JonBenet Ramsey's father calls beauty pageants "very bizarre"

Camille

Reaction score
Apologies in advance if this doesn't belong here, please feel free to move it to wherever it does belong.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-31749_1...ys-father-calls-beauty-pageants-very-bizarre/

John told ABC News that he has only caught snippets of the series, but says, "It's very bizarre ... And, it certainly - Patsy [JonBenet's mother] and JonBenet didn't approach it that way ... They just did it for fun."

"Patsy had just come out of cancer treatments, I think deep down she didn't know how long she had to live and how much time she had to spend with her child, so she tried to pack a lot into a day," he explained.

From what little I know about Patsy that's not the way that I read her.

Funny how it didnt take "Toddlers and Tiaras" for most of us to come to this same realization. It took the death of HIS precious daughter.

Apologies in advance if this doesn't belong here, please feel free to move it to wherever it does belong.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-31749_1...ys-father-calls-beauty-pageants-very-bizarre/

John told ABC News that he has only caught snippets of the series, but says, "It's very bizarre ... And, it certainly - Patsy [JonBenet's mother] and JonBenet didn't approach it that way ... They just did it for fun."

"Patsy had just come out of cancer treatments, I think deep down she didn't know how long she had to live and how much time she had to spend with her child, so she tried to pack a lot into a day," he explained.

From what little I know about Patsy that's not the way that I read her.

Camille,
Snippets, snippets, snippets. They all add up. So he retains an interest in such matters does he, I would have thought, given the circumstances surrounding his daughters death, this might be the last subject he might wish to view. All those fine memories, lost opportunities for JonBenet etc.

The silence from the Paughs is deafening, do they watch T+Ts, have they read and enjoyed JR's latest literary opus magnum?

"It's very bizarre ... And, it certainly - Patsy [JonBenet's mother] and JonBenet didn't approach it that way ... They just did it for fun."
That JonBenet was molested is very bizarre and I'll bet she did not do that for fun!

Personally, I know a woman that has her daughters in pagents and she is as nuts as Patsy.
IMO, it's a certain 'type' of person who puts a child through this.

Personally, I know a woman that has her daughters in pagents and she is as nuts as Patsy.

passionflower,
Sure, I wonder if, in some cases, it could be some syndrome as a consequence of former abuse that allows someone to rationalize it all, e.g. this pageant stuff was good for me, e.g. look where it got me, but that other stuff, lets forget it all?

Agreed, passionflower. That's why I get upset when people say that the Rs couldn't have done this since it was such a bizarre crime. Well, PR was a bizarre woman, as were her mother and sister. I don't wish to be cruel, but that's how it stacks up.

Speaking of which, I take issue with JR's characterization of Patsy's approach toward the pageants, that it was just for fun.

That's NOT the impression I've gotten from people who knew them. Look, if you watch a show like T&T, you will witness some pretty insane and obsessive behavior on the part of those parents, the moms especially. What helps to remember is that Patsy was considered extreme even by THOSE standards. The sheer obsession and investment she had in her daughter and her participation in these things was unhealthy.

Nobody will confront John with the notion, but the following is true.

When JonBenet was playing the "Presenting" game with Patsy inside their own house, that was for fun.

When Patsy laid out her first of many dollars in pageant fees, for photography and costumes and talent lessons and travel, it was no longer for fun...it was for money, hopefully even for profit, and for the ego trip of Patsy's being able to say her daughter had won pageants, her daughter at a tender age was already a WINNER.

John will always be in denial on the subject, but JonBenet's pageants were never simple competitions, they were machines for generating money in which JonBenet's face, body, clothes and (what meager) talent she had were exploited for the benefit of adults who wanted to profit from her. There is no question Patsy knew this. Early in her career Patsy worked in advertising. She knew what the concept of marketing was, and she knew that you only sell things towards the goal of making money, not fun. The pageants sold access to a stage to Patsy, and in turn Patsy bought attention from adult pageant judges. Under Patsy's best scenario, JonBenet would win the pageant and Patsy would recoup the thousands of dollars of investment she had siphoned from the household allowance John gave her. Under the worst case scenarios, Patsy would have portfolio upon portfolio of JonBenet's pageant photos and videos to market to modeling agencies. This is evident even in what was supposed to be JonBenet's next pageant, for Little Miss Hawaiian Tropic, a blatantly commercial venue. How can, to this day, John justify JonBenet's participation in a corporate pageant his wife was enthusiastic about as "just for fun"?

(The *really* frustrating part of this pageant stuff is that Patsy did not even have the feeble excuse of wanting JonBenet to win pageants so she could have a tidy college fund in place when the time came. John has made it clear that during the time when Patsy was placing JonBenet in pageants, John felt he was able to make money hand over fist, and if he had not already set up college funds for Burke and JonBenet in the period of 1994-1996, he had the capacity to do so any time he wanted to.)

It wasn't about the money. Pasty had no problem spending almost a thousand bucks for JonBenet's portfolio. Or hundreds for one dress.

Kit Andre in PMPT said Pasty told her whatever it takes she would pay for singing and dance lessons, then she signed JonBenet up for three lessons a week at a hundred dollars a pop. By the second week Pasty was singing and dancing along side JonBenet.

Pasty would pay hundreds of dollars for entrance fees and I don't think JonBenet winning money in the pageants was her way of recouping the money.

Pasty had no problems in over the top costumes (Just like a over the top ransom letter. It was not a note) if it gave JonBenet the advantage over the other little girls.

Pasty wanted to impress and sway the judges.

What sane mother dresses her little girl like a Las Vagas showgirl? What father lets his little girl go on stage dressed like that? Did he think it bizarre as he watched his daughter act like a stripper for money and fame?

The pageants were really all about Pasty. Her ego. Pasty wanted the glory and crowns.

I don't think JonBenet had a choice.

Tricia had it exactly right: Patsy and JB would have been FIRST in line to get on these shows.

Obsessions are never healthy.

When I 1st read that JR thinks these pageants are bizarre, my 1st thought was a shocked,, 'oh, so he has watched?' If my dd was murdered, and her life was forever associated with pageants, (because of all those bizarre pictures), I would never, for no reason, ever watch even a 'snippet' of Ts & Ts. Pageants would be a part of a dark, contaminated past, that I would never go near again. But JR admits to watching and even shares his opinion...which doesn't apply to him or PR, of course. If JR doesn't know what happened to his daughter, how can he be so dismissive of a 'hobby' that potentially exposed her to an unknown pervert? MOO

When I 1st read that JR thinks these pageants are bizarre, my 1st thought was a shocked,, 'oh, so he has watched?' If my dd was murdered, and her life was forever associated with pageants, (because of all those bizarre pictures), I would never, for no reason, ever watch even a 'snippet' of Ts & Ts. Pageants would be a part of a dark, contaminated past, that I would never go near again. But JR admits to watching and even shares his opinion...which doesn't apply to him or PR, of course. If JR doesn't know what happened to his daughter, how can he be so dismissive of a 'hobby' that potentially exposed her to an unknown pervert? MOO

dodie20,
Its a no brainer! The man who disapproved of JonBenet appearing at some pageant in Las Vegas, has to consider the child as a woman thing bizarre.

So bizarre he had to watch. Do I detect a particular preference here?

He is right though, they are bizarre, so much so, I'll never watch one. All I know is what I read in the tabloids.

He said that he only caught snippets of it. Is it really that hard to believe that someone could have an opinion on those shows without actually watching an entire episode? Many news shows have talked about T&T and showed clips from it.

It's true.
I don't need to watch anything starring a Kardashian or Snooki or some knobby wannabe to know that it's trash and that they are bizarre.

Even more so with child beauty pageant programs.

So I'm not sure I would read too much into his comments aside from it being a clear attempt to distance himself as an individual from the negative aura that surrounds these beauty pageants.

So I'm not sure I would read too much into his comments aside from it being a clear attempt to distance himself as an individual from the negative aura that surrounds these beauty pageants.

It's like I said before, llama: it's almost like he's trying to rid himself of Patsy's memory.

N

When JonBenet was playing the "Presenting" game with Patsy inside their own house, that was for fun.

When Patsy laid out her first of many dollars in pageant fees, for photography and costumes and talent lessons and travel, it was no longer for fun...it was for money, hopefully even for profit, and for the ego trip of Patsy's being able to say her daughter had won pageants, her daughter at a tender age was already a WINNER.

I'm not convinced that it was for money, or that Patsy ever expected to turn a profit on JonBenet's pageant wins. The prize money is small compared to the cost of the dress, the entry fees, transport, lessons, etc.

I think Patsy was more interested in the prestige of having a daughter who won the pageants.

Both Patsy and her sister entered pageants, so it was obviously important to her family, and with her being so ill and gainging weight and losing her hair due to chemo and steroids, it probably made her feel special and important again. Even if she had to do it vicariously through JonBenet.

I'm not convinced that it was for money, or that Patsy ever expected to turn a profit on JonBenet's pageant wins. The prize money is small compared to the cost of the dress, the entry fees, transport, lessons, etc.

I think Patsy was more interested in the prestige of having a daughter who won the pageants.

Both Patsy and her sister entered pageants, so it was obviously important to her family, and with her being so ill and gainging weight and losing her hair due to chemo and steroids, it probably made her feel special and important again. Even if she had to do it vicariously through JonBenet.

I agree. It wasn't for the money. The Rs had plenty of it, and Patsy was a big spender, not just on the pageants.
With Patsy, I believe her mother Nedra was a driving force. Patsy and her sister were both Miss West Virginia, and both competed in the Miss America pageants as young women. Neither won, and it was likely a sore spot for Nedra to have had both daughters lose. I also believe that Patsy and her sister were the only sisters in the Miss America pageant history to have both won the same state crown (different years, of course).
Nedra, having struck out twice, was going to get that crown via her granddaughter. The third time's the charm, right?
I also recall Nedra's chilling comment when asked what she and Patsy would do if JB ever said she just didn't want to compete any more.
Nedra said "We will say, JonBenet, you WILL do it".
There you go...

I agree with Tricia-if T&T were on when JB was a toddler-PR would have been the first in line to get JB on TV!!

I did not know PR was from west Virginia and I grew up there.... Those moms on the shows are disgusting I think they want to relive their lives and only way to do it is the pageants.

Fluttershy,
Yes, I agree, there was something going on here. Although the whole Paugh side were involved in the Pageants, even Don Paugh, who helped out with his music collection, and they were the source for the Shirley Temple VHS Tapes, JonBenet used to watch. Its as if JonBenet was being deliberately groomed to presume live performance was just expected of little girls?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back