Puppy Chews off Baby's Finger

Steely Dan

Former Member
Reaction score
http://www.wgrz.com/news/article/160655/37/Puppy-Chews-off-Babys-Finger?odyssey=obinsite

A 6-week old baby is recovering after the family pet bit off his finger.

Now his mother is facing a child neglect investigation.

"I did not neglect my child. I was there with him. He was asleep. I was asleep. He did not cry. And I will repeatedly say that. He did not cry, or would have heard him," says mother Jena Stewart.

Stewart was asleep near her youngest son and woke up to find his left pinkie finger was bitten off.

Stewart says baby Bryar is recovering, but doctors couldn't reattach his pinkie finger....

Wow I don't know what to think. I don't have children so I don't know how sensitive their little fingers are.

Is there more to this?

What a freaky accident (if true). The odds of a baby not crying when his finger was bitten off would have to be pretty small imo. How far apart did the mom and the baby sleep? Does she take sleeping pills or anything? Was anybody else at home? Didn't they hear anything either? Why did the puppy have access to the baby's finger?

What a freaky accident (if true). The odds of a baby not crying when his finger was bitten off would have to be pretty small imo. How far apart did the mom and the baby sleep? Does she take sleeping pills or anything? Was anybody else at home? Didn't they hear anything either? Why did the puppy have access to the baby's finger?

I've asked myself those exact same questions and I have no answers either.

Thanks for finding the other cases here at WS, Steely... it really makes you wonder if the nerve function is mature enough to register the pain, doesn't it? :waitasec:

We all know the way the baby's brain develops, and how uncoordinated their little hands (and arms) are-- I wonder, now, if there is some lack of feeling in the extremities as well.

Poor little guy, it's beyond a shame! I don't know why a family would select that time of their life to break in a new puppy (for a three year old! That dog will be mowing everybody down in a few short months...) but, that would be my solution. Don't do it! Wait until the kids are a tad older so the fam can focus on the pup... :baby:

I'm glad CPS is investigating. If it was an accident then I don't think she should be punished.

Good advice from Quiche. Wait until your kids are older to get a new puppy or kitten.

That said, her attitude is disturbing to me.

"He is going to be able to do everything else my 3-year-old does. He's going to be able to play sports, and he's not going to notice it He's not even going to know a difference until he's older and someone says something to him," says Stewart.

bbm...she makes it sound like it's no big deal. WTH?:what:

http://www.wgrz.com/news/article/160655/37/Puppy-Chews-off-Babys-Finger?odyssey=obinsite

As to the question of whether or not babies feel pain, don't they get their first shot at a month old? Anyway, mine cried every time they got their vaccine shots....so......I think they definitely feel pain and cry.

As to the question of whether or not babies feel pain, don't they get their first shot at a month old? Anyway, mine cried every time they got their vaccine shots....so......I think they definitely feel pain and cry.

Oh yes, of course they feel pain-- I mean at the nerve endings in the extremities, not major muscle groups or organs. Just wondering how sensitive they are at three months old at the tips of their fingers and toes-- where we know the coordination is later developed.

She sounded more defensive of her parenting than shocked that her baby's finger had been chewed off. But generally people who are missing one finger do fine so she's right, it's not the end of the world.

I remember my newborns crying in the hospital when they had to have blood samples taken.

One of the other threads had a dead link but the story is here.

http://pets.dir.groups.yahoo.com/group/Feral_Cat_News/message/1146
A really strange case, they say that the chew marks were smaller than the kitten and the kitten wasn't found to have swallowed the fingers but there was no evidence of a rodent infestation in the apartment either, and the mother had had another baby die accidentally.
Anyway, this baby was a month old and screamed after having had the fingers bitten off. The mother didn't notice it, a four year old sibling did.

In the chewed toes case the parents had taken sleeping pills and that's why they didn't hear their child in distress.

I'm glad CPS is investigating. If it was an accident then I don't think she should be punished.

Good advice from Quiche. Wait until your kids are older to get a new puppy or kitten.

That said, her attitude is disturbing to me.

bbm...she makes it sound like it's no big deal. WTH?:what:

I get the feeling that she's repeating what the doctors have told her when she say's he'll still be able to play sports, won't even notice it etc.

She also said this:

"I have to live with this for the rest of my life. I have to be the one to look at my son and tell him what happened and his mommy couldn't protect him because I was asleep.

If she's blaming herself, that's a good sign that she does care.
JMO

call me nuts but i won't make judgement on this yet. first thing i would do is have the baby checked to see his reaction to pain. i know that's as hard to type as it is to hear. but i also know there is a fairly rare but not unheard of not sure what you would call it. where the person's nerve endings aren't as sensitive as other peoples. they don't feel pain the same if at all. chances are the child doesn't have this but you never know. i'm sure there are different degrees of it as with other medical problems.

i remember reading an article not too long ago about a child that doesn't feel pain, ( a little girl IRC)

(ETA) here is something about it http://www.alifewithoutpain.com/ the disease is called Congenital insensitivity to pain (CIP) or also congenital analgesia,

congenital sensory neuropathy (also historically known as Morvan's disease[4]), is characterized by onset of symptoms in early infancy or childhood. Upper & lower extremities are affected with chronic ulcerations and multiple injuries to fingers and feet.

I can't believe they euthanized the puppy. What's going to happen to the baby when he starts to put things into his mouth without knowing any better? Twisted.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back