Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: FL - Maria Murphy, 45, Coral Springs, 16 March 2012

I just found out that Maria is my daughter's fiance's friend's aunt (did that even make sense?) I haven't read about the case until my daughter came in and told me about it. I'll see if I can find out anything new and if so, I'll post it. So terribly heartbreaking.

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Adrienne37 For This Useful Post:

I am still always surprised that someone can vanish in the middle of a city.

I suspect that she is in some sort of fugue state. Since she has no money on her- maybe they should be checking park benches and overpasses at night. She has to sleep somewhere.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to deca For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by suzier View Post
    I'm confused. They say in the article and on the video she left her purse, wallet, and personal belongings behind. But, in the video she is carrying what appears to be a purse. Has anyone heard if they have any idea what she was carrying?
    That is definitely a handbag. You can see her flinging it on her shoulder when she gets out of the car. She definitely ran away. MOO

http://www.local10.com/news/Surveill...5/-/index.html

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Janeumayer For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by swanniee11 View Post
    can you map her home address as well? I'm not good with the mapping thing
    I would have but I'm not sure what her home address is?

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Donjeta For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Janeumayer View Post
    That is definitely a handbag. You can see her flinging it on her shoulder when she gets out of the car. She definitely ran away. MOO

http://www.local10.com/news/Surveill...5/-/index.html
    om

How big does it look to you? Someone said it could be a camera case- (I can't watch the video). I guess it could be a smaller, second purse if she didn't want to carry the big one left in her car??

I would have thought runaway- but why didn't she take all the money she just deposited? Why not take the car? It is puzzling.

She is a professional woman who had a good paying career a few years ago, so she must have money of her own. She also is educated and has a family (outside of her husband) that she could go to . I figured if she wanted "out" she would get some money, rent a nice condo somewhere and get a divorce. If she was scared of her husband (no reports so far of DV FWIW) I could see her going to the bank, withdrawing a large sum of cash and then leaving in her car- to go live under the radar out of town until she gets divorced from him.

And finally, I just don't see her leaving without her passport or a few personal items. If she wanted to appear to have runaway taking your passport would be a good clue to leave behind.

I just don't know. I respect that your "runaway" theory could be totally possible- but I still think something is wrong with her. I think because she didn't take out money from the bank.

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to deca For This Useful Post:

"What they fear is that Claudia may be wandering and disoriented because she had been suffering the lingering effects of food poisoning and was taking medication."

http://miami.cbslocal.com/2012/03/24...-maria-murphy/

Maybe my prior food poisoning experiences have been different, but I couldn't go from home let alone far from my bathroom? Now medication I can agree with, but was it for the food poisoning or maybe something else?

I just hope she's ok. Lots of confusing behavior I'll agree.
    “A person's a person, no matter how small.”

“Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not.”

“If you want to catch beasts you don't see every day, you have to go places quite out of the way,
    You have to go places no others can get to.
    You have to get cold and you have to get wet, too.” ― Dr. Seuss

12. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to mahoolin For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by suzier View Post
    I'm confused. They say in the article and on the video she left her purse, wallet, and personal belongings behind. But, in the video she is carrying what appears to be a purse. Has anyone heard if they have any idea what she was carrying?
    I've been known to carry a larger bag with smaller purse inside, but in my case I would have done the opposite - I'd leave the larger bag behind (in the trunk) and take the important things with me if I was going off walking. (even though the smaller in my case is usually heavier with billfold w/driver's license, cards, change etc...) I wouldn't leave anything like that in my car.

I can't remember - do we know if these items were in plain view on the front seat, or were they on the floor slid under the seat to try and conceal?

I'm leaning toward confused state, would you "parade" on the sidewalks of busy thoroughfares without at least trying to somehow altar your appearance if you were trying to disappear?
    “A person's a person, no matter how small.”

“Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not.”

“If you want to catch beasts you don't see every day, you have to go places quite out of the way,
    You have to go places no others can get to.
    You have to get cold and you have to get wet, too.” ― Dr. Seuss

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mahoolin For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by mahoolin View Post
    "What they fear is that Claudia may be wandering and disoriented because she had been suffering the lingering effects of food poisoning and was taking medication."

http://miami.cbslocal.com/2012/03/24...-maria-murphy/

Maybe my prior food poisoning experiences have been different, but I couldn't go from home let alone far from my bathroom? Now medication I can agree with, but was it for the food poisoning or maybe something else?

I just hope she's ok. Lots of confusing behavior I'll agree.

I actually have a little bit of expertise in the area. Some food borne illnesses last for a couple of weeks, but some of the intestinal difficulties might last only the first few days. Some food borne illnesses don't have any intestinal issues. Anyway, even if you don't have many outward symptoms, you still might be on antibiotics for awhile.

Even since I saw that "Disappeared" episode about the woman who had some sort of amnesic episode and was lost for a couple months, basically wandering from place to place until she IIRC ended up in a hospital and LE realized who she was. She still is having a hard time remembering things about her past. I think these episodes are pretty rare, but it could happen.
    I do think the affects of certain drugs can alter your state enough to make you confused enough to wander away. Perhaps then someone took advantage of her.

I hope we hear some new today.

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to deca For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by deca View Post
    I actually have a little bit of expertise in the area. Some food borne illnesses last for a couple of weeks, but some of the intestinal difficulties might last only the first few days. Some food borne illnesses don't have any intestinal issues. Anyway, even if you don't have many outward symptoms, you still might be on antibiotics for awhile.

Even since I saw that "Disappeared" episode about the woman who had some sort of amnesic episode and was lost for a couple months, basically wandering from place to place until she IIRC ended up in a hospital and LE realized who she was. She still is having a hard time remembering things about her past. I think these episodes are pretty rare, but it could happen.
    I do think the affects of certain drugs can alter your state enough to make you confused enough to wander away. Perhaps then someone took advantage of her.

I hope we hear some new today.
    BBM
    Like Compazine, which may have been used-I couldn't remember the whole day when I took that, and felt disoriented for days.
    Evil don't look like anything...

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Shelby2 For This Useful Post:

Looks like a hobo shoulder bag. Tried getting a pic from the video, it's very grainy but you can make out the shape of it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

20. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Janeumayer For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Janeumayer View Post
    Looks like a hobo shoulder bag. Tried getting a pic from the video, it's very grainy but you can make out the shape of it.
    Wow! Thanks! Well, I wonder how large her "regular" purse was that she left in the car. I know women who always carry LARGE purses (like small luggage practically) so maybe this purse she has in the pic is her "smaller" purse for walking around with? It looks bigger than I carry for sure.

I wonder if it could be one of those reusable shopping bags? I can see taking that if you are planning on shopping somewhere. But why not take her wallet? If she is confused from the drugs in her system I guess that would explain everything.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to deca For This Useful Post:

I don't like to suggest this, but I do wonder if Maria may be contemplating suicide. Could she have been tying up loose ends by depositing money and leaving her car at a safe location where it would be found? Possibly she was heading towards the water.
    It seems strange that she wasn't seen with anyone on the video and there have been no further sightings at all that I know of.

MOO

24. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to taagean For This Useful Post:

Suicide? I don't know. There has been no word of depression or anything, but sometimes drugs can do that to a person. I also find it strange (if she was going to the water) that she just didn't drive to the water and park in a lot. I mean, I have only heard of suicidal people parking far away if the location they were going to (like deep in the woods) was not accesible by car. But anything is possible.

26. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to deca For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by taagean View Post
    I don't like to suggest this, but I do wonder if Maria may be contemplating suicide. Could she have been tying up loose ends by depositing money and leaving her car at a safe location where it would be found? Possibly she was heading towards the water.
    It seems strange that she wasn't seen with anyone on the video and there have been no further sightings at all that I know of.

MOO
    I was thinking the same thing...

I also am wondering if this has something to do with the move. It just seems a bit coincidental. Maybe she really didnt want to move and has gone into hiding or worst scenario, above. People have said if she wanted to leave, why not just get her own money and instigate a divorce, but sometimes it isnt that easy. My friend years ago came to my place to hide because she wanted away from her husband, he had no idea what she was feeling (a bit of a midlife crisis at the time)
    I dont think she is wandering because she is sick, I think it is intentional and the second bag has money in it to get away for maybe a little while. I dont know any woman who would leave their handbag with their money and ID in a car........she had another bag for a reason. MOO of course
    REVAMPZ

28. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to revampz For This Useful Post:

I was hoping to log in and see that Claudia has shown up safe. Where are you, Claudia?

30. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 5CentsWorth For This Useful Post:

was wondering about this lady today....dont know if this has been posted or not.

I think she wanted time out.

http://www.local10.com/news/Video-sh...0/-/iileo6z/-/
    REVAMPZ

32. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to revampz For This Useful Post:

om

How big does it look to you? Someone said it could be a camera case- (I can't watch the video). I guess it could be a smaller, second purse if she didn't want to carry the big one left in her car??

I would have thought runaway- but why didn't she take all the money she just deposited? Why not take the car? It is puzzling.

She is a professional woman who had a good paying career a few years ago, so she must have money of her own. She also is educated and has a family (outside of her husband) that she could go to . I figured if she wanted "out" she would get some money, rent a nice condo somewhere and get a divorce. If she was scared of her husband (no reports so far of DV FWIW) I could see her going to the bank, withdrawing a large sum of cash and then leaving in her car- to go live under the radar out of town until she gets divorced from him.

And finally, I just don't see her leaving without her passport or a few personal items. If she wanted to appear to have runaway taking your passport would be a good clue to leave behind.

I just don't know. I respect that your "runaway" theory could be totally possible- but I still think something is wrong with her. I think because she didn't take out money from the bank.
    If she was unhappy about the Tennessee move, she could have been stashing away money and that's part of what's in the black bag. Easiest way to get away is to have cash so you can't be easily tracked through credit/debit cards. This could have been something she was planning for a while.

"Life is life's greatest gift. Guard the life of another creature as you would your own because it is your own. On life's scale of values, the smallest is no less precious to the creature who owns it than the largest..." Lloyd Biggle, Jr.

Let's bring Michelle Parker home: http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...ichelle+parker

All statements made by me are based on my opinion.

34. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Reality Orlando For This Useful Post:

The fact that she had that second bag with her makes me think she did this purposely and it was planned.

"Life is life's greatest gift. Guard the life of another creature as you would your own because it is your own. On life's scale of values, the smallest is no less precious to the creature who owns it than the largest..." Lloyd Biggle, Jr.

Let's bring Michelle Parker home: http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...ichelle+parker

All statements made by me are based on my opinion.

36. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Reality Orlando For This Useful Post:

I don't know about anyone else, but I never leave home without my cell phone. It is attached to my hip. The fact that she left her cell phone at home seems strange. I wonder if she'd done anything like that before....

38. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to traacker13 For This Useful Post:

I just watched the new video and I have to agree that she wanted to just leave. The bag she is carrying is pretty big, and could have cash and items she need to get away. Many missing people turn up later on, years later and when asked why they ran away, they explain what was going on at the time and how they need out. We really don't know what goes on behind closed doors, or what goes on in the mind of people when they behave like this and walk away. Some find there lives, in their mind, too hard or unbearable. I am not implying this is Maria situation, but she may have not wanted to make the move and felt she couldn't tell anyone. JMO
    Your Dream must be greater than your fear!

40. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Skully For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by traacker13 View Post
    I don't know about anyone else, but I never leave home without my cell phone. It is attached to my hip. The fact that she left her cell phone at home seems strange. I wonder if she'd done anything like that before....
    You can always pick up a cell phone or track phone. You can get a new credit card, new driver's licence, new pass ports. If you are going somewhere you won't need these right away, and you want to disappear, you can always replace them at a later date. It is not against the law to leave and disappear.

42. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Skully For This Useful Post:

Snipped for space.
    Do we know if the money and the car belong to her? If it was somebody else's money or the car wasn't paid for or belonged to her husband or something she might have thought it was wrong to take it, or simply not practical (if they were reported stolen she could be arrested).

44. The Following User Says Thank You to Donjeta For This Useful Post:

I want to also comment on the fact that there was video of her walking away and down the streets. Thank God there was. If she had gone missing and no one saw her or what happened to her, her husband and anyone close to her would be under fire. LE always looks at the husband, bf, lover, or closest person or last seen with person in cases of missing people. This has spared the family a lot of undue speculation surrounding them.

46. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Skully For This Useful Post:

IMOO---

She was walking to "directly" too smoothly and with too much "focus" for me to believe that she didn't do this by her own accord. JM2cents. I also have a feeling tha her sister in law (on the video) knows that it is a possibility that Maria left on her own. When the sil closes her eyes while begging for her to come home..it appears to be a body language sign of omission. I may be wrong of course, but thats my feeling on this case, so far.

48. The Following User Says Thank You to BeeBeeOh For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Donjeta View Post
    Snipped for space.
    Do we know if the money and the car belong to her? If it was somebody else's money or the car wasn't paid for or belonged to her husband or something she might have thought it was wrong to take it, or simply not practical (if they were reported stolen she could be arrested).
    Not sure if they are hers- but it is logical she would have some sort of assets. She was an engineer for some time but had not worked the last few years (layoffs? she didn't need the money?). In any case, most engineers I know make good money (+ 100k/year) so she should have something.

Also, IIRC, there was some mention of buying "matching" BMWs. I think with her sister? I don't remember. I hope I am not making stuff up now. Anyways, it sounded like there was some money and probably not all husbands.

The bank money was reimbursement for moving costs, so technically husbands.

Weird walking stuff. Everyone said that she isn't athletic and it was strange for her to walk that much. If she wanted to run- why not park by the bus terminal. I think most people would be comfortable walking 3 miles or so (about an hour of walking). She walked 7 miles! They looked at the bus footage- and they don't have her in a bus. Her friend that saw her said her face was red and she was sweating. That seems strange to me. That and the meds. People feel crappy for weeks after major bout of food poisoning so it isn't the time to go on a 7 mile walk. Why? What the heck is going on here?

Hope to hear an update today. The facebook acct for her has had no new updates last I looked.

ALL MY OPINION and from my faulty memory.
    Last edited by deca; 03-30-2012 at 12:01 PM. Reason: added last sentence as a reminder

50. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to deca For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast