CA CA - Gerald 'Jerry' Greer, 71, Templeton, 28 March 2009

mayqueen

Reaction score
I searched but didn't find a thread for this gentleman.

I actually stumbled across this case on Craigslist while looking at antiques for sale and other misc. stuff. There was a post under "Items Wanted" asking for information about the murder of Jerry Lee Greer, 71, of Templeton, California (San Luis Obispo County).

Authorities Investigating Murder Of Templeton Man (30 Mar 2009):
Greer was found dead in his home on the 2400 block of Santa Rita Creek Rd. Saturday afternoon by relatives. According to sheriff deputies, relatives checked in on Greer after he failed to make a lunch appointment.

The San Luis Obispo County Coroner said, Greer's death was the result of a gunshot wound to the head.

Jerry Greer: Found dead at his Templeton home in 2009 (17 Feb 2010):
Seven months ago, a killer crept into Greer's Templeton home and shot the 71-year-old man multiple times in the head, shoulder and neck while he slept.

The homicide remains unsolved. No suspect has been named. No clear motive identified.

<snip>

Greer was a man of few desires who kept close ties with his family and longtime friends. He lived alone — he had been long divorced — and rarely traveled far from home. He didn't like change and boldly told those close to him that change is what was wrong with the country.

He didn't trust banks and was rumored to keep a large amount of cash in his home.

No one is sure whether that might have prompted the killer to slip in through his back door in March, but authorities say nothing was obviously out of place or stolen.

Attachments

• jerry greer.jpg
    jerry greer.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 10
From September 2012:

http://calcoastnews.com/2012/09/greer-murder-probe-remains-stalled/

Brian Greer, 45, is a sergeant at Soledad State Prison. He recalled that his father&#8217;s body was discovered on a Saturday, but sheriff&#8217;s officials did not immediately notify him or his sister of the death. Instead, he heard about the slaying when a coworker sent him a text the following Monday.

By then, he said, investigators had already completed their forensic examination of the murder scene, and had turned the house over to the victims&#8217; brother, Gene, the night before...

Family problems started almost immediately, Brian said. His uncle &#8220;virtually helped himself&#8221; to Jerry Greer&#8217;s belongings, apparently allowed by deputies, and it took a subsequent court ruling for Brian and his sister to recover the goods.

Comments on that article are interesting, too. Still unsolved as of July 2015:

http://www.newtimesslo.com/cover/12624/gone-cold-a-look-at-slo-countys-unsolved-homicides/

I knew Jerry, I worked at Heilmann salvage from 1995 to 1998. Jerry would come in every week with scrap metal and tell me stories about his life while I unloaded his truck. I remember Jerry telling me that his son ask him if someone could dispose of some tires on his property and Jerry said yes. It was 10 semi truck loads buried in his field. My friend told me about Jerry being murdered back in 2009, he stated that Jerry lived on the end of a long driveway and anytime a car would pass they would know but the night Jerry was killed no cars were heard and there was missing gold from his house. I've never seen that in any news articles so I don't know if that is true or not.

I knew Jerry, I worked at Heilmann salvage from 1995 to 1998. Jerry would come in every week with scrap metal and tell me stories about his life while I unloaded his truck. I remember Jerry telling me that his son ask him if someone could dispose of some tires on his property and Jerry said yes. It was 10 semi truck loads buried in his field. My friend told me about Jerry being murdered back in 2009, he stated that Jerry lived on the end of a long driveway and anytime a car would pass they would know but the night Jerry was killed no cars were heard and there was missing gold from his house. I've never seen that in any news articles so I don't know if that is true or not.

Jerry was a family friend. He was known as the Mayor of Santa Rita Road. Or Templeton CA. I think. The suspects or suspect are on LE s radar. His brother thinks the brother that left town did it. Or a nephew. The community on a whole thinks it was someone close. His cat patiently waited for him everyday to jump in the car for a lift to the house. He was a good man.

From September 2012:

Greer murder probe remains stalled
The failure to solve my Father's homicide directly correlates to the failure by SLO Sheriff homicide investigators to properly identify Gene Greer my Father's younger Brother as the Primary Suspect after crime scene forensic tests could not identify any other suspects. It is established that Gene climbed in bed and embraced my Father after finding him shot to death in an obvious bloodied crime scene. Rather than searching Gene's property for the evidence relevant to the homicide- SLO Sheriff homicide investigators fully endorsed the theory I was responsible which was founded on the lies of Gene Greer and have spent the last 14 years investigating an innocent person trying to justify their mistakes. SLO Sheriff Detective Clint Cole conspired with Gene Greer in the manufacture of a fictional list of my Father's property alleged stolen at the time of the homicide as the only means to tie me to the homicide and attain a warrant on the belief I was culpable to the homicide. There was no evidence to base a legitimate search warrant so Detective Cole relied on the lies of Gene Greer to attain a falsified warrant. Nothing confiscated from my property had any evidential value or in any way tied me to the homicide. What should alarm everyone is why did SLO Sheriff conspire with the only person known in my Father's crime scene? I believed I was being set-up and indeed I was. Fortunately SLO Sheriff's did not plant evidence and my innocence is unmolested. It is my conviction that zero evidence exists that would in anyway tie me to my Father's homicide which is cooperated by 14 years of investigation. The same cannot be said for Gene Greer- he has continually lied to investigators in attempt to incriminate me. This homicide case has been lost due to the negligence of the SLO Sheriff’s dept failure to properly identify Gene Greer the Primary Suspect and fully investigate his involvement to my Father's homicide.

Comments on that article are interesting, too. Still unsolved as of July 2015:

Gone cold: A look at SLO County's unsolved homicides

Jerry was a family friend. He was known as the Mayor of Santa Rita Road. Or Templeton CA. I think. The suspects or suspect are on LE s radar. His brother thinks the brother that left town did it. Or a nephew. The community on a whole thinks it was someone close. His cat patiently waited for him everyday to jump in the car for a lift to the house. He was a good man.

I want everyone to know I had nothing to do with my Father's homicide. I suspect Gene Greer murdered my Father from the comments he's made to me and his behavior. Gene has lied to investigators- even the search of my property was based on Gene's lies when Detective Cole had zero evidence to base a legitimate search warrant. There is zero evidence I was involved because I am innocent. Gene was the only person determined in the crime scene and the SLO Sheriffs should have searched his property instead they wasted that opportunity by spending 14 years investigating an innocent person.

Dear Josh P- your story is alittle off- I was in the NAVY in 1998 and would never allow someone to contaminate my Father's property with 10 semi truck loads of used tires...

Pls read my Facebook post on the SLO Sheriff's FB page.

Multiple gunshots to head and neck, sleeping victim, nothing out of place, nothing missing - sounds personal. But it sounds like he was well-liked in the community, who could it have been?
Pls read my Facebook post on the SLO Sheriff's FB page

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Amberraff
Back