GUILTY CA - Shaima Alawadi, 32, beaten to death, El Cajon, 21 March 2012

Reader

Reaction score
http://www.centurylink.net/news/rea...ass&action=1&lang=en&_LT=UNLC_NKNWU00L1_UNEWS

LAKESIDE, Calif. (AP) — The husband of an Iraqi-American woman who was bludgeoned to death in her suburban San Diego home with a threatening note beside her is demanding to know what motivated her killer.

Kassim Alhimidi made his first public remarks on the killing Tuesday at a mosque in Lakeside, east of San Diego. He spoke to reporters after a memorial service for 32-year-old Shaima Alawadi.
-------

Shaima Alawadi and her family fled Iraq nearly two decades ago as Saddam Hussein crushed a Shiite uprising, settling in the U.S. so they would no longer face persecution, a family friend said.

Alawadi, 32, grew up in the country's largest Iraqi enclaves, wore the Muslim headscarf and volunteered at the mosque.

Now, after her body was found severely beaten in her suburban San Diego home, police, the FBI and members of the Iraqi community are wondering whether her death was a hate crime or something else.

Among the evidence that police have collected is a threatening note that was near Alawadi's body. Her daughter told a television station that it said: "Go back to your country, you terrorist."

El Cajon Police Chief James Redman declined to discuss the contents of the note Monday, though he said that it has led police to regard the killing as a possible hate crime. He said he was confident the case would be solved.

"I want to stress there is other evidence in this case that we are looking at and the possibility this is a hate crime is just one aspect," Redman said.
------

The FBI, which is assisting El Cajon police in the investigation, defines a hate crime as an offense motivated by a bias against race, religion, ethnicity, disability or sexual orientation. There were 1,409 hate crimes nationwide based on religion during 2010, including 186 targeting Muslims. There were 1,040 based on ethnicity or national origin, including 359 targeting groups other than Hispanics.

More at link.....

This poor woman! There is something about the threatening note that doesn't ring true for me. I have no clue why, or what that might mean, but it just doesn't feel right in my gut.

I'm wondering, why her? One woman living in "one of the nation's largest enclaves of Iraqi immigrants." (Per link in OP)

Was she the only "terrorist" in that whole enclave? uh ... It's all most peculiar.

And a tragedy for those who love her.

This poor woman! There is something about the threatening note that doesn't ring true for me. I have no clue why, or what that might mean, but it just doesn't feel right in my gut.

I'm wondering, why her? One woman living in "one of the nation's largest enclaves of Iraqi immigrants." (Per link in OP)

Was she the only "terrorist" in that whole enclave? uh ... It's all most peculiar.

And a tragedy for those who love her.

I have a hinky alert ringing in my head.....I think the note was written to distract attention AWAY from the real motive.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/46874835

"We don't know if it was a hate crime," Salam al-Marayati, president of Muslim Public Affairs Council in Los Angeles, said at the service.

"We are here to grieve with the family of Shaima. We are here for her today. We are here to show our love and respect for her family. We don't know what the facts of the case are," he said.
------

"We strongly believe that this is an isolated incident," El Cajon Police Chief Jim Redman told reporters on Monday. "There is no free-flowing hostility."

Foxworth also emphasized that the attack was an "isolated incident," but would not comment on suspects or evidence.

More at link....

So my first thought is the husband. My second thought is the teen daughter's boyfriend. My last thought is a random Iraqi-hater. If he wanted to target an Iraqi, he could just rob a cab and kill the driver or go into a liquor store.

And really who leaves a note?

My bet is with the fake note to distract from the fact that this was a very personal crime, committed by someone who knew the victim well. I hate to say it, but it looks like the husband to me unless there is another very controlling close relative or rejected suitor. MOO

http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2012/apr/04/records-hint-iraqi-womans-death-not-a-hate-crime/

"Search warrant records obtained Wednesday in the beating death of an Iraqi-American woman show a family in turmoil and cast doubt on the likelihood that her slaying was a hate crime.

Shaima Alawadi, a 32-year-old mother of five, was apparently planning to divorce her husband and move to Texas when she was killed, a family member told investigators, according to the court documents."

BBM. More at link

Surprise surprise. Husband hasn't been arrested yet but not looking good for him!

Husband ordered to trial in Iraqi-American's death

http://www.centurylink.net/news/rea...p-calif_judge_hears_case_of_slain_iraqiame-ap

EL CAJON, Calif. (AP) — A judge on Friday ordered an Iraqi immigrant to stand trial in California in the killing of his wife, whose fatal beating prompted international condemnation because it had appeared to be a hate crime.

San Diego County Superior Court Judge Lantz Lewis announced his decision after Kassim Alhimidi's lawyer urged the court to let his client go, saying there is no forensic evidence linking him to the death of his wife, 32-year-old Shaima Alawadi.............

The judge said the most persuasive evidence for him was street-camera footage that indicates Alhimidi might have driven a short distance from home that fateful March 21, 2012, morning and parked his car — contradicting his story to investigators that he had gone for a drive to relax at that time.

"It appears to be a lie," Lewis said in explaining his ruling.

The footage shows a person getting out of a parked red car resembling Alhimidi's vehicle around the corner from the home and then walking back to it an hour later.

Lewis also cited a deadly weapon charge against Alhimidi as reason to keep him in custody............

The trial was set for Aug. 8.

More in 3 p. article....

I would almost call this a reverse hate crime. He tried to use the perceived hatred of others to try to cover up what he did. Thus causing more hatred and resentment.

So he's less a "widower" and more a "murderer" now...

Poor woman.

Unbelievable. :stormingmad:

I guess we missed the trial but the jury has reached a verdict and it will be read at 1:30 PDT.

I guess this trial has been something else. The accused has been wailing and crying during the whole trial.

fran

Verdict Reached in Kassim Al-Himidi Murder Trial

Kassim Al-Himidi 49, is accused of fatally beating his wife, Shaima Alawadi, 32, in March 2012 in a case originally thought to be a hate crime

Source: http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/loc...-Cajon-San-Diego-255551271.html#ixzz2zAfsFN7C

Kassim Alhimidi speaks out after guilty verdict

EL CAJON - An Iraqi immigrant convicted of beating his wife to death spoke to 10News one day after the guilty verdict and courtroom mayhem that followed.

A dejected Kassim Alhimidi expressed dark thoughts during the jailhouse interview Friday.

“God help me,” Alhimidi said. “He no help me, God, maybe I need die. I need die.”

read more ....... http://www.10news.com/news/kassim-alhimidi-speaks-out-after-guilty-verdict

On Thursday, after the verdict and an intense day in court, NBC 7 spoke exclusively with Alawadi’s sister, Mirian, who said there is still at least one person who believes in Al-Himidi is innocent.
That person is his oldest son.
Related Stories
Screams Erupt as Guilty Verdict Is Read in Murder Trial
Trial Wraps for Man Accused of Killing Wife
Trial Wraps for Man Accused of Killing Wife
Defense Tries to Implicate Teen in Father's Murder Trial
After the guilty verdict was read, the son shouted in the courtroom: “This is bullsh**! This is *advertiser censored**ing bullsh**! My dad is innocent. He was tried unfairly.”

Mirian said most of her family believes Al-Himidi did kill Alawadi. But the couple’s older son is the exception. That opposition has caused a rift in the family.

Source: http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/loc...-Kassim-AlHimidi-255803361.html#ixzz2zM7DUodm
Follow us: @nbcsandiego on Twitter | NBCSanDiego on Facebook

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohbeehaave
Back