956 users online (168 members and 788 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

FL - Michael Marshall & Sharon Glass for starving, abusing 12yo boy, Titusville, 2012

The details of this case are shocking enough, but it sounded so familiar that I've been searching to see if it's already been posted. I can't find it, so apologies if it has been posted.

TITUSVILLE, Fla. —
    A 12-year-old boy was found locked inside a bathroom of a home where he had been caged and starved for weeks at a time, according to the Titusville Police Department.

"I've never seen kids over there. They have yard sales; I have yard sales they come to. I never even knew kids existed over there ever," said neighbor Tina Ray.

The boy's father, 39-year-old Michael Marshall, was taken away by police Thursday night. Investigators have charged him with aggravated child abuse and false imprisonment.

Marshall's girlfriend, Sharon Glass, 48, was also arrested. Detectives said the two were the only adults permanently living at the home, but four other children and two adults were staying there as well.

WFTV learned on Friday that the boy has been out of sight for as many as two years.

A prosecutor was almost brought to tears when he saw the pictures of the boy, which were compared to images of people held in concentration camps.
    And.....

In another courtroom, a judge was granting temporary custody of the child and his sibling to their grandmother.

The judge though seemed to question whether the grandmother's home was appropriate.

"If the grandmother has ignored these symptoms in the past, I want to make sure that the grandmother is educated on what the child's needs are, so make sure that's accomplished," said the judge.

After court, the grandparents refused to say whether they knew about the boy's condition before the arrest.

Many neighbors said DCF workers checked on other homes on the street, but they don't understand how the children inside the home went unnoticed. Some of the neighbors said they blame themselves as well.

"I feel really bad because we should have known something. We should have suspected something seen something, but we didn't," Dove said.
    more @ link

http://www.wftv.com/news/news/police...adults-/nLTpQ/

The article also notes that the teachers had reported that the boy was being neglected (doesn't say if it was reported to DCF though), and the boy was then pulled out of school and has been 'home-schooled' since 2010.

The other children in the home have been removed by DCF.

I hope the judge follows through to ensure that the grandmother is capable of giving this boy the care he needs. I don't want this boy to fall through the 'cracks in the system' again. Let's face it....they're not cracks, they are gaping holes.

The video still of the father that accompanies this article is so startling my jaw dropped. He looks like a computer generated midieval crazy peasant in a video game. GEEZ.

Prayers that this poor boy lives. It's touch and go for these cases - often the bodily organs are so damaged the victim dies even after being fed and receiving medical care.

edited to add: after watching the video, it was great to see that the boy walked into the police rescue car. He was very thin, but still able to walk. I noticed the girlfriend was overweight. Witch.

Quote Originally Posted by butwhatif? View Post
    The details of this case are shocking enough, but it sounded so familiar that I've been searching to see if it's already been posted. I can't find it, so apologies if it has been posted.

TITUSVILLE, Fla.

And.....

more @ link

The article also notes that the teachers had reported that the boy was being neglected (doesn't say if it was reported to DCF though), and the boy was then pulled out of school and has been 'home-schooled' since 2010.

I hope the judge follows through to ensure that the grandmother is capable of giving this boy the care he needs. I don't want this boy to fall through the 'cracks in the system' again. Let's face it....they're not cracks, they are gaping holes.
    Isn't that sad that it sounds so familiar? And it really does because it has happened several times that have been posted recently and how many more children are hidden in closets and bathrooms, starving? It's sad too that 'homeschooling' is now being used to cover up abuse, that's been on here several times also.

If the teachers thought the boy was neglected and didn't report it to DCF they were not meeting their requirement to report abuse. I'm very interested to find out if it was reported.

Agree on the grandmother caring for the child. How could she not have known about the way he was being treated? If the other children were removed, why not the one who was being abused? So many times the relative allows the parents contact, or to even go back home. This needs to be watched closely by CPS and the court.

From the looks of the father's eyes I wouldn't be surprised if substance abuse was involved in this sad story.
    WHAT IF THE HOKEY POKEY IS WHAT IT'S ALL ABOUT?

you weren"t kidding about that dad

He has crazed eyes *shudder*.........drugs maybe?
    Say what you mean, mean what you say, but don't say it mean.
    We are all just trying to make sense of an unimaginable crime.

Thank you and God Bless to whomever reported this.

You saved a life today.

http://www.wptv.com/dpp/news/state/m...set-police-say

The Titusville Police Department received a report of a young child being unlawfully caged and suffering from abuse, though the report doesn't spell out whether there was a cage inside the closet.

Welfare officials investigated "environmental hazards" at the home in the summer of 2010, though it wasn't immediately clear exactly what those hazards were. Once the investigation was closed, the boy was taken out of school and went "unnoticed for so long," Hoeppner said. There were no other reports from the home or contact between welfare officials and the couple.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1353716.html

lots of info here.

Marshall is the father of the 12-year-old boy and a 10-year-old girl. Glass is the mother of the 5 year-old boy

Marshall also has a 17-year-old son with his ex-wife, Lisa Minshall, 36, who lives in southwestern Ohio. She said her son was still an infant when she and Marshall divorced, and Marshall hasn't seen him since he was 3.

"I kind of feel sick, and I'm kind of happy that that situation didn't happen to me and my son," Minshall said. "If I would have stayed around long enough, he probably would have been abusive to his first son."
    so I guess she is not THIS boys mother? Wonder who the mother is?

hollyblue is offline It may be the cock that crows, but it is the hen that lays the eggs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lovejac View Post

you weren"t kidding about that dad

He has crazed eyes *shudder*.........drugs maybe?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lovejac View Post
    http://www.wptv.com/dpp/news/state/m...set-police-say

The Titusville Police Department received a report of a young child being unlawfully caged and suffering from abuse, though the report doesn't spell out whether there was a cage inside the closet.

Welfare officials investigated "environmental hazards" at the home in the summer of 2010, though it wasn't immediately clear exactly what those hazards were. Once the investigation was closed, the boy was taken out of school and went "unnoticed for so long," Hoeppner said. There were no other reports from the home or contact between welfare officials and the couple.
    After the link above and hearing the father, I'd say "Yep" to the substance abuse. Burnt. Also, there was a bad fire at the residence with 4? children last year or so and with the report of environmental hazards it gets you to wondering. The mother has left her children with this "dude" who is prolly being "supported" by the older woman. Where is the bio mother to the 10 and 12 year old? Geez, live your life the way you want to, but give the children up. Courts have to stop giving these kids back to people who have no clue or want of one in raising a child.

Hope someone keeps an eye on the GP's!

If it's the same Sharon Glass, she has a 27 yr old daughter in Titusville as well.
    Last edited by hollyblue; 03-17-2012 at 04:50 AM.

hollyblue is offline It may be the cock that crows, but it is the hen that lays the eggs.
    Michael Lee Marshall's record in Brevard Co. You have to key in his name, and his birthdate is 7/31/73. http://webinfo4.brevardclerk.us/FACT...stTimeout=1000

I hope if MM's father is a reverand, the children are in good hands. http://www.veromi.net/Summary.asp?fn...ut=&x=113&y=19
    Last edited by hollyblue; 03-17-2012 at 05:42 AM.

http://www.wftv.com/news/news/additi...d-child/nLXZr/

During an emergency custody hearing, Circuit Judge Tonya Rainwater ordered the couple's three children to remain in the care of a grandparent.

Marshall and Glass were charged with aggravated child abuse and child neglect. Both were being held without bond but were brought from jail to attend Tuesday's hearing.

Florida Department of Children and Families officials said they've located the father of Glass' 15-year-old son and are trying to re-establish a relationship. Officials are still trying to locate the mother of the 13-year-old boy and his 10-year-old sister.

additional charges. The 13 year old wasn't the only one abused.

http://www.clickorlando.com/news/Cou...tml?hpt=ju_bn4

A Brevard County man and his girlfriend accused of caging the man's 12-year-old son -- who weighs 40 pounds -- were in court Tuesday morning facing additional charges of also caging a younger sibling and making the child stand guard while the other child was locked up.

Michael Marshal and Sharon Glass were arrested last week on three counts of aggravated child abuse (unlawful caging of a child) and aggravated child neglect. They now also face two counts of aggravated child abuse and three counts of child neglect.
    Titusville police said Marshal and Glass would cage Marshal's 10-year-old daughter in a closet for days at a time. The child would also be forced to stand guard while Marshal's 12-year-old son was being caged, police said.

The couple also neglected to maintain the health and well-being of a 15-year-old, interfering with his ability to attend school.

Father who starved 12-year-old son down to 40lbs by keeping him locked in a closet takes plea deal as his girlfriend gets life in jail

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz2shF23iHX
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
    No temptation has overtaken you except what is common to mankind. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can endure it. - 1 Corinthians 10:13 (NIV)

We are all one poor choice from being a subject on this forum. Think twice.

Quote Originally Posted by butwhatif? View Post

TITUSVILLE, Fla. —

And.....

more @ link

BBM. . I'm sorry. I know that there are many wonderful parents that home-school in the best interest of their child, but how many times have we seen this?!

There HAS to be some kind of safeguard put in place. If you want to home school, then expect a visit by a district liaison every month. I think most legitimate homeschoolers would understand this need.

It's getting to the point that I expect the "they were home schooling" line. Enough! Someone has to be watching these children.
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.--Albert Einstein

Isn't there some kind of checks in place for home schooling? If there isn't, there obviously needs to be. It seems that you can just yank your kids out of school and say they are being home schooled and no one thinks twice.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast