1248 users online (221 members and 1027 guests)  

Websleuths News

Boy, 14, Is Called 2-Time Rapist - will be tried as an adult

A 14-year-old Anaheim boy will be tried as an adult on charges of raping two boys at knifepoint near their school, prosecutors said Monday.

Jose Ignacio Avina is the youngest person in the county ever charged as an adult with sexual assault, officials said. The teenager was charged Friday with assaulting the two boys, ages 12 and 14, each six weeks apart, near Ball Junior High School in Anaheim.

"Kidnapping for rape, use of a weapon to forcibly sexually assault somebody, having multiple sexual assault victims all those things warrant charging him as an adult," said Deputy Dist. Atty. Kal Kaliban.

Avina is set to be arraigned Dec. 10 at North Justice Center in Fullerton. He faces life in prison if convicted on all 12 counts.

He is being held in lieu of $1 million bail at Juvenile Hall. His attorney could not be reached for comment, and his family members could not be reached late Monday.

Prosecutors believe that four times, from Oct. 4 to Nov. 15, Avina approached boys at Ball Road and Euclid Avenue, near the school, and demanded money while threatening them with a knife. In two cases, prosecutors say, he also raped his victims.

The first incident allegedly took place after school Oct. 4, when prosecutors believe Avina forcibly sodomized the 14-year-old boy.

On Oct. 27, they say, Avina kidnapped and robbed, but did not rape, a 12-year-old boy before school.

Then, on Nov. 15, Avina allegedly kidnapped, forcibly sodomized and orally copulated another 12-year-old boy before school. Within an hour, police said, he failed in an attempt to rob a fourth boy, also 12.

The kidnapping charges reflect allegations that Avina forced some of his victims to go a short distance with him.

http://www.latimes.com/news/custom/s...e23nov23.story

Update

Family, Pals Defend Rape Suspect, 14

Friends describe Jose Ignacio Avina as a bully who likes taking things from other children, while his mother believes he's a kind, misunderstood child. But all agree that the 14-year-old is not a rapist.

"He is not a perfect person, but I don't believe he would make a mistake like that," his mother, Matilda Avina, said Tuesday, wiping tears from her swollen eyes during an interview. "He's not capable of doing it."

Avina is accused of raping two boys, 12 and 14, at knifepoint near their Anaheim junior high school, making him the youngest person ever in the county to be charged as an adult with a sexual offense. The boy is being held on $1-million bail at Juvenile Hall.

While Avina's friends and family expressed disbelief, school district administrators said they had waited to tell parents about the alleged attacks until they had more information. Parents received a recorded telephone call Tuesday evening telling them that Ball Junior High School was safe and that a follow-up letter with more details would be sent today. Some families said they should have been told earlier.

"I'm shocked," said Alex Fausto, waiting to pick up his 12-year-old son at the school. "If they knew about this, how come they haven't let us know about it?"

http://www.latimes.com/news/custom/s...a24nov24.story

This happened in my neck of the woods and of course the parent response is typical. I've had responses from parents like this when I confront them about their children's behavior in the classroom. They act as if they have no control over the situation or they ask me to get their child some type of help instead of dealing with it themselves. Not surprising at all.
    The fact that his friends call him a bully is enlightening in itself

I'm sure they must have the forensic evidence to prove he raped the boys. Faced with that evidence, if they were still defending him then it's clear why the boy is so screwed up!

Quote Originally Posted by ziggy
    I'm sure they must have the forensic evidence to prove he raped the boys. Faced with that evidence, if they were still defending him then it's clear why the boy is so screwed up!
    Agreed!!!
    I mean it's not like LE made up rape claims for fun.
    They had to be warning signs about this boy long before this imo.He is clearly the victim of horrific abuse himself which will become the defense Im sure.
    What a mess!!!!!!!
    The saints are the sinners who keep trying...