GUILTY CA - Kendrec McDade, 19, shot dead by LE after false report, Pasadena, 24 March 2012

JBean

Retired WS Administrator
Reaction score
This is a very interesting case here and I am not sure if anyone is following. Man calls 911 and tells them that there are 2 armed men trying to break in. He tells them that they are armed to get them to respond more quickly. Police arrive and when one of the suspects makes a move- cops assume it is for a gun based on the 911 call-they shoot and kill him.
The 911 caller is now under arrest and may be charged with for involuntary manslaughter.The officers are beign considered additional vitims in this. very controversial on many levels.
http://www.opposingviews.com/i/society/crime/oscar-carillos-fake-911-call-causes-fatal-shooting
Pasadena, California, police officers arrested a man who made a fake 911 call that police say caused officers to fatally shoot a 19-year-old college student that they believed to be an armed robbery suspect.
The phony call set in motion a deadly chain of events, according to Pasadena Police Chief Philip Sanchez. Officers responded to Carillo's 911 call claiming that two armed men stole his laptop and escaped onto Orange Grove Boulevard.
Caller Carillo told 911 operators explicitly that the robbers were wielding hand guns

This case is unfamiliar to me but I have noticed over the last six months or so, that police officers in California are now shooting to kill, and asking questions later. To me, it is a disturbing trend.
I will have to read more on this specific case before I have any opinion, IF I have an opinion.

This case is unfamiliar to me but I have noticed over the last six months or so, that police officers in California are now shooting to kill, and asking questions later. To me, it is a disturbing trend.
Nothing new there....LAPD has a long time reputation for stuff like this.

In one of the San Gabriel Valley Tribune articles, there is an article about the officers who did the shooting having been declared victims so that they cannot be sued. I was always under the impression that our police forces worked for us, not against us. I believe now that I was being very naive.

Also, late last night, on CNN I saw a brief segment about this case, and it talked about how usually the police cars when their sirens go on and in certain instances, their dashcams AUTOMATICALLY go on but that during this entire shooting, there was no video coverage AT ALL!!

Something smells reallly really bad about this whole thing to me. I don't know that my psyche can handle any more of this bad bad behavior by our civil servants and those who cover for them. How have we allowed things to get so totally out of whack? Its just too depressing.

Shoot to Kill! Ask questions later.

>>
As the nation focuses on the fatal shooting of Florida teen Trayvon Martin by a neighborhood watchman, the police shooting in Pasadena raises more questions about the role and responsibility of those who report or witness crimes.
While experts say it's not uncommon for people to exaggerate the circumstances of a crime – especially if they are the victim – most are unaware about the importance of their role in an emergency response and the potential consequences.
"Lots of people's lives are in jeopardy," said Joseph Pollini, a professor at John Jay College of Criminal Justice in New York. "If you make a bogus call, you may be taking away from something where someone else's life is in danger."
One state lawmaker compared McDade's shooting to that of Martin's. .<<
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/03/30/kendrec-mcdade-shooting-m_n_1391334.html

I think one of the major questions is regarding when LE decides to use deadly force or not. They are painting a picture that this decision was made primarily on the 911 call. Reports say if the 911 caller states there is a weapon they enter with a different mindset.

We had a case not too long ago where a man was sitting in an enclosed area on a front porch waiting for a ride because he was too drunk to drive. the man thought he was alone and was just pretending to shoot with a hose nozzle. He never had any odea he was being watched by a neighbor who then reported a man with a gun.
Cops shot him on the spot without so much as a warning to drop his "weapon".
Case of Douglas Zerby

I think one of the major questions is regarding when LE decides to use deadly force or not. They are painting a picture that this decision was made primarily on the 911 call. Reports say if the 911 caller states there is a weapon they enter with a different mindset.

We had a case not too long ago where a man was sitting in an enclosed area on a front porch waiting for a ride because he was too drunk to drive. the man thought he was alone and was just pretending to shoot with a hose nozzle. He never had any odea he was being watched by a neighbor who then reported a man with a gun.
Cops shot him on the spot without so much as a warning to drop his "weapon".
Case of Douglas Zerby
I actually remember that incident and it was one of the ones I was thinking about when I mentioned my concern about what seems to be a recent spate of police officers shooting to kill. I also agree that this Pasadena case is very much like the Trayvon case. The implications and ramifications of all of these types of cases is very very concerning to me.

Oscar Carrillo Manslaughter Charges Won't Stick In Kendrec McDade Shooting

LOS ANGELES -- Prosecutors tentatively rejected a request by Pasadena police Monday to file an involuntary manslaughter charge against a man who made a false report of being robbed by armed men.
The volatile case has been compared to the fatal shooting of Florida teen Trayvon Martin by a neighborhood watchman. Both cases involved shootings of unarmed black teenagers by those who said they believed they had guns.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/04/03/oscar-carrillo-manslaught_n_1399623.html

From June 2013:

http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2013...lse-report-that-led-to-teens-death-by-police/

Oscar Carrillo pleaded guilty to two misdemeanor false reporting charges Monday. He will serve 90 days in jail, perform 90 days of community service and pay $3,000 to the Pasadena Police Department.

On March 24, 2012, Carrillo told an emergency dispatcher he was being robbed by two armed men outside his taco truck. In the call, he mentioned a gun eight times.

From June 2014:

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-pasadena-police-victim-parents-20140616-story.html

The city of Pasadena paid more than $1 million to the parents of Kendrec McDade, an unarmed 19-year-old fatally shot by two police officers, to settle a wrongful death and civil rights lawsuit...

"He left the sidewalk and he's running at me," Griffin told investigators. "This &#8212; this scares the crap out of me. I don't know why he is running at me. He's still clutching his waistband. I think he's got a gun. I'm stuck in the car. I got nowhere to go."

Fearing for his life, Griffin said he fired four times through the open driver's side window. McDade was two or three feet away. Griffin said he then ducked down to his right to avoid being hit by shots he expected from McDade...

McDade was later found to be unarmed. He was carrying a cell phone in his pocket.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back