1463 users online (332 members and 1131 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

PA Kidnapping Charges + For Bristol Man Thank You Mail Carrier

Luis Lopez of Bristol Borough grabbed two 9 year old girls by the neck and barked that they were coming with him. The girls screamed and a letter carrier helped them. The big plus is he recognized Lopez and told police his addy.

It then came to light that earlier in the day Lopez stalked a 14 year old girl.

Gotta love our mail carriers. I always say the mail person knows all. Thankfully the girls are safe. They mention them by name in the article which IMO isn't too safe.

http://www.buckslocalnews.com/articl...b091610988.txt

These are from the above article. I'm printing them for myself to practice at home with my oldest.

1. Parents should warn their kids not to fall for stories from strangers used to lure kids out of the area (lost puppy, take your picture, etc.).

2. Parents and children should have a secret code word. Use this code word when another adult is required to transport your child.

3. Children should always stay grabbing distance away from anyone, especially if they are in a vehicle.

4. If a vehicle is following you, go in the opposite direction or take a path where a vehicle would not go.

5. If unsure when a stranger walks up to you, run in the opposite direction and yell for help. Practice at home.

6. If grabbed by a stranger do anything you can to break free - scream, windmill your arms to make it difficult to gain control, punch, kick, bite, whatever it takes to get away and report the incident. Chances of escape and survival are much greater outside of a vehicle, rather than being transported in a vehicle to an unknown destination

O/T sorta, but I'll add a couple more to Pistolina's list:

I didn't let my kids yell "help" when playing. My parents were so used to hearing kids yell for help that when I was 8 years old, I was almost drowned in our backyard pool (by a panicking kid who was wearing a life vest) while both my parents stood less than 20 feet away talking to a neighbor. Three adults were present and did nothing while I was being pushed to the bottom of a 6' deep pool with a kid on my back, then I would push off the bottom, clear the water, yell for help, then get pushed back under again. Each time I pushed off the bottom, I aimed for closer to the edge, and after several tries, got myself out of the pool, and told off my parents for ignoring my screams. My mom said, "I thought you guys were just playing". So I was 8 when I decided my kids wouldn't be allowed to yell for help unless they actually needed help.

When my kids were little, I saw something about training children for safety, just like what's listed in the above post. A parent had told their child not to go with any adults who said they needed help finding a lost puppy. They practiced and the parent was confident that the child wouldn't be tricked. Then in an experiment, the "stranger" asked for help to find their lost kitten and the child agreed to go. The parent was horrified. The kid explained that kittens were much more helpless than puppies so it made sense to go with a strange adult to help find a lost kitten.

Quote Originally Posted by TracyLynnS View Post
    O/T sorta, but I'll add a couple more to Pistolina's list:

I didn't let my kids yell "help" when playing. My parents were so used to hearing kids yell for help that when I was 8 years old, I was almost drowned in our backyard pool (by a panicking kid who was wearing a life vest) while both my parents stood less than 20 feet away talking to a neighbor. Three adults were present and did nothing while I was being pushed to the bottom of a 6' deep pool with a kid on my back, then I would push off the bottom, clear the water, yell for help, then get pushed back under again. Each time I pushed off the bottom, I aimed for closer to the edge, and after several tries, got myself out of the pool, and told off my parents for ignoring my screams. My mom said, "I thought you guys were just playing". So I was 8 when I decided my kids wouldn't be allowed to yell for help unless they actually needed help.

When my kids were little, I saw something about training children for safety, just like what's listed in the above post. A parent had told their child not to go with any adults who said they needed help finding a lost puppy. They practiced and the parent was confident that the child wouldn't be tricked. Then in an experiment, the "stranger" asked for help to find their lost kitten and the child agreed to go. The parent was horrified. The kid explained that kittens were much more helpless than puppies so it made sense to go with a strange adult to help find a lost kitten.
    I taught my kids to yell, you aren't my Mommy or Daddy.

I taught my kids that they were never to leave with an adult or talk to a stranger. But one of my kids would have talked to anyone. I really had to keep an eye on him.

I also told them they had to come tell me they were going. An older kid being lured might go if there is a sufficent lure. So I figured that if they thought there was a possibility that I might allow it, they were more likely to let me know. (They were taught that they couldn't leave the property without letting me know first.... then I might or might not give permission depending on what they were going to do. If we were out, they weren't to leave my sight without letting me know first, etc.)
    Just when I think that I have seen the most depraved things a human can do to another human, somebody posts a new story...........

Why is it that when a custodial parent fails to provide for a child it is called neglect and is a criminal matter. But when a non custodial parent fails to provide it is called failure to support and is a civil matter?

"Just when the caterpillar thought its world was over, it became a butterfly" ~ Michelle Knight