1291 users online (281 members and 1010 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

HI - Honolulu, Fem UP10157, 2-4, severed fingers in dumpster, Feb'12

Police in Honolulu are asking for the public's help in finding the answers to a horrible mystery: How did the fingers of a child end up in a trash bin at a housing complex?
    The fingers were found a month ago, according to a Honolulu Police Department news release.
    "Laboratory testing has determined that the fingers are those of a child," police said in Monday's release.
    The fingers are those of a girl, 2˝ to 4 years old, CNN affiliate KHON-TV reported, citing police sources. Six fingers were recovered, according to the report.

Read more:
    http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2012/03/13...ash/?hpt=hp_t2

HI - Honolulu, child's severed fingers found in dumpster, 12 Feb 2012

http://www.washingtonpost.com/nation...v8R_story.html

Honolulu police are looking for information about a child’s fingers that were found in a trash bin at a low-income housing complex. Police say a passerby found the fingers in a trash bin at the Kukui Gardens Housing Complex in Liliha on Feb. 12. The fingers were inside a plastic bag, KHON-TV reported.
    Last edited by OkieGranny; 06-03-2016 at 01:36 AM. Reason: broken link

"They were preserved in a ziploc bag, they had been preserved. They did not smell bad they were preserved," Gina Rose Vendegna.
    Preserved for how long is my question...

Marina Kaneda (4):
    https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/4356/11/

Quote Originally Posted by longtallcold View Post
    Preserved for how long is my question...

Marina Kaneda (4):
    https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/4356/11/

Probably not Marina. Marina's case is classified as an international parental abduction and she is believed to be in Japan with her non custodial mother.

A very sad and scary case altogether. Since these were found in the dumpster of a low income housing area, I tend to think this may be a case of an abused child who was probably not reported missing.
    ~JMO~

A grandfather is someone with silver in his hair and gold in his heart. ~Author Unknown

Long Lost Love - Discovery ID - Disappeared - Bob Harrod Case

You can now purchase Mr. Harrod's Disappeared episode through Amazon, iTunes or YouTube.

Coverage that was on local news last night.

(video)

http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/categor...autostart=true

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2012/03/13...sh/?hpt=hp_bn1

Six fingers from a 2 and a half to 4 yr old girl. And it's been a month? They should see who has moved out of the apts recently.

Horrifying. There's no good end to this one.
    “Justice cannot be for one side alone, but must be for both.” - Eleanor Roosevelt

In no way should any of my statements be construed as legal opinion or advice. While I am a lawyer, I am not a verified poster here at WS. The above statement(s) are an expression of my personal opinion, for entertainment purposes only, and copyright.

http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/1...preschool-girl

I couldn't find a video link.

LE isn't sure how old the fingers are, meaning they could be newer, old or even from ancient burial. From what I'm hearing they were skeletonized and didn't resemble fingers at first glance.

Hope they find the answers quickly. (the news coverage said they have talked to all occupants in the apartments. The Kukui apartments are an affordable housing complex here IIRC they are HUD and there are about 20 bldgs or so. It's in downtown Honolulu near Chinatown. The thing about those places here is that once you get in you don't move unless you have to, there are residents there that have lived there 40 years. Because housing is astronomical here. You can get a 2 bedroom there with a little less than 900 sq feet and it will run about 1200.00 a month or so, conversely if you were to rent in the same area for the same size you would be paying easily triple that if not more).

Sorry if that seems off topic but wanted to share a feeling for the apartments. They are open to the community and if you've never been to Honolulu or Oahu, for that matter, everything is extremely close together and from what I could see on the news their dumpsters are accessible to not only the residents but also anyone walking down the street or in that area. Just sharing.

If they weren't recognizable as fingers and could potentially be VERY old perhaps whoever got rid of them didn't even know what they were.

Quote Originally Posted by DBinMA View Post
    If they weren't recognizable as fingers and could potentially be VERY old perhaps whoever got rid of them didn't even know what they were.
    They were recognizable as fingers. That's why the woman who found them called police to begin with. She recognized those were fingers (although not right from the start, but once she took a better look). Either this child is dead or she is missing most of her fingers.
    Just my opinion

Were they cut off, or did they come from a skeleton through decomposition? It doesn't sound like they were cut off, but they don't say.

I would not be at all surprised if a child cut off several fingers and parents stopped the bleeding and bandaged it, but didn't take the child in.
    You would be AMAZED at what parents will do to save money, or if they don't have it to begin with.

When my daughter cut off a finger we met a couple who's son had done the same thing.
    When my daughter was getting her stitches out... this little boy was getting his hand amputated.

This father, though they had great insurance and plenty of money... had SUPER GLUED his son's finger back on.
    Then waited weeks while infection spread to bring the child in. The kid almost died from infection.
    Super glue was only a dollar, the copay for an ER visit or surgeon would have been WAY more.
    Seriously. I almost threw up right there. I haven't used super glue since.

Quote Originally Posted by MsFacetious View Post
    Were they cut off, or did they come from a skeleton through decomposition? It doesn't sound like they were cut off, but they don't say.

I would not be at all surprised if a child cut off several fingers and parents stopped the bleeding and bandaged it, but didn't take the child in.
    You would be AMAZED at what parents will do to save money, or if they don't have it to begin with.

When my daughter cut off a finger we met a couple who's son had done the same thing.
    When my daughter was getting her stitches out... this little boy was getting his hand amputated.

This father, though they had great insurance and plenty of money... had SUPER GLUED his son's finger back on.
    Then waited weeks while infection spread to bring the child in. The kid almost died from infection.
    Super glue was only a dollar, the copay for an ER visit or surgeon would have been WAY more.
    Seriously. I almost threw up right there. I haven't used super glue since.
    This was six fingers. So two hands were involved and possibly all five from one hand were missing. Doubt a parent would not get medical attention for a 6 finger amputation. The child could have easily bled to death. And the person who found the fingers said there were fingernails on them. So they were not too decomposed.
    But I know what you mean. My parents would have taped our leg back on rather that go to the hospital.

I had to read the title twice

What in this world? I hope they can determine how old the fingers are.

ETA. I just read the article and it says it can't be determined how old they are

Interesting that they were all in a ziploc bag and didn't have a foul odor.
    Last edited by Lovejac; 03-13-2012 at 10:39 PM. Reason: read the article
    Say what you mean, mean what you say, but don't say it mean.
    We are all just trying to make sense of an unimaginable crime.

Two complete fingers and four partial fingers belonging to the same child were found.

Police searched the area and local hospitals, but were unable to come up with any leads.
    Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/03/13...#ixzz1p3UCdjwQ
    Say what you mean, mean what you say, but don't say it mean.
    We are all just trying to make sense of an unimaginable crime.

Quote Originally Posted by SoBeCzar View Post
    This was six fingers. So two hands were involved and possibly all five from one hand were missing. Doubt a parent would not get medical attention for a 6 finger amputation. The child could have easily bled to death. And the person who found the fingers said there were fingernails on them. So they were not too decomposed.
    But I know what you mean. My parents would have taped our leg back on rather that go to the hospital.
    I know this isn't a laughing matter, but the bolded made me laugh out loud.

My dad once cut a planters wort out of the bottom of my foot while I was laid out on top of the washing machine. He was an athletic trainer. . .that's almost a doctor, right? At least that's what they told me. He froze it with some stuff and then cut it out. Both of my parents grew up on the farm during the depression. Good thing I didn't have an appendicitis!

As far as these fingers, we hear about people cutting hands off so that the body can't be identified. I wonder if this is going to be related to something like that.
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.--Albert Einstein

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast