trial thread: 3/22/2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

imamaze

Former Member
Reaction score
New thread for a new day. Please remember the rules

When posting an opinion please remember to use IMO or JMO.

the crown will present its case in chapters:

Chapter 1: The day of the kidnapping. The surveillance video showing Rafferty driving up the street outside Tori's school and McClintic walking Tori up the street. Witnesses from and around Oliver Stephens public school will talk about seeing Tori.
An identification officer will use photographs and maps to show the route from Woodstock to Guelph.
Tori's mother, Tara McDonald, will testify about the frantic hours the family spent looking for Tori.

Chapter 2: Terri-Lynne McClintic. "She was an essential part of all that happened," Gowdey said. "I expect her credibility will be a major issue in this case."

Chapter 3: Guelph -- video surveillance and bank records detailing the events there.

Chapter 4: the Mount Forest death scene, which the jury will visit. "It will be difficult to go to the very place where this happened, I know that, but understanding the crime scene is crucial to understanding the crime," Gowdey said. Photographs, some of them graphic, will be used to explain "exactly how the killing happened."
"Unfortunately it is only through them that you can fully understand (the) evidence," Gowdey said.

Chapter 5: Police interaction with Rafferty.

Chapter 6: The searches of Rafferty and McClintic's residences and the evidence found.

Chapter 7: The Honda Civic. What was found inside.

Chapter 8: Rafferty's connection to the Mount Forest area.

Chapter 9: Comments Rafferty made to friends after April 8. "He had some interesting things to say to other people about Terri-Lynne McClintic and about the kidnapping itself," Gowdey said.

Chapter 10: The May 15 weekend and Rafferty's actions.

Chapter 11: The BlackBerry. The BlackBerry allowed police to track his movements April 8 and after.

Chapter 12: A recap of the surveillance video.
http://www.lfpress.com/news/london/r.../19463111.html

reposting Salem's warning from last week:
Okay everybody - LISTEN UP! We are not bashing, accusing or blaming Tori's family here. It won't be allowed.
Children walk home from school every day without incident. Parents are not perfect, it's just not possible. Tori's parents DID NOT do this to her. TLM and an accomplice DID. That is where the blame goes.
We had a lot of family bashing in the early parts of this investigation after Tori went missing and a lot of baseless accusations - NONE OF WHICH PROVED TO BE TRUE. Victim and family bashing will not be allowed during this trial.
Thank you,
Salem
---------------------------------
and reposting SoSueMe's warning:
As some of you may have noticed, the members following this case are dropping in numbers. It's disheartening to us because we need and welcome discussion of both sides of every issue on Websleuths.
Zero tolerance means ZERO tolerance. Please discuss this case with respect to your fellow members. Subtle and veiled harassment and/or talking in code about other members will not be tolerated.
A word of caution on the Alerts in this forum. If you alert a post, make sure it is a clear violation of our Terms of Service. A difference of opinion is not a violation of TOS.
Please note that everything discussed in court and printed/tweeted is now within the realm of discussion. WS has never and does not now have a policy of "innocent until proven guilty." That is for the court room. Here, we discuss, speculate, theorize and judge according to the opinions we develop from following the case.
Keeping that in mind, abuse of our alert system is a good way to find yourself in timeout or worse. Abuse of the alert systems includes, but is not limited to:
Alerting repeatedly on the same poster;
Demanding a specific outcome;
Alerting on the same post more than once.
Once you have alerted a post, move on and don't question the decisions of our Administrators, Moderators or Owners.
Following this trial is very important to our members and we're going to see that they have their day in court. The "zero tolerance" policy in this forum will continue and it will be enforced.
Thank you and please carry on.
Sue aka SoSueMe
Websleuths Co-Owner

Blatchford: McClintic had no reason to lie about Tori's slaughter (video)

Though the jurors don't have to determine who actually killed Tori in order to reach a verdict here, one question remains, not fully answered either by McClintic in the witness box or in the May 24 video: Why on Earth would she have bothered to lie about which of them was the killer when by both accounts, she surely sunk herself, and so seriously implicated Rafferty?

http://www.canada.com/news/Blatchford+McClintic+reason+about+Tori+slaughter/6338990/story.html

‏ @RaffertyLFP
Waiting for resumption of Rafferty trial - McClintic back for X-examination

Good Morning!

hi-tori-stafford-6598986_450x450.jpg

Gosh, went to yesterday's thread, it said it was closed, but the quote button was still working and there was not link to the new thread. I don't want to complain, but this is the second day now that there is no link to the new thread :)

Going over TLM's criminal record and her angry youth rantings does nothing but make MR look bad too if you ask me. If the defence is trying to make her look like the evil mastermind and MR was just along for the ride, literally, this may backfire.

If TLM's criminal juvenile record is going to be examined, does this mean that MR's juvenile record (if he has one) can be unsealed for this case and brought up in trial?

I would like somebody skilled at statement analysis to review that video and provide their opinion. Just for my own curiousity.

FWIW I went to a workshop on statement analysis of 911 calls a couple of months ago. Fascinating stuff!

I agree. I don't think he dares to grill her about anything that related to the crimes his client is accused of. JMO

I think he will cross examine her about the abduction and murder ... he is one of the best around apparently, The defence's case seems to be welll thought out ... they are going in a logical order, establishing her history and character and showing evidence to back up their defence strategy. If he can poke sufficient holes in her story under cross-examination, her credibility will be compromised, leaving a larger window of opportunity for the jury to see MR at the very least as the more sympathetic of the pair. Having said that tho the forensic evidence has not yet been presented, and from what we know so far, it wil be difficult to refute. There is still a long ways to go in this trial.

If TLM's criminal juvenile record is going to be examined, does this mean that MR's juvenile record (if he has one) can be unsealed for this case and brought up in trial?

I don't think so. I am wondering if it is because TLM is not on trial that this can be done.

IMO if MTR was in the car with TLM and was aware of the hammer and garbage bags she purchased...there is no way he could then say he was shocked that it was used on Tori...I mean why stop for those two things????

Would MTR have given TLM money to buy the hammer and garbage bags at HD without knowing what he was giving her money for? I honestly don't think MTR would have just given her money at TLM's demand. They both knew what was going to go down when that purchase was made IMO.

Here is a video interview on CTV with Steven Shurka who is a legal analyst and speaks about TLM's video confession and how it may become necessary for RM to take the witness stand:

Canada AM: Legal analyst Steven Skurka on the video
Canada AM's

Read more: http://www.ctv.ca/CTVNews/Canada/20120322/stafford-tori-trail-rafferty-20120322/#ixzz1pqvxBUc8

It's the first video on the right sidebar.

Thanks Kitty ... Shurka seems to feel that MR will take the stand. It will be interesting since to my knowledge, he has always proclaimed his innocence. If they show video of his police interrogtations in the courtroom I wonder how he will present himself and whether his story stayed the same, as opposed to TLM, who gave varying versions of the day's events and her participation.

Would MTR have given TLM money to buy the hammer and garbage bags at HD without knowing what he was giving her money for? I honestly don't think MTR would have just given her money at TLM's demand. They both knew what was going to go down when that purchase was made IMO.

Especially when you have an abducted child on the floor of the back seat.

I don't think so. I am wondering if it is because TLM is not on trial that this can be done.

I am thinking that this was probably part of the legal arguments that went on prior to the trial starting ... the defence would say that her character forms part of their defence, and the judge likely agreed that her priors could be revealled to the jury. I dont think that any of MR's priors would be admitted though - if he has any - I think that Canadian law doesn't allow the jurors to know about prior bad acts since it would taint them and the case is to be judged on a "stand alone" basis.

We shall see!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member