Starbucks: One strawberry Frappucchino..hold the bugs

I'd prefer that to synthetic, chemical concoctions, to be honest.

Still, if they aren't putting fresh strawberries in to the smoothie, what do you think is going into it? Guaranteed it's something gross. Unless you see the whole, fresh ingredients go into a dish, assume the worst.

Bugs. Well, as long as they're not alive or anything.

Ewww. I don't do strawberry fraps anyway. This is another reason to not do them. LOL.

I am sure I'm eating lots of things I don't really want to know about, though, in lots of things. I don't want to know, either. LOL.

Best-
Herding Cats

I'd prefer that to synthetic, chemical concoctions, to be honest.

Still, if they aren't putting fresh strawberries in to the smoothie, what do you think is going into it? Guaranteed it's something gross. Unless you see the whole, fresh ingredients go into a dish, assume the worst.

Although I don't want synthetic concoctions either...Um, no to the bugs. What about real strawberries? Or is this part of the "Tweaking tastes and creating cravings" movement 60 minutes recently showcased?

Although I don't want synthetic concoctions either...Um, no to the bugs. What about real strawberries? Or is this part of the "Tweaking tastes and creating cravings" movement 60 minutes recently showcased?

I think it's because fresh strawberries aren't cost effective and would oxidize, to be honest. So they use some freeze dried or other strawberry product, but use the coloring from the bugs to give it the color that the customers expect. It's nothing new - a lot of products are given color boosts because people think the food looks better that way. It's why pickles on the shelf, unless actually fermented the old fashioned way, have to be dyed green.

For the most part, anything in a package is suspect and has been for some time.

Starbucks to phase out bug extract as food dye.

"Starbucks (SBUX, Fortune 500) President Cliff Burrows wrote, in a Thursday blog, that Starbucks is "transitioning" away from the use of an insect called the cochineal.
Burrows blogged that Starbucks "fell short of your expectations by using natural cochineal extract as a colorant in four food and two beverage offerings in the United States."

http://money.cnn.com/2012/04/19/news/companies/starbucks-bugs/

Now they're probably going to replace it was Red Dye #4. Think I'd rather have the bugs.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/13/opinion/13levy.html

An article dated from 2009 but gives an idea of what is allowed to be in our foods and still have the food deemed safe.

Any prepackaged or processed foods IMHO contain contaminations. I still buy both though for the convenience. It's hard to make every single item that my family consumes from scratch.

I thought a lot of makeup items also contain carmine?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back