1964 Torso murders, Long Island and the Bronx

MarshaRice

Reaction score
In researching the LISK case, I have ran across reference to two murders that I would like to find more info on but am having trouble finding anything. These murders took place in late 1964 (November), one torso (female) was found in Jones Beach Park, the other torso (also female) was found in the Bronx. The reference to them that I have found says they were identified and the cases were thought to not be related (?!) but I just can't find anything on these. Does anyone have any info on these cases?

I have found one solid reference to the torso found in the Bronx, but it was in October, not November. October 21, 1964. There was a small article about it in The Bridgeport Telegram newspaper, Thurs. Oct. 22, 1964. I still have not found anything on the torso found in Jones Beach Park around the same time frame so if anyone knows or finds any info on this please let me know.

All I could find was a reference to one torso being compared to Britt Sullivan, a marathon swimmer, who disappeared.

This post links an article (link no longer working) written on Nov. 17, 1964 which states the bodies were found the previous Friday and Sunday...which, according to the 1964 calendar, would have been Nov. 13 (Fri.) and Nov. 15 (Sun.).

[ame="http://www.officialcoldcaseinvestigations.com/showthread.php?t=4780"]Torso Murders 1959-1964 TX, FL, NM & GA - Cold Case Investigations[/ame]

There's Richard Cottingham?

Richard Francis Cottingham is a serial killer from New Jersey known as the torso killer.
He's listed as operating in New York and New Jersey between 1977 and 1980.
But maybe that's because they don't have evidence to show he started his sick hobby years earlier.

Though he was born in 1946 and would have been only 18 at the time. How young do these monsters typically grow their fangs?

I made the same assumptions of the dates from the same reference you found, but when I began to back trace it and actually look for the original sources I only found a reference to the Bronx killing in the Bridgeport newspaper that was in October. I cannot find a reference at all for the Jones Park one, other than the one you saw. Also, I have considered Richard Cottingham just as you mention. I am finding that the more I research the more I am finding that age is not a stopping point and so many of these offenders begin really early in their teens. So, in assessing a possible offender I really look more at signature and locale than I do age.

There's an association of former Long Island State Parkway Police (a defunct law enforcement agency since merged into the NY State Police and NY State Park Police) officers. Try contacting them, they patrolled both the state parkways and state parks on Long Island. If there was a torso found at Jones Beach in 1964 they would have been the investigating agency.

www.longislandstateparkwaypolice.com

Though he was born in 1946 and would have been only 18 at the time. How young do these monsters typically grow their fangs?

I think typically in their 20s, but 18 is definitely not too young. Dahmer killed first at 18.

Cottingham, Richard Francis he actually has one girl that he killed in 1979 that remains a UID but she is not listed in any of the sites or at least I cant find her.

On December 2, 1979, New York City firemen responded to an alarm at a seedy hotel on West 42nd Street, not far from Times Square. They fought their way through smoky corridors to quench a blaze inside one room, discovering two women's bodies there. Stretched out on separate beds, the headless corpses also had their hands removed, legs doused with lighter fluid and set on fire.

The missing parts were never found, but X-rays identified one victim as 22-year-old Deedeh Goodarzi, a Kuwaiti immigrant who earned her living as a prostitute. Goodarzi's young companion in death was never identified. The crime reminded homicide detectives of another unsolved case.

Richard Cottingham | Murderpedia, the encyclopedia of murderers

Richard Cottingham

In the beginning of December of 1979, Cottingham solicited a pair of prostitutes, took them to the Travel Lodge Motor Inn in New York, spent the night torturing, killing and mutilating both of them, removing their heads and hands and taking them with him, and then set the room and the bodies on fire. They were found when the staff saw smoke coming from under the door. Only one of the victims, Deedah Godzari, was identified. The identity of the other remains unknown, though she is estimated to have been in her late teens.

Serial killer Richard Francis Cottingham - Crimes Lab
On the 2nd of December, 1979, Richard set a hotel room alight in New York Times Square. When the police arrived they found two corpses. Their hands and heads were removed and they were set alight with lighter fluid. One of the victims was Deedeh Goodarzi. She was an immigrant from Kuwait working as a prostitute. The other victim was never identified.

The Stomach-Turning Story Of The Times Square Torso Ripper
In December 1979, firefighters were called to the scene of a blaze consuming a hotel near Times Square. As the firefighters moved from room to room looking for victims, one burst through a door only to find the bodies of two women lying on a bed. Thinking that the women must have simply been knocked out by the smoke, the firefighter began carrying one of the women out of the room through the thick smoke that was obscuring his vision and prepared to give her CPR.
But when he went to check her breathing, he discovered to his horror that she had no head.

The other woman had likewise been dismembered, the firefighters soon found. Their bodies had then been soaked in lighter fluid and ignited, causing the very fire that the firefighters were trying to put out.
Once the police arrived, they were able to identify one of the bodies as 22-year-old Deedeh Goodarzi, who was known to work in the area as a prostitute. Investigators were able to determine that the other young woman was only about 16 years old. But to this day, she has never been conclusively identified.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back