Page 6 of 61 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 16 56 ... LastLast
    I'd like to also add... the GF's testimony is crucial, because according to GZ, TM ran away, which led to many people, espcially on here question, how did GZ catch a 17 YO athelete. It must have been Tray who confronted Zimmerman, because he could of easily escaped as he continued to run.

Well there you have it... he never ran, thus GZ was able to catch him quite easily, especially with him Tray being on the phone. I think most of what GZ told police initially... was a lie. Tray never walked towards him, Tray never ran away, his hands probably never went to his waistband in a threatening manner. Can't wait to see how GZ fairs in prison.

2. The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to Rob774 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    Yep yep - exactly. You can't confront, pursue or be the first aggressor and then claim self defense. that's why none of this makes any sense. All the investigators on scene had to do was talk to the dispatcher that told GZ NOT to follow him and things would have changed - immediately. Why this didn't happen I have no clue.

At the very least GZ should have been taken to the station for questioning - at the least, until the lead investigator had all the facts and timeline and events. Again, for some unknown reason this did not happen.

The FBI will get to the bottom of all of this.
    Exactly. I'm searching trying to find another case that is even similar to this one, and I have been unsuccessful so far. The cases of self-defense that I have come across are either

1. Someone outright attacks another person or
    2. The people are engaged in "mutual combat," a dispute, and/or a fight

I have not seen any other case where a person was chased down. Even with the road rage incident, they both pulled over and were fighting before the other man was stabbed.

I don't understand what the dispute was between Tray and GZ. Only one of them had a problem with the other. Only one of them was chased, pursued, and attacked. This was not self-defense by any stretch of anyone's imagination.

4. The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to HiHater For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by annalia View Post
    Wow, just listening to HLN.

According to the person speaking, there is an exception to the stand your ground law, called first aggressor law.

It means if you are the aggressor and then go on to lose the fight, you can't then claim self defense.

Interesting
    They can still claim self-defense but they have an obligation to try and escape first.
    Just my opinion

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jjenny For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by ScubaTwinn View Post
    "Trayvon said, 'What, are you following me for,' and the man said, 'What are you doing here.' Next thing I hear is somebody pushing, and somebody pushed Trayvon because the head set just fell. I called him again and he didn't answer the phone."

If it were a cell phone, wouldn't GZ have seen him on the phone? I'm guessing he wouldn't have wanted to confront anyone if he saw them on the phone talking. But if it were a blue tooth/ear piece, it's possible he couldn't see it. I guess it doesn't matter at this point and I don't know why it's bugging me. MOO
    With a head set on, which is tiny, coupled with the fact he had a hoodie on, and it dark / rainy... i don't think Zimmerman ever knew he was on the phone.

8. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Rob774 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by jjenny View Post
    They can still claim self-defense but they have an obligation to try and escape first.
    Murderers can claim anything the want. That's why facts are important.

But this has nothing to to do with GZ trying to escape. It has to to do with evidence pointing to him being the aggressor.

He didn't need to escape from anything if he was the one in pursuit, the only trying trying to escape was Trayvon.

JMHO

10. The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to annalia For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by ScubaTwinn View Post
    "Trayvon said, 'What, are you following me for,' and the man said, 'What are you doing here.' Next thing I hear is somebody pushing, and somebody pushed Trayvon because the head set just fell. I called him again and he didn't answer the phone."

If it were a cell phone, wouldn't GZ have seen him on the phone? I'm guessing he wouldn't have wanted to confront anyone if he saw them on the phone talking. But if it were a blue tooth/ear piece, it's possible he couldn't see it. I guess it doesn't matter at this point and I don't know why it's bugging me. MOO
    Maybe not. Trayvon was talking with an ear piece in. That could be part of the reason why George thought he was on something; Trayvon may have appeared to be talking to himself.

The girl heard someone ask Martin what he was doing, and heard Martin ask why the person was following him, Crump said. The girl then got the impression that there was an altercation in which the earpiece fell out of Martin's ear and the phone went out, Crump said.
    http://www.cnn.com/2012/03/20/justic...ing/index.html

12. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to HiHater For This Useful Post:

I can't believe Zimmerman's father said that because his son is Hispanic he can't be racist? Living in Florida all my life, I can assure you that there are Hispanic people who are racist against black and white people. There are black people who are racist against white and hispanic people! There are white people who are racist against hispanic and black people!

Asian's seem to have it pretty good! Because I rarely see any racism against Asian people?

Pointing out that Zimmerman is Hispanic does not mean that he wasn't racist!
    Justice for Trayvon

Quote Originally Posted by jjenny View Post
    It's an expression that shouldn't be taken literally.

"It is an abomination," said former Broward County prosecutor David Frankel. "The ultimate intent might be good, but in practice, people take the opportunity to shoot first and say later they had a justification. It almost gives them a free pass to shoot."
    http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/201...aury-hernandez
    I disagree with you 100 percent. It is not just an expression and should be taken literally.

There was a homicide and the person who committed that homicide gave no evidence that is was not a murder. Injuries in a scuffle mean nothing if if you started that scuffle.

There is plenty of evidence from the tapes he went looking for trouble. Without evidence to back up his claim of self defense he should have been locked up and charged.

Quote Originally Posted by chefmom View Post
    And, my dear friends, it is coming full circle now! WARNING!!! Uneditted Content!

http://blogs.miaminewtimes.com/ripti...did_george.php
    Just what I've been waiting for. This, ladies and gentlemen, makes it a HATE CRIME.

A hate crime is a legal category used to described bias-motivated violence: "assault, injury, and murder on the basis of certain personal characteristics: different appearance, different color, different nationality, different language, different religion."[2]
    "Hate crime" generally refers to criminal acts that are seen to have been motivated by bias against one or more of the types above, or of their derivatives. Incidents may involve physical assault, damage to property, bullying, harassment, verbal abuse or insults, or offensive graffiti or letters (hate mail).[3]

[ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hate_crime"]Hate crime - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

Now, lock Zimmerman up and throw away the key!!

Change.org released a list Tuesday of celebrities who are supporting an online petition for Trayvon Martin.

Read more: http://www.wesh.com/slideshow/news/3...#ixzz1pgGv1FNv

17. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to daisy7 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by LolaMoon08 View Post
    I can't believe Zimmerman's father said that because his son is Hispanic he can't be racist? Living in Florida all my life, I can assure you that there are Hispanic people who are racist against black and white people. There are black people who are racist against white and hispanic people! There are white people who are racist against hispanic and black people!

Asian's seem to have it pretty good! Because I rarely see any racism against Asian people?

And there are people who grow up in "multi-racial" families who are racist as well!

19. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to HiHater For This Useful Post:

Regardless if what people that came up with this law say, I think it's obvious on what is going on here.

"Trayvon's parents are calling on the FBI to take over the investigation. Sanford Mayor Jeff Triplett said he supports federal involvement. This case is now gaining national prominence for its racial overtones and the seeming foot-dragging of the police, though the Florida Department of Law Enforcement and local state attorney are involved. The FBI also acknowledges being in touch with the Sanford police. But the real culprit is the "stand your ground" law that can tie the hands of police and prosecutors. Once again it has proven to be the menace that its critics predicted it would be."

http://www.tampabay.com/opinion/edit...cle1220845.ece
    Just my opinion

21. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to jjenny For This Useful Post:

Wise Old Owl is offline Retired WS Staff & Founding member of AFKBPOFPOPL
    ITA Adrienne - I knew this last night when I heard it for myself. The feds will charge this guy with a hate crime and prosecute it as such. Its coming. Hopefully it will happen before Thursday when Sharpton is due in town.

JMHO

23. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Wise Old Owl For This Useful Post:

Now that the msm is talking about the underlying mumble....I do have to say I hear two different words one being a slur and the other being "punk" ....this is one of those things a jury should decide....what do they hear? I have to say I'm much happier to hear the GJ is taking a lookie-loo at this case...(not sure why GZ gets a month to disappear first though).

ETA: the first word is clearly the F word...the second is either the slur or punk in my ears

25. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to GiantPickle For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by LolaMoon08 View Post

Lola, I sadly agree with 99% of your post, however I have seen racism both against and by Asians as well.

Unfortunately, ignorance knows no color, ethnic group, or creed.

"I look to a day when people will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character."
    -Martin Luther King, Jr.

Page 6 of 61 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 16 56 ... LastLast