650 users online (78 members and 572 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

WA - Heather Braaten, 35, Ballard, 20 March 2012

URGENT! Heather Braaten, 35, Missing since March 20/12 Severely depressed!

She was reported missing by her Mother, and her brother states that she is seriously depressed. She is a very popular AFOL (Adult Fan of Lego) enthusiast, and has been missing since March 20. She deleted most of her online accounts in January, made a recent Lego purchase March 5 and left feedback March 6..

Missing person last seen in Ballard

"Thirty-five year-old Heather has been missing since March 20th, and she was last known to be in the Ballard area, according to brother Ian Schmitz.

She's 5'11'' tall, has blond hair, and wears glasses. Schmitz says she's seriously depressed and needs help. "

http://www.ballardnewstribune.com/20...t-seen-ballard

http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6037/6...4389e034_o.jpg Missing Poster

http://www.waspc.org/mp/missing.php?wac=12M0004558 Washington State Missing Persons Report

http://www.brickset.com/news/article/?ID=2854

"... staple of the LEGO community is missing. Her name is Heather Braaten and went by HeatherLEGOgirl here online. A couple months ago she removed her flickr, facebook, and MOCPages profiles but now her mother has called a fellow LEGO fan this morning stating that she was missing and has been since last Tuesday. "

http://modelbuildingsecrets.wordpres...rl-is-missing/

More images:
    http://www.bricklink.com/memberCollage.asp?uID=160810
    http://www.bricklink.com/images/CollageImg/160810.jpg?1 with hair down

PLEASE, if there is anyone here from the Ballard, Seattle area please keep a look out for her. Please help spread the word any way possible. Alot of folks are very worried about her.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Hamsterdance; 03-28-2012 at 10:15 PM.

Oh gosh. I opened this thread because I remember being severely depressed and longing to disappear. My heart goes out to heather and to her mom. I am nowhere near them but I am sending good thoughts their way. I hope that Heather and the people who are looking for her will find peace.
    now an official Penn State alum!

Kindness is magic. (Derek)

@JaneDoe25 (Twitter) <~~~ videos & pics of Harry right here

Any cellphone or credit card activity?
    Hoping she's found safe.

Quote Originally Posted by PHB View Post
    Any cellphone or credit card activity?
    Hoping she's found safe.
    No word on that yet. I've passed along some helpful links from here, and the family is contacting media. Hopeful more info will be shared soon.

Quote Originally Posted by PlainJaneDoe View Post
    Oh gosh. I opened this thread because I remember being severely depressed and longing to disappear. My heart goes out to heather and to her mom. I am nowhere near them but I am sending good thoughts their way. I hope that Heather and the people who are looking for her will find peace.
    Thanks- I just hope she contacts her mom or brother soon.

SmoothOperator is offline Sadly what connects all these puzzles is that there's a victim@the heart of each
    She was last seen on foot? Am I understanding that correctly? That scares me.. did she have access to a car I notice the missing flier also states she had keys with her when last seen? ..do we know why she was on foot and/or where she was heading or intending to go?

Prayers for her and her family that she is soon found safe.

Hi SmoothOperator, That is all the info that has been released so far. I'll post more as it is released. I don't know if she drives, the keys may be to her residence. As far as I know, some media has been contacted, but they are slow to pick it up with only one paper having an article so far. I don't know what the weather is like in that area, I hope she is somewhere safe.

Last edited by Hamsterdance; 03-29-2012 at 09:50 AM.

For those of you who are not local: The weather is not very nice right now, raining and in the forties. Spring in the PNW is a difficult time to be outdoors, but there are many places where someone could seek shelter. There is a largeish homeless population who live in encampments under bridges and the ubiquitous blue tarps, as well as "tent cities."

It is also quite possible (and common) for people to live without cars in the more densely populated areas of Seattle. Bike and bus are feasible options.

Ballard is bordered to the South by the Ship Canal, on the other by Puget Sound, and by the denser Fremont neighborhood to the East, which has the famous Aurora Bridge, site of many suicide leaps - but with a new safety fence which was recently completed, I believe. Ballard has some trendy more developed parts, but largely it is small houses on a grid plan with street parking, with similar neighborhoods to the North.

There are plenty of places to disappear in Seattle. My heart hurts for her friends and family. My head hopes for the best for her.

Thank-you for the info, elephantchild!

According to her profile on this link she is married. I see no mention of her husband yet and it says her mother reported her missing.

http://fireflyastoria.tumblr.com/pos...eather-braaten

Quote Originally Posted by Hamsterdance View Post
    I noticed that the poster states, "Heather may appear disoriented."

Speculation: Could this be caused by a medication (or withdrawal from a medication) used to treat depression? (I know that becoming disoriented is a possible side effect and withdrawal symptom for various substances; the speculation is that it might be related to this note on the poster.)

Quote Originally Posted by PlainJaneDoe View Post
    I noticed that the poster states, "Heather may appear disoriented."

Speculation: Could this be caused by a medication (or withdrawal from a medication) used to treat depression? (I know that becoming disoriented is a possible side effect and withdrawal symptom for various substances; the speculation is that it might be related to this note on the poster.)
    Hi PlainJaneDoe- That's what I was thinking as well.

I found a link with more info:

"A local family is asking for your help. Magnolia Voice spoke to Leo Schmitz who said his daughter Heather, a married mother of two children, disappeared on March 20th, around 3pm."

http://www.magnoliavoice.com/

So sad I hope she turns up soon.

Thanks, Hamsterdance. I hope we get more info soon.

One of the articles had a comment along the lines of "does she want to be found?" which is why in my first post I said I wanted heather and her searchers to have peace. Often people who intend to commit suicide, or maybe even just walk away from their lives, make arrangements for their loved ones or responsibilities. I wonder if she did anything like this at work or home (actually I don't recall reading anything about a job) or in clubs she was involved in. I just thought of this when I read she had children.

All I know is that she had been very popular in the Lego community, and went by the name HeatherLEGOgirl. She had online accounts dedicated to showing off her creations and communicating with other like-minded AFOL's (Adult Fans of Lego). As recently as the beginning of March, she made a purchase and left feedback for another. Her mother was the first to put out an appeal by contacting a member from Flickr. I've also read appeals from otehr online friends, her brother, father, and a cousin. I don't know anything about her family or how old her children are. I imagine her husband is busy taking care of them now. I haven't read yet if she had a job, but she certainly used to be busy with her hobby (and very good at it too). I've seen alot of images of her, and in every one she appears very happy. Now that I know she went missing during the day, and has children- I'm more worried than ever.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast