Page 4 of 32 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast
    Thanks for the pictures of the bridge.

In my very limited and peripheral view of Mariam, who is a stranger, I just cannot see her climbing up to a location like that and jumping. There is a disconnect there somehow, that just doesn't jive.

JMO

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Wondergirl For This Useful Post:

I can't see her climbing up either, this whole thing is way too much, beyond my imagination to be honest. I just don't know. I tend to keep wondering if late at night, someone didn't stop by the rail and well.... you know. I just can't help it. I can't see M doing this, tho.... Yes, I do believe in depression... such a mystery to me.
    Anna Christian Waters Web Page
    www.searchingforanna.com

Anna Christian Water's WS Forum
    www.websleuths.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=104

Search FB: Anna Christian Waters
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/annachristianwaters/

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SideKick For This Useful Post:

I found this paper to be ironic in retrospect...

http://www.torontosun.com/news/toron.../15973641.html
    "Makhniashvili, who in February 2004 delivered a research paper at the center entitled "The Split Brain Experiment and the Mystery of Personal Identity," found himself faced with the thieves after exiting the trolley."

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dotr For This Useful Post:

Last edited by KateB; 04-29-2015 at 02:25 AM. Reason: repair url tag.

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to dotr For This Useful Post:

http://www.thestar.com/news/article/...r-this-weekend
    "Lawyer Calvin Barry said he and Makhniashvili’s parents planned to meet on Tuesday to discuss funeral arrangements at Millhaven Institution, the maximum security prison west of Kingston where father Vakhtang is currently serving a six-year sentence for stabbing three people."

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to dotr For This Useful Post:

Lightbulb

Hi all! I've just gotten caught up reading here and I have a few comments to add. Kindly forgive me as I've forgotten who the posters were who raised some of these topics:

1. All high school text books are provided by the Toronto District School Board. So, YES!, MM's text book(s) would have her name printed in the flap of each book and the name of the school.

2. Someone mentioned pregnancy - I also was thinking of that. Or, worst of all, a series of sexual assaults from a certain period of time. Recently, even.

3. The distance from MM's home to the overpass doesn't seem like too much even for me (and I'm no longer 17 years of age!).

4. By the fearful look in LT's eyes, it does look to me as thoguh she's afraid of someone or of something. But then, to be fair, she has been through a hellish nightmare so who can blame her.

I think thant's all I had to add at this time..............

Seeking justice for Audrey Gleave
    -------------------------------------------
    *ALL POSTS ARE MY OWN OPINIONS UNLESS I GIVE A LINK OR REFER TO OTHERS*
    -------------------------------------------
    “The inspiration you seek is already inside you. Be silent and listen." ~ Rumi

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to No_Stone_Unturned For This Useful Post:

http://www.edmontonsun.com/2012/03/0...niashvilis-mom
    "TORONTO -- The wait is over for Lela Tabidze, neighbours say.

But neighbours of Tabidze -- Mariam Makhniashvili’s mother -- were shocked and saddened to learn police have identified the skeletal remains that were found last week as belonging to her daughter.

“The story is horrible, horrific. It is always sad to find remains. God bless. I feel horrible. This is a no win, win. It is a real tragedy when a young person dies. It is really sad. I’m sad she is gone,” said Desni Jones".

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to dotr For This Useful Post:

http://www.680news.com/news/local/ar...-held-march-24
    "A funeral will be held March 24 for Mariam Makhniashvili, the teenager who disappeared outside her high school 2 1/2 years ago and whose body was found last week.

A lawyer for the family confirmed the date and says it's likely her father will be able to attend."

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to dotr For This Useful Post:

http://www.cp24.com/servlet/an/local.../?hub=CP24Home
    A funeral service for Mariam Makhniashvili will be held on March 24.

Friends are invited to attend the visitation at the Murray E. Newbigging Funeral Home at 733 Mt. Pleasant Rd. on Friday, March 23, from 2 to 4 p.m. and 7 to 9 p.m.

A funeral service will be held in the chapel on Saturday, March 24, at 1 p.m.

The family has asked that a donation in Mariam's name be made to a charity of the person's choice

18. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to dotr For This Useful Post:

belimom is offline Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter ~MLK Jr
    Just now seeing that they have ID'd the remains is Miriam. I am so so sorry, Miriam. I do not think your death was accidental and I pray for justice. May you Rest in Peace...

Fly high and free, Jhessye ~

My posts are meant to help think through possibilities and are strictly an additional opinion under circumstances when many points of view need to be considered. I apologize in advance to anyone whose potential involvement is contemplated in error. Please understand that much of what is happening is merely brainstorming during unfortunate events.

20. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to belimom For This Useful Post:

Police shut down highway to probe location of Mariam Makhniashvili’s remains

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...rticle2371773/

Toronto Police shut down part of one of the busiest highways in the country on Friday as they continued to probe the baffling death of a girl whose disappearance gripped the city.

Mariam Makhniashvili’s remains were discovered last month, ending a 2.5-year missing-persons investigation that sparked wild speculation. But the investigators’ conclusion that her death was not suspicious left many people with unanswered questions.

Police said at the time that they would continue their investigation, including looking at how the teenager was able to get onto the busy highway from which she fell without being spotted.

On Friday investigators shut an off-ramp used by motorists exiting Highway 401 onto Yonge Street, close to where the girl died. The road was closed for about an hour but police have not said what they were after.

“We have officers searching the area where the remains were located,” police spokeswoman Constable Wendy Drummond said in an email.

No further detail was immediately available.

22. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Valleyboy For This Useful Post:

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Canada/2.../19512711.html
    "Officers took new photos from the 401 overpass looking down at the spot where Mariam's remains were found Feb. 28 in a ravine on the edge of the Don Valley Golf Course."

24. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to dotr For This Useful Post:

Red face

My deep condolences to Mariam's family.

I've been contemplating this tragic outcome and started to want to know more about how much support Mariam had as a Newcomer with little English in a Collegiate in the middle of Forest Hill. I'm doubting the school had a Settlement worker. Was she able to take any English courses over the summer to help to prepare her? Were the ESL classes she was taking appropriate?What about her other subjects? Did she have a Newcomer assessment to determine her grade levels? I have so much concern about students new to the country with little English entering Secondary. Mariam may have been a deep intellect in Georgia but to enter the school system as a teenager can be very difficult even when you're bright. And students come with such high hopes and expectations. I'm sure the school did their best for her but maybe this is time to re-evaluate Newcomer services in our schools.
    JMO
    Last edited by sylvic; 03-17-2012 at 07:07 AM. Reason: typo

26. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sylvic For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Valleyboy View Post
    Police shut down highway to probe location of Mariam Makhniashvili’s remains

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...rticle2371773/

Toronto Police shut down part of one of the busiest highways in the country on Friday as they continued to probe the baffling death of a girl whose disappearance gripped the city.

Mariam Makhniashvili’s remains were discovered last month, ending a 2.5-year missing-persons investigation that sparked wild speculation. But the investigators’ conclusion that her death was not suspicious left many people with unanswered questions.

Police said at the time that they would continue their investigation, including looking at how the teenager was able to get onto the busy highway from which she fell without being spotted.On Friday investigators shut an off-ramp used by motorists exiting Highway 401 onto Yonge Street, close to where the girl died. The road was closed for about an hour but police have not said what they were after.

“We have officers searching the area where the remains were located,” police spokeswoman Constable Wendy Drummond said in an email.

No further detail was immediately available.
    I was driving there yesterday, and I do not understand how did she get there. Was she just walking aimlessly and ended up somehow on that overpass and wanted to see where she was and accidentally fell? But why did she leave her backpack at Yonge/Eglinton ( almost an hour walking distance from overpass ).
    Last edited by outcast; 03-17-2012 at 08:15 AM. Reason: sentence

http://sunsetchaser07.blogspot.com/

Culture also affects communication by influencing the recipients' assumptions. Our minds try to twist incoming information to make it fit in our worldview. Since different cultures have very different worldviews, cross-cultural communication is especially likely to change meaning between sender and receiver, as the sender may have a very different worldview from the receiver.

28. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to outcast For This Useful Post:

Finally some real good reporting from The Star

http://www.thestar.com/news/article/...gh-school?bn=1

I was wondering all the time, why reporters from various papers covering Mariam's disappearance did not investigate deeper. How come they could not find the settlement worker who spoke with Mariam and George in the week before her disappearance earlier? We are only now learning about this:

In Mariam’s case, Camilleri said both the teen and her brother were quiet and seemed unhappy during their early-September meeting back in 2009.
    Yet, until recently we were told the opposite.

At their school orientation meeting, Camilleri said she could see the siblings were struggling with their new surroundings. Vakhtang asked all the questions. Neither Mariam nor George spoke.
    I am curious why Vakhtang was in the meeting and not Lela? Lela's English is much more advanced than his.
    Last edited by outcast; 03-17-2012 at 08:34 AM. Reason: link

http://sunsetchaser07.blogspot.com/

Culture also affects communication by influencing the recipients' assumptions. Our minds try to twist incoming information to make it fit in our worldview. Since different cultures have very different worldviews, cross-cultural communication is especially likely to change meaning between sender and receiver, as the sender may have a very different worldview from the receiver.

30. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to outcast For This Useful Post:

Page 4 of 32 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast