Rockets to light up the sky

Thanks! I spend a lot of time outside and living about 15-20 minutes from the coast, I'm sure to see them especially if they are night launches (which I love and will miss :(

Thanks! I spend a lot of time outside and living about 15-20 minutes from the coast, I'm sure to see them especially if they are night launches (which I love and will miss :(

From what I understand they are being launched from Virginia. I loved watching the launches also, there is nothing like it. I would stay up all night if I had to, to watch one take off.

Not tonight.

Jim Cantore ‏ @JimCantore

Retweet
Favorite
· Open

NASA has scrubbed tonight's launch of the 5 suborbital sounding rockets from Wallops Facility till potentially Friday: http://sites.wff.nasa.gov/webcast/

Wonder if the mission was scrubbed because the President is having dinner with Prime Minister David on the south lawn tonight. After all we don't want the Pres and the Prime Minister inhaling trimethyl aluminum.

Wonder if the mission was scrubbed because the President is having dinner with Prime Minister David on the south lawn tonight. After all we don't want the Pres and the Prime Minister inhaling trimethyl aluminum.

We don't? :waitasec:

:floorlaugh::floorlaugh:

I remember years ago they dumped boron out of the space shuttle for some kind of test. I just happened to be outside and saw a big read band going across the sky like northern lights.

Scrubbed for radio signal trouble (it's on the link in the first post). Thanks for posting this, as I am in the viewing area, and it is very dark here with little or no ambient light, so it is likely that it would have freaked me out had I not known while out with the dogs... Now to keep an eye on it to see when they will reschedule it for!

I remember years ago they dumped boron out of the space shuttle for some kind of test. I just happened to be outside and saw a big read band going across the sky like northern lights.

Sounds like it looked really cool but I wouldn't care to inhale it.

Scrubbed for radio signal trouble (it's on the link in the first post). Thanks for posting this, as I am in the viewing area, and it is very dark here with little or no ambient light, so it is likely that it would have freaked me out had I not known while out with the dogs... Now to keep an eye on it to see when they will reschedule it for!

Lucky you I'm not even close to the viewing area. Hope your able to capture a video of it and post it for us poor out of the area citizens.

OMG, was that back in the 1970s? I remember because my sister was taking an astronomy mini-course in middle school (from my future father-in-law who was her teacher), and she was supposed to go outside to star-gaze and we all ended up seeing the big red blurry cloud in the sky! I'll never forget that! We stayed up to watch the local news and the meteorologist said it was some type of gas residue from a rocket.

What the heck is a "sounding rocket" anyway? :what:

The first space shuttle was not launched until April 1981.

And I've set my alarm to get up and watch a night launch. :)

OMG, was that back in the 1970s? I remember because my sister was taking an astronomy mini-course in middle school (from my future father-in-law who was her teacher), and she was supposed to go outside to star-gaze and we all ended up seeing the big red blurry cloud in the sky! I'll never forget that! We stayed up to watch the local news and the meteorologist said it was some type of gas residue from a rocket.

A "sounding rocket" is a research rocket, an instrument carring rocket designed to take measurements.

Hey everyone if you are interested in seeing the rockets launch but are not in the site zone there will be a live webcast: From what I understand they will start the site 2 hrs. before the launch. There will be a short briefing tonight on whether there will be a launch tonight.

http://sites.wff.nasa.gov/webcast/

I want to say it was in the 80s some time. It was really freaky because I was on vacation and we went to my moms in Lakewood Il and a bunch of the family were there and we just happened to be in the yard that night. We saw the explanation on the news tool.

Does anyone else get the feeling that there's more to this "test" than just studying the uppermost currents? Like, are they trying to influence the stream to adjust to it's normal, more southerly, position?

I've always wondered about the govs ability to control/influence the weather.

After googling, I opted out of linking to any of those sites, but this wiki page has a lot of info and many reliable resources for further reading.

Weather control - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Hey everyone if you are interested in seeing the rockets launch but are not in the site zone there will be a live webcast: From what I understand they will start the site 2 hrs. before the launch. There will be a short briefing tonight on whether there will be a launch tonight.

http://sites.wff.nasa.gov/webcast/

From the NASA site: http://sites.wff.nasa.gov/webcast/[/QUOTE]

Posted by RCC on 2012-03-16 at 16:43:02 EDT
The ATREX mission has been rescheduled to no earlier than the night of Sunday, March 18. The March 17 count was canceld because of expected poor weather. A decision on whether to count March 18 will be made Saturday evening, March 17 after a weather briefing.

Posted by RCC on 2012-03-16 at 16:43:02 EDT
The ATREX mission has been rescheduled to no earlier than the night of Sunday, March 18. The March 17 count was canceld because of expected poor weather. A decision on whether to count March 18 will be made Saturday evening, March 17 after a weather briefing.[/quote]

Oh for crying out loud, what the heck. Are we going to have to go through this everyday until the 4th of April?

Does anyone else get the feeling that there's more to this "test" than just studying the uppermost currents? Like, are they trying to influence the stream to adjust to it's normal, more southerly, position?

I've always wondered about the govs ability to control/influence the weather.

After googling, I opted out of linking to any of those sites, but this wiki page has a lot of info and many reliable resources for further reading.

Weather control - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I always think about Woodstock when I see the movie that some of the people believed that they were seeding the clouds, and that's what created the rain. If you want to read about something scary read about HAARP.

http://www.bariumblues.com/index.htm

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back