FL 17 yo Trayvon Martin Shot to Death by Neighborhood Watch Captain #11

Status
Not open for further replies.

beach

Verified Expert
Reaction score
Please continue here.

Remember the rules: [ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=159"]The Rules - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community[/ame]

Remember the "ignore" feature on your profile page.

Please stick with the facts as reported by LE or MSM, and link them. Link them often if necessary.

Please clearly state when it is your opinion. If you are making an inference please clearly outline and link the facts and evidence that have led you to form that inference. Wild speculation about any case player has no place here.

Please PM a mod with any questions or concerns and alert any TOS violations or offensive posts.

And finally, PLEASE address one another respectfully. Last reminder.

Thread #1
Thread #2
Thread #3
Thread #4
Thread #5
Thread #6
Thread #7
Thread #8
[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=167219"]Thread #9[/ame]

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=167312"]Thread #10[/ame]

Clarification of WS stance regarding the "victim friendly" issue.

I had a discussion with the owners about how we were to deal with this. This is what I was advised:

At this point in the investigation we don't KNOW exactly who ALL the victims are now. We KNOW that Trayvon is a victim, because he is dead. :( However, news breaks and new leaks come forth everyday and it is still unclear whether Zimmerman was a victim of any violence. Until more verifiable FACTS are available, WS has chosen to err on the side of treating both the confirmed (Trayvon) AND potential (Zimmerman), both as victims.

Like I said, that may change after we have more verifiable information

Hope that helps clear this up.

Please bump as needed.

Just a reminder:

WS does not permit links that request or suggest sending donations without the clear permission of the owners . This is to protect our members and for no other reason.

Thank you for determining at the this time all should be considered victims.
And I want to remind everyone looking a past photos doesn't shed light on anything.
Ted Bundy fooled many with his good looks and charm.

m00c0w -

I re-read what your post was and maybe this is what you meant.

No, at the point in the example - dude breaking into neighbor's window - me with gun (let's say in my driveway) and I yell "STOP - I HAVE A GUN" - no, I'm really not in fear of my life - not at that point. Why would I be - I have a gun and its trained right at the subject of that "deadly force".

Now, if example 2 and that person pulls his own gun - Imma duckin' - but I'm not going to return fire until he fires first and yes, I could very easliy end up dead - that happens everyday - I don't move quick enough and the dude gets off a lucky shot.

So, I guess my answer to your post was yes, you're right. I'm not in deadly fear of my life at that moment - which is also why I'm not pulling that trigger. Why would I be? Dude is across the street - trying to climb in through a window.

Is that what you were getting at?

JMHO

Here is the bio for the attorney that was contacted 2 days after he shooting....

http://parkscrump.com/attorneys/benjamin-crump/

And if you read his bio, I think it's safe to say, if this case wasn't about race to begin with, it sure was on day 2 when this man was contacted.

Snipped:

Mr. Crump is a frequent author and speaker. He has recently published an article entitled “The Police don’t shoot White Men in the Back, Representing Minority Victims in Police Brutality Cases."

IMO this is where the White vs. Black stuff started. Not that inaudible word GZ may or may not have said.

Everybody wants to call GZ a racist because of a word that we can't even hear clearly.

From that article, linked in the previous thread (I'll find it if y'all want a link) this attorney has been a big part of calling for rallies and protests.

Take this attorney, JJ, AS, and he Black Panthers, how is it not RACIAL???

JMO

MIAMI (AP) -- The funeral director who oversaw slain Florida teenager Trayvon Martin's burial says the body bore no signs of a fight.

Richard Kurtz says there were no notable marks on Martin's hands, face or body other than the gunshot wound that killed him. Kurtz says he expected to see some marks if Martin had been in a fight.

Read more: http://www.wsvn.com/news/articles/local/21007081955719/#ixzz1qcO83u7F

I am not sure I understand how you can characterize TM as a "nice kid" because he looks sweet in the horseback riding photo or the one with the girl in the last thread, but on the flip side, you can be enraged at GZ for thinking the worst about seeing a strange boy walking around his neighborhood.

You are summing up based on the way someone looks just like GZ did, but this does not mean ANYTHING about character. Have you read TM's twitter accounts? He was not a nice kid imo.

Wise Old Owl said:
huh? I don't get what you're saying. First, in this example the dude was in the process of committing a crime and depending on which example he chose to take would depend on if I ever pulled the trigger.

If he had a gun and pulled and fired - welp, he's in even bigger deeper doo-doo (down here in Florida - the gun changes everything and escalates charges).

Catching a criminal in the process of commiting a crime and holding that guy at gunpoint until cops get there is not assault with a dealy weapon. Now, if it turns out I didn't have a CWP or the gun was legitimately registered to me - there could be poitential for minor charges. Even without the CWP if I was at my house and the robber was going into the house across the sctreet - as long as I stayed on my property - then no need for a CWP.

No way would the person holding that robber at gunpoint until cops arrive be charged with assault. No way. Not here in Florida.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you're saying.

JMHO
Those would be very hairy circumstances that most people familiar with gun laws would tell you to stay away from.

784.021 Aggravated assault.—
(1) An “aggravated assault” is an assault:
(a) With a deadly weapon without intent to kill; or
(b) With an intent to commit a felony.
(2) Whoever commits an aggravated assault shall be guilty of a felony of the third degree,
http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes...ng=&URL=0700-0799/0784/Sections/0784.021.html

790.053 Open carrying of weapons.—
(1) Except as otherwise provided by law and in subsection (2), it is unlawful for any person to openly carry on or about his or her person any firearm or electric weapon or device. It is not a violation of this section for a person licensed to carry a concealed firearm as provided in s. 790.06(1), and who is lawfully carrying a firearm in a concealed manner, to briefly and openly display the firearm to the ordinary sight of another person, unless the firearm is intentionally displayed in an angry or threatening manner, not in necessary self-defense.
(2) A person may openly carry, for purposes of lawful self-defense:
(a) A self-defense chemical spray.
(b) A nonlethal stun gun or dart-firing stun gun or other nonlethal electric weapon or device that is designed solely for defensive purposes.
(3) Any person violating this section commits a misdemeanor of the second degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083.
http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes...ng=&URL=0700-0799/0790/Sections/0790.053.html

You are only justified to use deadly force in self defense (reasonable fear of death or great bodily harm) or to prevent a forcible felony. Burglary, by itself, is not a forcible felony. You could very well go to jail and never be allowed to carry a weapon again.

Thank you for determining at the this time all should be considered victims.
And I want to remind everyone looking a past photos doesn't shed light on anything.
Ted Bundy fooled many with his good looks and charm.

That would be true of everyone. Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, as a former co-worker had provided this description of GZ. You just never know. jmo

Speaking of suspensions...and what kids get them...

My entire Senior class was suspends for 3 days because of a prank against the rival football team that no one would own up to. Just because a suspension happens it's not always for something "bad"

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk

m00c0w -

No, at the point in the example - dude breaking into neighbor's window - me with gun (let's say in my driveway) and I yell "STOP - I HAVE A GUN" - no, I'm really not in fear of my life - not at that point. Why would I be - I have a gun and its trained right at the subject of that "deadly force".

Now, if example 2 and that person pulls his own gun - Imma duckin' - but I'm not going to return fire until he fires first and yes, I could very easliy end up dead - that happens everyday - I don't move quick enough and the dude gets off a lucky shot.

So, I guess my answer to your post was yes, you're right. I'm not in deadly fear of my life at that moment - which is also why I'm not pulling that trigger. Why would I be? Dude is across the street - trying to climb in through a window.

JMHO

Check this statue WOO.

790.10 Improper exhibition of dangerous weapons or firearms.

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes...ing=&URL=0700-0799/0790/Sections/0790.10.html

Speaking of suspensions...and what kids get them...

My entire Senior class was suspends for 3 days because of a prank against the rival football team that no one would own up to. Just because a suspension happens it's not always for something "bad"

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk
Except we know why Trayvon was suspended.

I am sorry, I am new to this case. Was there an autopsy?

I am not sure I understand how you can characterize TM as a "nice kid" because he looks sweet in the horseback riding photo or the one with the girl in the last thread, but on the flip side, you can be enraged at GZ for thinking the worst about seeing a strange boy walking around his neighborhood.

You are summing up based on the way someone looks just like GZ did, but this does not mean ANYTHING about character. Have you read TM's twitter accounts? He was not a nice kid imo.

Everyone is certainly entitled to their own opinion. I could care less what was on Trayvon's twitter account just as I could care less what was on Zimmerman's if he had one. That's completely irrelevant to the facts that took place on the evening of 02/26/2012. I can't speak for anyone else but when I see pictures of Trayvon, I see a whole future full of promise gone down the drain because of the actions of one man who decided it was okay to play God.

~jmo~

I'm going to say it: this case will end up exactly where the duke lacrosse case did.

m00c0w -

JMHO
Merely pointing your weapon at someone is considered a deadly use of force. You've introduced an instrument considered a deadly weapon into your usage of force. Whether it's used or not is entirely irrelevant.

ETA: After looking at the Florida justifiable use of force law some more, I see two things going on. First, you have to have the person committing a forcible felony to use deadly force. Apparently, burglary is considered a forcible felony in Florida (crimes against property are not in Georgia). However, deadly use of force is defined as actually firing the weapon at or around the person, not displaying the weapon menacingly. I'm not entirely sure you would actually be covered under that statute given those definitions.

One thing you hear over and over and over again is that you only draw your weapon when you intend to shoot. No other time. To draw your weapon and not shoot indicates that you had no reasonable fear of your life, and that you were not sure a forcible felony that required a deadly use of force was taking place. It casts the perception that you doubted your own actions, and that you weren't confident in using deadly force enough. So why draw the weapon in the first place? You may not get arrested for it; it is at the discretion of the officer in most cases. However, you may find yourself answering some tough questions. I'd just leave the gun out of it until absolutely necessary, to be honest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni