & my CC company. She was mad about it and gave me a negative in return. Along with several nasty emails which I forwarded to ebay and they gave her a warning to quit harassing me. All over a 9.99 sweater :banghead: I think your feedback was justified. I hate it when people try to sell garbage on ebay. It just makes things so much worse for the legit sellers like myself.

I too have been screwed on ebay and when I left a neg, I got one in return. I bought a pair if Nikes for my son when he was about 3. They stated NEW in the ad but when I received them they were definately USED. I wrote the guy and stated they were used and if I had known I would not have purchased them. He wrote back and told me I had perfect feedback and if I left him a neg he'd return the favor. I was soooo mad! I left him neg anyways and he did leave me one. That's another thing I hate about ebay. People are scared to leave a neg when it is deserved because some sellers will leave a neg cuz because they received one. (I understand that some buyers leave negs for really stupid reasons as well) The system is not fair. I am a buyer as well as a seller.
Most of my experiences on ebay have been great though.

Hi gardenmom.. was the seller reputable with a good feedback rating?

I have been buying and selling on eBay for a long time.. my feedback rating is 270 and my husbands is 138 ~ we have never had a problem with a buyer of ours.. and we have never had a problem with a seller.

I have had nothing but great experiences on eBay. but I am selective on who I deal with.. I try to bid on ony auctions with seller has good feedback rating and no negatives and if I get a 'new' eBayer bidding on one of my expensive items ($5000.00+) - I drop them a line and have a little chat, if I am still feeling uncomfortable with them I cancel their bids.

I would think to get a full refund you would have to return the item and that is probably why they only refunded shipping.

Cass, she had good feedback, no negatives in the last 6 months, and only a few before that if I remember correctly. I did notice after I left my neg that she had a couple more within a couple weeks of mine. She must have had something going on. I thought about the shipping refund being so I could send her the coat back, but it was after I left the feedback. You'd think she would have let me know that at least. I probably would have left a neutral because of the shipping, but it was the condition of the coat that really set me off.

I would like to add some advise for Ebay sellers on experience from me.

Allow only one payment per item. If you allow acceptance for more than one. most likely someone is comminting fraud with a credit card. Paypal will tell you this for one payment only.

When you ship or mail, get a tracking number of delivery or confirmation number to verify that the item was received or delivered.

SAVE all receipts for payment and delivery for at least one year.

I had an experience where I sold an item on Ebay. I accepted 3 payments for the item because the lady said she had problems with Paypal. 5 months down the road Paypal contacted me about the payments. They took the money she paid out of my account. Put it on hold till the credit card company was settled. I had no delivery receipt of any type which they requested to verify delivery of the merchandise . I lost along with the amount of the item I sold.....$10.00 per transaction for payment on the item. So that was another $30.00 plus the price of the item sold.

Just a little advise.

I too got taken on ebay. I purchased $30 worth of CDS from a seller. He had good feedback. But I never got my CDs after many unanswered emails I put a complaint into ebay. The seller no longer is registered there. I guess he ripped a bunch of people off and then unregistered. I filed a complaint but due to it being a small amount there was really nothing else I could do.
Sorry to hear about your experience, being ripped off is always a bummer.

Buyer Beware!!!!

First, if you paid through PayPal, you CAN get your money back!!

Second, be cautious when purchasing off of Ebay. MOST sellers are very honest. I have been selling on EBAY for about 5 years (I'm one of the honest ones) and have a feedback rating of about 2800 or something).

Check your sellers FEEDBACK BEFORE bidding on the item. See if they are reputable and how long they have been with Ebay. If you have any doubt, don't bid on the item. If you pay with PayPal and are unhappy with the item, PAYPAL will work to get your money back for you!

I haven't purchased anything from ebay in a long time - but most of my past experiences were pretty good except one. Thankfully the seller insisted on taking out postal insurance for his items - when I complained - he immediately replaced the item - out of 7800 comments, he had no negatives - didn't their use to be a neutral option? Because I recall he had 3 neutral comments - :confused: having something to do with the "quality of merchandise". Hey, I figured out of 7800 pluses, with only 3 neutrals, who could go wrong, right?

The items I bid on never arrived. Like I said above, when I complained - he immediately replaced the items. I responded to him and told him I would reimburse him if the post office validated my claim/loss. 8 months later I received a check from the post office. I immediately sent this amount to the seller and then posted my rating - yes, 8 months later. :innocent:

Thing is, I maintained contact with him and after multiple emails, a few phone calls, so on and so fourth, he never returned the favor by posting a positive for me. I was disappointed and after that experience I decided to curtail my spending with Ebay. :angel: Hey, it was a tough decision but my bank account certainly hasn't moaned to much lately.
I also think after that experience, I took the "Buyer Beware" a bit more seriously. Just my 2 cents. :twocents:

I have been mainly buying on ebay for a few years now. I have had two unpleasant experiences which necessitated my leaving negative feedback. And, yes, they also left negative feedback for me, which I found astounding, since I pay immediately through Paypal. They certainly didn't have a problem with taking my money.

The first one was a wedding gift that I ordered. It was stainless wine glasses. I had them engraved by the seller. I told him to use his expertise in determining what type of engraving would look the best. Well, you couldn't even see the engraving. I tried to contact the seller for a week. He never responded. So, I left him a negative. I gave the gift anyway and was embarrassed as all getout. This seller is no longer registered with ebay.

A worse experience was for a Liz Claiborne outfit. The outfit was not as described. The top and bottom were two different sizes. Plus, it was obviously a second. There were little patches on the inside of the top. It came to me very dirty, reeked of smoke and was shoved in a shoebox with crumpled newspaper. It looked like the seller literally took it off her back after weeks of wear and mailed it to me.

I guess the seller was pissed off that I wrote to her a few times asking when the item would be shipped. I was going on a trip and wanted to take it along.

After I received the outfit, I again wrote to the seller, explaining that the outfit was not as described, it was two different sizes and obviously a second. I told her that I would be happy to mail it back to her. Heck, I had even cleaned it for her! When she didn't respond, I also offered to take it at a reduced price, even though I didn't want the outfit.

Her only response was to leave me a negative. I was shocked, as I thought that we were in the process of working things out. She wrote a complete lie, said that I was a liar and a cheat and that she had reported me, which she didn't. I can't tell you how upset I was. I have received all positive feedback, except for these two idiots.

I left her negative feedback and filed a complaint with ebay (which I hated to do). She also is no longer a registered user of ebay. This experience was so traumatic that I almost quit buying from ebay.

I recovered, though. I do check the feedback and I use paypal as often as I can. Most of my experiences have been good. I have had other sellers send me junk or send me items that were not as described. However, we were able to work it out.

I love eBay *but* have gotten burned a few times .The worst was for nearly $400!!!!!!!! That seller scammed myself and 7 other buyers and we ended up getting together and pressing charges and we all eventually got our money back(the seller was charged was felony wire fraud among other counts).

Id say 99% of my expirences over the 5 years Ive been buying/selling have been positive.PayPal and eBay could and should do more to protect BUYERS (I hate seeing"power sellers" whose feedback is 75% negative!!!!!) but overall I really can't complain!

I have nearly 300 feedbacks, both buying and selling. I have never had a problem
at all. Mostly the items I deal with are for under 50 dollars. If they are a new buyer or seller I am dealing with I try to help guide them through the process. It has always been taken positively and as a friendly gesture. I love Ebay, but I spend too much !!

My son bought a pair of nike jordan retro shoes or so the guy said
we emailed alot and he had a "photo" of what shoes he was selling.
So $150.00, I get an email from paypal that he has to return my $.
Thank goodness. He just made up a new account. The shoes I got were
plastic and from china and not at all the shoes we bought. He wanted them
back. I told him send me 50 bucks for shipping. Needless to say I got my money back and he never got his plastic crappy shoes back... I was lucky.
I try not to buy stuff that is too pricey. :doh:

I've had my good and BAD experiences with Ebay. My mom is an avid buyer and seller and so far she's had good responses. On one occasion I remember she had purchased something and it came as is....Only problem was that someone had stuffed in a pair of black panties in the box! :eek: My mom and I were freaked out, and we laughed so hard we nearly busted our sides. We couldn't figure out if it was a hoax or a really stupid mistake.....

I also had ordered an autographed picture of Hillary Duff that my cousin had harassed me for. The seller had nothing but Positive feedback - and might I add, ALOT of them. So the money was sent thru pay pal but I never recieved my item. Ontop of the fact that after I left my negative feedback after not recieving my item for over a month, the jerk did the same for me.... :furious:

Right now as we speak i'm waiting on a "Live Strong" bracelet that cost me nearly EIGHT bucks - and in reality they're only worth a dollar and the money goes to a good cause for Cancer Research with the Lance Armstrong Foundation. Anyways, its been over a month and no bracelet. After about 4 emails to the seller, the other day I received a email back....the seller told me they had a huge house fire but all items were still being shipped.... :waitasec:

I'm lost on that one......you tell me!

hmmm, last time I heard rubber melts.... I too bought those bracelets, I got 2 for $8.00. All you can be is honest and hope that others are too... :hand:

Within the last six weeks or so, a NEW company has opened not too far from where I live.

YOU personally take your items you wish to sell to them, and they photograph it put it on line and handle the entire transaction. They charge 30% for items under $500.00 and 20% for items over $500.00. Sounds like a pretty good deal to me. I went over and visited with them, and checked the quality of the photographs for items in their inventory now.

I have not taken anything over to them yet. I have a garage full of stuff that needs sorting. I also have items that I made, I am a heavy crafter of things. I have a boatload of denim earrings that I made, bead bedangled shiny patterned scarves (probably give some of those to my daughter in laws who have never seen them, and other STUFF. So will probably test the NEW company out and see how it goes.

I donut know how to do PayPal, is it a secure thing, it sounds sorta iffy to me.

It works great for me. The money comes right out of my checking account. Or you can have it off your visa/mastercard. I have not had any problems as of yet. Alot of the folks off ebay won't do business with checks or m.o. So this is a great thing!!! You have to remember to deduct out of your checking. I almost forgot!!! :cool:

Well, I checked with paypal about getting a refund for my coat. A measley $12, but still... Turns out you have to file a claim within 30 of closing of the auction. So, even if you don't get the item after 30 days, or it never comes at all, you cannot file a claim with them. They said "no exceptions". Phooey!
The seller hasn't left me feedback yet, but I'm expecting bad, since that seems to be the norm. It seems that good sellers leave feedback as soon as they receive payment, and the bad ones wait to see what you say about them. That is so unfair, but I have had it happen before. Anyway, some kid will get a coat with holes, unfortunately.

i would never buy off ebay, thats such a scam waiting to happen.next to your name, put 'please dont burn me'

gardenmom said:
Well, I checked with paypal about getting a refund for my coat. A measley $12, but still... Turns out you have to file a claim within 30 of closing of the auction. So, even if you don't get the item after 30 days, or it never comes at all, you cannot file a claim with them. They said "no exceptions". Phooey!
The seller hasn't left me feedback yet, but I'm expecting bad, since that seems to be the norm. It seems that good sellers leave feedback as soon as they receive payment, and the bad ones wait to see what you say about them. That is so unfair, but I have had it happen before. Anyway, some kid will get a coat with holes, unfortunately.
That's a lesson to learn, when buying from ebay, always pay with a credit card, through paypal. If you pay with a credit card, you can always dispute through your CC company.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
branditau.wareham72@gmail
Back