Page 1 of 19 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: NY - Colin Gillis, 18, Tupper Lake, 2am on 11 March 2012

sipping coffee at the Purple Rose Theatre

NY - Colin Gillis, 18, Tupper Lake, 2am on 11 March 2012

Colin Gillis, 18, was last seen around the Franklin-St. Lawrence county line between Tupper Lake and Piercefield at about 2 a.m. Sunday.

He wandered away from a social gathering at a private residence on Paskungameh Road, according to state Department of Environmental Conservation spokesman David Winchell.

DEC personnel were setting up a command post at the Piercefield Town Hall this morning, said Piercefield fire Chief Mike Boylan. They got there around 7:30 this morning, he said.
    Lake Placid News Editor Rich Rosentreter reported seeing a young man in the road on state Route 3 at about 1:45 a.m. Sunday as he was heading back from Massena to Tupper Lake with his mother, who lives in Tupper Lake.

Rosentreter said the young man was walking against traffic close to the white line on the side of the road and flailing his arms. At first it looked like the man was hitchhiking, but then it looked like he wasn't.

He wasn't wearing a jacket, only a long-sleeved shirt, and the temperature was in the teens, Rosentreter said. Rosentreter said state police went to look for the man after he reported the incident to them at the Tupper Lake village police station, but to no avail.

Gillis attends SUNY Brockport, according to his Facebook page. He is the son of John and Patricia Gillis.

much more at link: http://adirondackdailyenterprise.com....html?nav=5008

-----------------------------

Police are looking for a College at Brockport student who was reported missing in the Adirondacks.

Colin Gillis is a sophomore at the college. The 18-year-old was reported missing Sunday in Tupper Lake, which is located in Franklin County in northern New York. Colin is from Tupper Lake.
    http://www.whec.com/news/stories/S2534142.shtml?cat=565

-----------------------------

"On March 11, 2012 at 5:30 p.m. Ray Brook Dispatch received a call from Gillis's mother reporting her son missing. He was last heard from at 1:30 a.m. on Sunday, March 11, based on phone records. DEC Forest Rangers and State Police worked through the evening to gather information and organized today's search effort," Winchell said.

"A New York State Police Aviation Unit Helicopter is being used in the search today, and a DEC airboat will arrive on scene shortly."

Gillis is 6-feet-1-inch tall and weighs 170 pounds. He was wearing a white shirt with black stripes, blue jeans and red sneakers.

Ray Brook-based State Police said the search was warranted because Gillis was walking along a desolate stretch of Adirondack forest in wintertime.
    http://pressrepublican.com/breaking2...ke-Placid-teen
    This bee my opinion

This bee my opinion

3. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to nursebeeme For This Useful Post:

While the search is going on, state police are also conducting an investigation, talking to all the people who were at the party Gillis was at, as well as family members and other interested parties.

Gillis just got home on spring break from college. Some have said he left the party because he was upset, but Friedrich said he hasn't had that information substantiated yet.
    DEC said they plan on holding a press conference soon. The Enterprise will provide more updates as the day progresses. Anyone with information is urged to contact state police in Ray Brook at 518-897-2000.
    http://adirondackdailyenterprise.com....html?nav=5008
    This bee my opinion

5. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to nursebeeme For This Useful Post:

http://www.wptz.com/news/30659240/de...#ixzz1p2mdhfwh

DEC Finds Articles Belonging to Missing NY Teen

Late Monday afternoon, the DEC issued this update:

"All told approximately 200 people participated in the search for Mr. Gillis today including: DEC Forest Rangers; State Police Troopers, Investigators, Special Operations Response Team members, and helicopter crews; Search and Rescue of Northern Adirondacks (SARNAK) members, Tupper Lake Police and Fire Department members, Piercefield Fire Department members and more than 150 volunteers. Roads, roadways and the railroad bed were all searched.

Some personal items belonging to Mr. Gillis were located on the Setting Pole Dam Road

New York State Police is now the lead agency in this effort.
    http://rochester.ynn.com/content/all...tudent/#replay

"It's just overwhelming the response that Tupper Lake has shown to us, to help us out in this really tough time," said Patricia Gillis, Collin's mother.

Police say search crews have found two of Gillis' belongings, but they did not go into detail. They also say there's no evidence Gillis was hit by a car or tried to walk across the ice.

The search will continue Tuesday.
    my opinion...........and i happen to agree with it.....

7. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to lauriej For This Useful Post:

bumping up for Collin
    This bee my opinion

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to nursebeeme For This Useful Post:

Party on Paskungameh Rd. Items found on Setting Pole Rd. That's west of the party location. Tupper Lake is east. He lived in Tupper Lake, so was walking in the wrong direction to go home.

11. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to paris_paris For This Useful Post:

I am trying to figure out what time the news editor who saw a man walking in the cold actually reported the sighting to the police. The articles say he reported seeing him at 1:45 AM. This could mean:

A. He saw the man without a coat walking on the road at 1:45 AM, drove straight to the police station and reported it. Later made the connection to the Mom's Sunday evening report of her missing son.

B. He saw the man at 1:45 AM, then he realized it might have been the missing young man after seeing police reports later that evening, so he went to the station and told police about seeing a guy walking in the area without a coat.

Anyone know which scenerio is correct?

I hate to sound suspicious of the witness, but it would be good to know if anyone can verify his whereabouts after 1:45 AM Sunday just to rule out any possible involvement, since he is the last known person to see the missing young man.

13. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to TGIRecovered For This Useful Post:

According to 7 News reporter John Friot, teams have expanded the area of the search.
    State police planned to hold a news conference at 2 p.m. to update the media on the search effort
    http://www.wwnytv.com/news/local/Sea...142487755.html
    This bee my opinion

15. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to nursebeeme For This Useful Post:

The New York State Police will hold a media briefing at 3:30 p.m. this afternoon regarding the case of an 18-year-old missing for nearly three days in the Northern Adirondacks. The briefing will be held at the Command Post in Piercefield.

Police did not indicate any specifics about the briefing.
    http://northcountrynow.com/news/stat...cefield-052046
    This bee my opinion

17. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to nursebeeme For This Useful Post:

Technical Search planned for today

http://pressrepublican.com/0100_news...-for-Wednesday

The DEC is asking for fewer volunteers on Wednesday for a different kind of study of the terrain where Gillis may have been.

"The search tomorrow will concentrate on more technical areas along water and other hard-to-reach locations. DEC does not want to compound the concerns of the community by having someone injured while searching for Mr. Gillis," Winchell said.

"Only those with search experience and proper footwear, clothing and gear should expect to get a search assignment.
    I hope they find Colin safe.

19. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to angelmom For This Useful Post:

Praying for Colin! I hope we hear more details soon too.
    it's a boy! noah xavier was born 11.21.13!

21. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mamacita For This Useful Post:

http://www.wwnytv.com/news/local/Foc...142649325.html

The conditions, he said, vary from bare ground to knee-deep snow.

The focus has shifted from the woods, he said, to along the waterways.

"We've got various resources committed not only to Raquette Pond and upstream, but also on the river itself," Streiff said.

"We're looking in the water, we're looking along the banks and we're just trying to find where Colin might be."
    BBM...oh NO! This doesn't sound good for them to find him lost but safe.

23. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to angelmom For This Useful Post:

Water again?

25. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ThePhantom For This Useful Post:

Prayers for Collin and his family.
    "The opinion prevailed among advanced minds that it was time that belief should be replaced increasingly by knowledge; belief that did not itself rest on knowledge was superstition, and as such had to be opposed." - Albert Einstein

27. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to TripleA For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by paris_paris View Post
    Party on Paskungameh Rd. Items found on Setting Pole Rd. That's west of the party location. Tupper Lake is east. He lived in Tupper Lake, so was walking in the wrong direction to go home.
    Thanks. He went the wrong way and took a bad exit from the main road. I wonder if he had been drinking and why he did not call anyone. Looking at Google maps I estimate he was walking for about an hour (2.5-3 miles) before he dropped some of his personal belongings (hypothermia?). The small exit he took leads to the water and I don't think there would have been any traffic at that time of the night there. Had he gone the same distance east he would have been fine as there are houses there. Doesn't look good

29. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to sherlockh For This Useful Post:

http://www.watertowndailytimes.com/a...WS05/703159875
    Colin Gillis, a SUNY Brockport freshman home on spring break, was last seen walking in the opposite direction of his parents’ home where he was staying.

“No one knows; that’s the million dollar question,” Lyndon Gillis replied when asked why his brother was walking in that direction. “He’s not the type to just disappear and not call anybody.”

31. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sherlockh For This Useful Post:

John told the press he and his wife last saw Colin at about 8:30 Saturday evening. They had dinner with him and watched a college basketball game.

He was excited to go out and see his friends at a party at a residence on Paskungameh Road, John said. He said Colin joked about how it was a reunion of the kids he graduated with in 2011, though it hasn't even been a year since they graduated.

"He was all pumped up about seeing his friends," John said. "We were just kind of laughing and having a good time, like usual with Colin. He was in a great mood - like I said, very excited to see his friends."

John said Colin was also joking about how all his friends in college bought a machine that works abdominal muscles so they could look like him, since he was working hard to get in good shape.

When he left, the family said he didn't say anything strange, and nothing seemed out of the ordinary.

we still haven't heard anything about what happened at the party... and what were the items that were found?

Hope he is found safe and sound
    This bee my opinion

33. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to nursebeeme For This Useful Post:

http://tupperlakepress.com/2012/03/s...raws-hundreds/
    One of the first parties to go out Monday apparently found Colin’s driver’s license on the edge of the south side of the road, west of the intersection of Route 3 and Setting Pole Dam Road, where their search began.
    Teenager Austin Toohey was driving his cousin, Jordan Amell, home to Piercefield that evening when they spotted Colin leaving Paskungameh Road on foot about 1:30a.m. where he had been at a party. They stopped and asked him if he wanted a ride and he declined, noting he was waiting for a friend to pick him up. Austin stopped again on his trip back to Tupper Lake, encouraging Colin to get in the truck, but he again reportedly declined the offer. That time Colin was near the headquarters of Bruce Richards Logging, heading west.
    http://www.wcax.com/story/17156616/c...issing-ny-teen
    The 18-year-old disappeared early Sunday morning after he left an underage drinking party.

That poor kid. It seems that he made some poor decisions that night and now he's probably lost his life. So sad.

36. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to EllaMae For This Useful Post:

I hope the fight didn't follow him

38. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sreshowtime For This Useful Post:

State police Capt. John Tibbits said they're trying to figure out why Gillis left the party.

"That's a lead that we're following up on right now," Tibbits said.

Police are in the process of trying to construct a timeline of where Gillis was and when, as detailed as they can make it.

They've been interviewing and re-interviewing people who were at the party, who Tibbits said have been very cooperative.

One rumor going around is that Gillis was assaulted at the party.

"That's something that we're following up on," Tibbits said. "We've heard that story, too."

He said police haven't yet ruled out the possibility of foul play being involved in Gillis' disappearance.

Tibbits said the police investigation will continue until Gillis is found.

"We never close the book on a missing persons case," Tibbits said.

also says ground searches mostly done and they are now doing technical water searches but have the weather to contend with
    This bee my opinion

40. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to nursebeeme For This Useful Post:

At first, I thought he probably got lost in the woods or fell into the water... but I really believe they would have found him/his body by now if that were the case...they seem to have done a very thorough search and they have also used search dogs. I would like to know if the dogs picked up any trail.
    Now, I am starting to wonder...did someone come along and do something to him? Did he accept a ride from the wrong person.
    I also wonder what his state of mind was...I am guessing that he was drinking...but was he drunk? Did he use drugs? I am not judging...just trying to figure out if he was of clear mind...
    I am so very sorry for the family, and I really hope they find Colin safe and sound.
    I want more details as to what happened at the party....
    Also, where is his cell phone, and did it work in that part of the Adirondacks?
    Where is Colin?

ETA: Also, was it cloudy or clear in the area that evening, because it was a full moon that night and if it was clear...the light of the moon should have helped him find his way. IMO
    Last edited by andalso; 03-17-2012 at 07:05 AM.

42. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to andalso For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by TGIRecovered View Post
    I am trying to figure out what time the news editor who saw a man walking in the cold actually reported the sighting to the police. The articles say he reported seeing him at 1:45 AM. This could mean:

A. He saw the man without a coat walking on the road at 1:45 AM, drove straight to the police station and reported it. Later made the connection to the Mom's Sunday evening report of her missing son.

B. He saw the man at 1:45 AM, then he realized it might have been the missing young man after seeing police reports later that evening, so he went to the station and told police about seeing a guy walking in the area without a coat.

I hate to sound suspicious of the witness, but it would be good to know if anyone can verify his whereabouts after 1:45 AM Sunday just to rule out any possible involvement, since he is the last known person to see the missing young man.

I agree - check him out on fb - not sure I believe any of what he said... just saying

44. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to searcher8621 For This Useful Post:

http://www.whec.com/news/stories/s2543358.shtml

"...Despite a massive search this week, 18-year-old Colin Gillis is still missing. ... have found two of his belongings one of which was a shoe...."

The above quote was in the story when I first read it, but the story has since been updated to remove the quote about the shoe...I wonder why?...was the information incorrect or did the police not want that information to be released publicly? I did not get a screen cap of the original story...what I quoted above is what I got on search results page when I googled Colin Gillis shoe....the story today says nothing about a shoe.

http://brockport-spencerport.whec.com/
    "...Forest rangers and family members are still working to find a missing student..."

I am starting to be really worried that foul play was involved...what happened to Colin?

http://www.whec.com/news/stories/s2535269.shtml

"..News10NBC talks to the person who may have been the last to see the missing Brockport student..."

I do not think this witness had anything to do with Colin's disappearance...in fact the witness was traveling with his elderly mother in the car and drove straight to the police station after seeing Colin.

What happened?

46. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to andalso For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by TGIRecovered View Post

He drove straight to the police station...I am not personally suspicious of him. I am sure he wishes he had stopped, but going to the police, under the circumstances, was the right thing to do... IMO.

http://www.whec.com/news/stories/s2535269.shtml

Rosentreter thinks it was missing College at Brockport student Colin Gillis.

"I saw somebody walking along the side of road. They were almost in the road actually. As I passed them by I noticed he was, he seemed to be acting a little odd and he and no coat on and that warranted some concern on my part," Rosentreter said.

Rosentreter, the editor of Lake Placid News, said he drove the two miles into Tupper Lake and immediately went to the police department. He said the police called state police and a trooper was at the location in 10 minutes.

48. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to andalso For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 19 1234567891011 ... LastLast