WV WV - Maxwelton, Male Skull 35-55, UP10517, @ old rock quarry, Mar'12

Here's the NamUs casefile for this UID:

https://identifyus.org/en/cases/10517

The remains were originally thought to be Male, but were proven by DNA to be Female.

Age is estimated at 35-55 years old.

There's no mandible or maxilla, so they won't be able to ID via dentals.

But they do have partial DNA profiles, both mitochondrial and nuclear. But the profiles aren't complete, so they aren't eligible for upload to CODIS.

Here's the NamUs casefile for this UID:

https://identifyus.org/en/cases/10517

The remains were originally thought to be Male, but were proven by DNA to be Female.

Age is estimated at 35-55 years old.

There's no mandible or maxilla, so they won't be able to ID via dentals.

But they do have partial DNA profiles, both mitochondrial and nuclear. But the profiles aren't complete, so they aren't eligible for upload to CODIS.

Hiya Carl,
I keep looking for a possible match for Joann Angel, NamUS 14325. She is the right age (51) and gender, right general region of the country though several hundred miles (missing from southwestern Pa), but with no DNA, fingerprints, or dentals for her available, and only partial DNA and no dentals (and obviously no prints) for the remains found in Greenbrier County WV, there seems to be little hope for even a meaningful comparison. The remains seem to be part of a skull and perhaps some limbs.

I did not know Joann Angel but a good friend did. She went missing in December 2011. There has been virtually nothing on her case. I know a bit more than what has been released but not much.

The NamUs casefile on this Jane Doe indicates a postmortem interval of "Years" before she was found. If Joann went missing in December 2011, I doubt that she would be this Jane Doe. The bones, even if they had been quickly picked clean by scavengers, would still have some moisture and would not be dried out (as I suspect these bones were).

They probably would have drawn that conclusion on the postmortem interval based on the moisture level of the bones.

It was late and I missed that tidbit on the case history. You are correct, it's not Joann Angel.

I passed through Greenbrier County last weekend, and for those not familiar with it, it would be just about the best place you ever saw to dispose of a body, other than the ocean. The terrain is so steep that no one walks on much of it, with many winding dirt or two lane roads, and a heavy tree cover in summer. In addition it has Interstate 64 running through it. IMHO this accounts for what would seem to be a relatively high number of unidentified remains relative to the population. It's frankly a convenient dumping ground.

We don't know cause of death for this UID, and I doubt we will. Not much to go on here.

Carl,

Namus still has this listed as a male which is the only reason I bring this up. I'm wondering if no one looked at this possible match because it was initially reported to be male.

Melanie Metheny has been missing since 2006. She was 21, though. Is there any reason why the age is not very likely to be off by that much?

This part of Greenbrier is not very rugged; in fact, the county's airport (such as it is) is right by there.

Her family is very active in the search for her and is very vocal - however they may not have looked into this as the skull is being reported as a male 14 yrs older than Melanie.

Melanie's profile
https://www.findthemissing.org/cases/418

Namus still lists the remains as male. I didn't see any reference to DNA identifying the person as female. Carl, do you have a pointer to where you read that?

This case was updated in Namus earlier this month; still no ruleouts listed. Remains are still listed as male.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CSIFLGIRL46
Back