AK - Samantha Koenig, 18, Anchorage, 01 Feb 2012 - #6

Status
Not open for further replies.

bessie

Verified Insider
Reaction score
Police seeking information about missing barista
Anchorage police are looking for a missing 18-year-old woman last seen at the Midtown coffee stand where she worked, police say.
Police believe Samantha Koenig locked up Common Grounds Espresso, outside the Midtown Alaska Club at 630 E. Tudor Road, about 8 p.m. Wednesday at the end of her shift. Koenig's family, her boyfriend and her employer have not heard from her since, said police spokesman Lt. Dave Parker.
Court records show Koenig filed for a protective order against a man in November but failed to show up at court. The order was not issued.
http://www.thenewstribune.com/2012/02/02/2010129/police-seeking-information-about.html

Help Find Samantha Koenig

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=161720"]Thread #1[/ame]

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=163405"]Thread #2[/ame]

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=164864"]Thread #3[/ame]

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=165818"]Thread #4[/ame]

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=166213"]Thread #5[/ame]

419628_337901269587868_328733013838027_1061956_217147456_n1-270x300.jpg

http://helpfindsamanthakoenig.com/

Please Continue Here...

Bringing over from #5 thread.

"Keyes would likely travel by airplane with several stops and, perhaps, by bus at some point, Liedike said. The trip could take as long as two weeks, she said. The Marshals Service has its own set of planes to transport federal prisoners, Liedike said."

"Koenig's father, James Koenig, said Friday that the card is not his and that he doesn't know who owns the card.

"I have no idea," James Koenig said. "I'm sure it'll come out soon enough, whose card it is, but at this point I don't know and I'm not going to speculate."

When asked if he had any information on how his daughter might have known Keyes, James Koenig responded, "Sam does not know him. Period."

More here: http://www.adn.com/2012/03/23/238763...#storylink=cpy

Again, interesting comments at the link.

Did I read there was a video of the car break-in showing a bit of the person who stole the card? I'll look back.

Israel Keyes is on his way back to Alaska.

by CASEY GROVE
Anchorage Daily News
Published: March 23rd, 2012 04:42 PM
Last Modified: March 23rd, 2012 04:47 PM

Federal authorities have initiated their transport of the man police called a "person of interest" in the disappearance of Samantha Koenig, according to an spokeswoman for the U.S. Marshals Service.
James Koenig denies the debit card found on Keyes belongs to him.

"I have no idea," James Koenig said. "I'm sure it'll come out soon enough, whose card it is, but at this point I don't know and I'm not going to speculate." When asked if he had any information on how his daughter might have known Keyes, James Koenig responded, "Sam does not know him. Period."

Details about Keyes' arrest:
"Person of interest" in Koening case indicted by grand jury on fraud claim.
By CASEY GROVE
Anchorage Daily News
Published: March 22nd, 2012 09:25 PM
Last Modified: March 22nd, 2012 09:25 PM

The man Anchorage police linked to 18-year-old Samantha Koenig's disappearance was arrested in Texas with a stolen Alaska debit card, rolls of cash and a disguise worn during illegal cash withdrawals in three states in the Lower 48, according to a charging document filed in federal court.
Read more here: http://www.adn.com/2012/03/22/23860...-koenig-case.html#storylink=cpy#storylink=cpy

Link to the criminal complaint and accompanying FBI affidavit in pdf format:

http://media.adn.com/smedia/2012/03/23/09/52/vSBU3.So.7.pdf

Bringing over from #5 thread.

"Keyes would likely travel by airplane with several stops and, perhaps, by bus at some point, Liedike said. The trip could take as long as two weeks, she said. The Marshals Service has its own set of planes to transport federal prisoners, Liedike said."

"Koenig's father, James Koenig, said Friday that the card is not his and that he doesn't know who owns the card.

"I have no idea," James Koenig said. "I'm sure it'll come out soon enough, whose card it is, but at this point I don't know and I'm not going to speculate."

When asked if he had any information on how his daughter might have known Keyes, James Koenig responded, "Sam does not know him. Period."

More here: http://www.adn.com/2012/03/23/238763...#storylink=cpy

Again, interesting comments at the link.

Did I read there was a video of the car break-in showing a bit of the person who stole the card? I'll look back.
Link doesn't come up right now. :waitasec:

A couple of months ago I tried to pay for groceries at the check out and my ATM card was denied. That threw me because I knew I had just deposited 2 payroll checks the day before. I left the cart of groceries and drove very fast to my bank to check it out. I had left my cell a home so I couldn't call them to see why I was being denied. But I was concerned.

Turned out that someone in Texas was buying hundred dollar gift certificates at various stores in the mall. And I was in California. By the time they got to 600 bucks, and i was not answering my phone, the bank closed the card down until further notice. My ATM card was with me in my wallet. But somehow this woman had my pin number and a false copy of my card and she was spending $ as fast as she could. The bank security guy said it was probably skimmed at a gas station or atm machine and then 'sold' on the internet.

But the thing is, the bank shut it down. Computer programs have built in red flags that notify bank security if someone is doing something unusual on a customers account. Usually it is geographical and store driven.

So how the heck did this guy fly under the radar with the bank security system?

A couple of months ago I tried to pay for groceries at the check out and my ATM card was denied. That threw me because I knew I had just deposited 2 payroll checks the day before. I left the cart of groceries and drove very fast to my bank to check it out. I had left my cell a home so I couldn't call them to see why I was being denied. But I was concerned.

Turned out that someone in Texas was buying hundred dollar gift certificates at various stores in the mall. And I was in California. By the time they got to 600 bucks, and i was not answering my phone, the bank closed the card down until further notice. My ATM card was with me in my wallet. But somehow this woman had my pin number and a false copy of my card and she was spending $ as fast as she could. The bank security guy said it was probably skimmed at a gas station or atm machine and then 'sold' on the internet.

But the thing is, the bank shut it down. Computer programs have built in red flags that notify bank security if someone is doing something unusual on a customers account. Usually it is geographical and store driven.

That is true and most banks have a safety net in place. I know when I use my card out of state or make large purchases I usually get a call from my bank asking if it's me using it. I would guess that maybe LE asked the bank not to do this so they could trace him?

O wow I am sure it will be something simple like a bank manger sold IK a dog and on the dogs ID tags was the pin for he's card and he saw IK Break into he's truck and take the card but thought maybe the dog was out of food so let it go after awhile noticed the card had not been returned so he punched in some numbers to he's account and could see no dog food being bought, so FEDS came in to let the manger know the dog was not with him at the hotel either in the lower 48 so charges were filed,

hope that clears it up

That is true and most banks have a safety net in place. I know when I use my card out of state or make large purchases I usually get a call from my bank asking if it's me using it. I would guess that maybe LE asked the bank not to do this so they could trace him?

The whole thing doesn't make sense! I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that when most people report a stolen CC/debit/atm card, the bank closes the account and LE basically does nothing because they don't have the resources. The fact that the indictment is very vague about when this ATM card was reported stolen, how the pin was obtained, and why the account is kept "open" is odd. If this was a skimming operation I think we would have heard about it, like the stolen credit card info at Little Italy a few years ago.

How the heck does JK know, for a fact, that Sam didn't know this guy?

IMHO

This just gets weirder by the day.

I stand by my original theory that JK and SK set this up. <modsnip>

Where are her grandparents? Vacation? Where? My gma hates me, but i bet she'd be here if I was missing :what:

How the heck does JK know, for a fact, that Sam didn't know this guy?

No kidding! I see people that my boyfriend is friends with on Facebook and have no idea who they are. There is no way he can rule out that she knew him. Maybe he was a regular customer, I doubt she fills her Dad in on every guy she serves coffee to.

Here in Chicago, LE can request 'use information' in certain instances (real threat of violence to cardholder is one of the instances, I know this is not Samantha's card but that's the only instance I can remember for sure).
I'm confident there are additional clauses such as would pertain to this situation, but I can't say that without a doubt. It would make sense, however, that this is precisely what occurred: The theft was reported, use information was reported to the police, who then contacted Texas, as that is where the current usage was occurring, and they grabbed him at his first mistake - speeding. I also think the cardholder reported that, at the time of theft, the suspect was wearing the same disguise as was found in Keyes' trunk - which, coincidentally (heh) was the same disguise utilized in Samantha's abduction. JMO and all that.

I'll have to ask @ work tomorrow, what the other relevant 'use information' requests are. But I really think that this would be an applicable situation. MOO

True, but who was going to pay back the money? Luckily, he had some of it rolled up in bundles, but not all of it. It is weird that a bank would agree to give out 3 or 4 grand in cash to a thief in HOPES of LE catching him. They were not actually watching him or following him at all. It was a lucky traffic stop.

Here in Chicago, LE can request 'use information' in certain instances (real threat of violence to cardholder is one of the instances, I know this is not Samantha's card but that's the only instance I can remember for sure).
I'm confident there are additional clauses such as would pertain to this situation, but I can't say that without a doubt. It would make sense, however, that this is precisely what occurred: The theft was reported, use information was reported to the police, who then contacted Texas, as that is where the current usage was occurring, and they grabbed him at his first mistake - speeding. I also think the cardholder reported that, at the time of theft, the suspect was wearing the same disguise as was found in Keyes' trunk - which, coincidentally (heh) was the same disguise utilized in Samantha's abduction. JMO and all that.

I'll have to ask @ work tomorrow, what the other relevant 'use information' requests are. But I really think that this would be an applicable situation. MOO

Thanks for the info! If LE had in fact been monitoring the card the entire time, wouldn't they receive instant notification that the card was used and notify local LE immediately? It makes me think the card was only reported stolen perhaps a few days before his arrest and LE backtracked looking at the security footage from the ATMs.

Thanks for the info! If LE had in fact been monitoring the card the entire time, wouldn't they receive instant notification that the card was used and notify local LE immediately? It makes me think the card was only reported stolen perhaps a few days before his arrest and LE backtracked looking at the security footage from the ATMs.

I'd have to look @ the affidavits (so read this with the caveat that I haven't) - but IIRC, the card was used 2/28 after being stolen on the 2nd of Feb. IMO, they were waiting on pins and needles for him to use that card. It's my opinion that if they were watching the account for any and all activity, they would notify local LE of the successful and/or unsuccessful transactions immediately. Why it took until the 13th of March to catch him is anyone's guess. IIRC, he attempted to use the card twice (once successfully) in AK 2/28 and 2/29. Then, no activity for a WEEK...when he, and the card activity, turned up in Arizona. I'd bet a shiny penny they contacted LE there immediately - but Keyes was bouncing around again. The day after the Arizona activity, was in New Mexico, then two days after THAT, Texas. That is, IMO, what the delay was. He was traveling at a rapid clip through different jurisdictions and they literally had to wait for him to make another attempt on the card, to track him.
Note: I'm also of the belief that he was trying the card, then traveling to another state, etc. specifically to deduce whether LE was tracking him. But I've no backup for that, it's just MOO and all that jazz.

He was caught at a hotel - I wonder if he'd have been naive enough to use the card to book the room/hold the room/pay for the room? I wouldn't THINK so, given his state-hopping while attempting transactions - pretty savvy, IMO. Yet, stranger things have happened.

Or, could a random copper have, upon patrolling the lot (which happens in every hotel I know of in the Chicagoland area, not sure about other areas)...seen the plates, and ran 'em, given that they were looking for a similar car in connection with the credit card fraud, further south (I THINK)? JMO

I believe he was pulled over for a traffic stop...into a restaurant parking lot where the patrons watched the going's on. IIRC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DazzelleShafer