AK - Samantha Koenig, 18, Anchorage, 01 Feb 2012 - #7

Status
Not open for further replies.

bessie

Verified Insider
Reaction score
Police seeking information about missing barista
Anchorage police are looking for a missing 18-year-old woman last seen at the Midtown coffee stand where she worked, police say.
Police believe Samantha Koenig locked up Common Grounds Espresso, outside the Midtown Alaska Club at 630 E. Tudor Road, about 8 p.m. Wednesday at the end of her shift. Koenig's family, her boyfriend and her employer have not heard from her since, said police spokesman Lt. Dave Parker.
Court records show Koenig filed for a protective order against a man in November but failed to show up at court. The order was not issued.
http://www.thenewstribune.com/2012/02/02/2010129/police-seeking-information-about.html

Help Find Samantha Koenig

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=161720"]Thread #1[/ame]

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=163405"]Thread #2[/ame]

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=164864"]Thread #3[/ame]

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=165818"]Thread #4[/ame]

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=166213"]Thread #5[/ame]

Thread #6

419628_337901269587868_328733013838027_1061956_217147456_n1-270x300.jpg

http://helpfindsamanthakoenig.com/

Please Continue Here...

Carrying over from the last thread...I know it is a RUMOR at this point, but if it is true that Samantha was combing hair, etc...before leaving with the abductor...first, that could be why LE was reluctant to show it, as clearly that would affect a jury, and also might explain why her father is so determined to say that she did not know IR in any way....which of course, we know he has no way of knowing who his daughter knows, or comes into contact with, at least not everyone. JMO

From the previous thread:

Hello everyone. I live in Anchorage and I have been obsessed with this case. I have daughter's myself and have been reading everything from day one and talking to everyone who is also following it locally. I don't know Samantha or her family but I'm extremely intrigued by this case.

I've tried to read through everything on the case here over the past few weeks and man there is a ton of info. I did read a lot of speculation about being able to throw a body into the Turnagain arm with the bore tide that night and I can tell you as a local that is much more difficult than it sounds. There are hardly any locations where it is straight down to deep water. In fact none that I can think of and I'm all over that area regularly. There are bike trails as well as railroad tracks that run pretty much the full length of the arm. Someone would have to park somewhere, which is VERY difficult other than in pull outs because the road is extremely narrow, and then climb over the guard rails then most likely across railroad tracks and/or paved bike path to get to the water. Even then there are only a handful of spots you could do that and drop something into deep water. There are mud flats that surround most of the inlet. Anyway...just another local's opinion on that tiny element. As others have mentioned it was also a huge snow storm that night so roads were terrible and visibility was terrible. It was full on heavy snowfall most of the night, I think we got like over a foot of snow that night. We have also had record cold temps in December, January and February so things like lakes etc. are frozen solid solid.

Has anyone heard, or discussed and I missed it, anything about people saying her behavior is odd on the video. I know it hasn't been released to the public but like I said this is a small community and I've heard local rumors that she changed her sweatshirt and brushed her hair before leaving with him. I've heard she is seen brushing her hair from a few different people so I'm wondering if that is indeed something based in truth. If that is so she would either be stalling, which I would guess you would be able to tell by shaking scared hands, etc. or something is really up here.

I pray she is found safe and that this was as it seems because man this town will NOT be pretty if it turns out this was all put on by her dad or somethings weird. It will also be terrible if she is found dead although sadly that would be my guess at this point. :(

Anyway wondering if the video showing her changing and brushing hair etc. has been discussed. I know the owners viewed the video before turning it over to police and someone said that's who shared that info. ??? Its seems like another really weird piece of info in this really weird case.

Welcome to the forum 503mpco! It's always nice to have a local chime in.

Good info on the tidal bore. Your description is great. As to the storm, do you know if the airport was open the next morning? It's been reported Keyes left on vacation that morning and we've been wondering where he might have gone.

Interesting info about Sam and the video. Any other little tidbits you might have heard are welcome, just make sure to mention it's town gossip. If this rumor is true at all, it would seem she knew the guy to be changing shirts with him there. Curious. And brushing her hair too. If the guy was armed as has been reported, she was sure confident. I wonder if that's why they don't want the tape out.

As you say, it might have been a stall tactic hoping her boyfriend would show up.

Welcome again, nice to have you here.

Thanks gliving. I know I'm late to the party so I'm sure there are things already discussed that I've missed but I appreciate all of the info etc. It is most certainly just a rumor! It has been said you can see her changing her sweatshirt so I don't think like going down to her under garments but changing a sweatshirt over her regular shirt. The whole thing is so so sad I keep looking all over the web for some kind of explanation. I don't personally think she is around here and unharmed because her photo is everywhere and I mean everywhere. I stopped at a gas station in a tiny little town on the way to Denali and her flyer was taped inside the bathroom stall. I think just about everyone local knows about her and many people have fliers in their car windows etc. Even some of the malls and bigger stores that have electronic signs have changed their signs to have her info on them. So you'd be hard pressed to hide her here I think.

I do indeed think the airport was open. We are a hearty town and typically big snow storms don't cause closures. There was school as normal, etc.

The whole thing from day one has seemed very odd. Again I know there are hundreds of posts here so all of this may have been covered but as a local a few things stand out to me are the little things that don't make sense. One of the biggest that I can't get out of my head and figure out what happened was the very first announcement of which direction they were headed in. The hut sits facing the entrance to a big fitness center and although the snow burms were/are huge preventing people from seeing the hut the hut itself has very distinguishable and clear surroundings. Why then did they say they headed off on foot in one direction only to change that like two days later and say they headed in the other direction?? The road is full of big businesses and landmarks etc. so there is absolutely NO way that someone watching that tape wouldn't have had a clear point of reference and a clear idea of which way they headed??? We are good friends with one of our police detectives and have met several others through him and they are not stupid guys. That little piece just seems so odd to me. Did they not want the public to really know because they were worried about evidence?? These are not vague surroundings so for them to completely mislead is odd to me. Maybe nothing but its one of those tiny pieces that makes me go "huh"?

The other little piece of info that bugs me, and again probably hashed a ton here, is why no one put this together until like noon the next day. Has anyone found out what the boyfriend did when he showed up and she wasn't there? Did he just go home and not call the dad or a friend or anything to see why she wasn't there? I realize the coffee shop was locked up so that didn't alarm but neither the dad or the boyfriend communicated with each other etc. Just as a mom tells me that maybe not coming home all night, or taking off without letting anyone know, was not behavior unexpected. Know what I mean? It seems that as it became 2am, 3am, and she wasn't home and wasn't with the boyfriend, etc. They did report that dad blew up her phone with calls all night but then why would the police get the first report from the coffee shop owners who thought something was off and watched the tape? Why wasn't dad on their front steps in the morning? NOT accusing anyone of anything or implying dad knew something or didn't etc. but again mother's instinct tells me that something is off there as well. KWIM? Like maybe she sometimes did just disappear and they assumed she'd be home later that day??

Then the whole armed man thing. At first he was "assumed to be armed because of her reaction". Then he was "an armed man" then he had a gun and then they backed off completely and started saying "possibly armed". So did they see something or not??

The very beginning stuff to me seems more "off" than the ongoing crazy crap. Of course as a community member I do hope this is not what it seems and that she did indeed somehow know him, etc. But then that will suck. There are a TON of rumors about the reward money and I personally didn't donate because it was so unclear what it was going to be used for etc. In my opinion rewards work right away. Two months later it looks like it is becoming a "support" fund and it is rumored that her dad is using it to pay his bills etc. since he can't work through all of this. Not necessarily a bad thing but that's the rumor and discussion on his facebook page by others. He has not said anything about using any of it but others have implied that he should be allowed to use it as he sees fit as a family support fund.

Yes indeed, 503mpco, I KWYM.

This whole business about not releasing the tape because it might taint the jury pool had me wondering if it was because of Sam's actions. My opinion only.

Sounds like you've had this on your mind and need to talk. Have at it! Webslueths welcomes all opinions and at this point I'm glad to have a new perspective to ponder.

hi 503! It's nice to have some new thoughts in here :loser: I am local some of the time but I've been gone since mid Feb. My friends and family up there tell me that IK is a big topic of discussion since his arrest but the only things they have heard are positive from people who have hired him and say he does a good job. Have you heard any local stories about him or his girlfriend or daughter?

If the hair brushing story is true, that is very suspicious. If I start going down rabbit holes thinking about the possibilities of SK and IK having some sort of relationship or him being obsessed with her or something, I remember that she had only worked there for three weeks which doesn't seem like enough time for that to develop.

Welcome, 503 mpco!

:welcome4:

If there's any truth to her being seen on the video changing her sweatshirt and brushing her hair then I can see why LE might feel that it might taint a jury. If LE showed a video like that one might get the impression that this whole thing was staged and they certainly won't get the support from the public to bring closure to this case. The people in Anchorage will pour their hearts out to you until you cross them. Haven't heard anything more about SK's grand parents going on vacation to the lower 48.

Hmmm, a patient abductor. How unusual. It almost gives me hope.

MOO

Here is a timeline of IK up until his arrest, from info I've gathered.

1/7/78 IK was born. Place of birth unknown.
According to this article he grew up Mormon in Utah and was home schooled: http://www.ktva.com/news/samantha-koenig-abduction/Who-is-Israel-Keyes-143417766.html

1994 approx. He built a cabin in Colville, WA when he was 16. Some time after that he helps build a cabin designed by his sisters in Houlton, ME. Info gathered from this photo in a directory but not published on his website: http://keyesconstruction.net/yahoo_site_admin/assets/images/web_pics.15215524

1995-1997 according to his website: Worked for a General Contractor by the name of Kelly Harris in Colville, WA. on a seven man crew. Building approximatly 6 duplex/spec. Stick frame and log homes a year. http://keyesconstruction.net/work_history

Oct 1997 he buys 10 acres of land in Constable, NY for $15,000 which he still owns. http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/511-Poplar-St-Constable-NY-12926/30442741_zpid/
http://franklincony.org/content/Dep...ld=documents;/content/Documents/File/2138.pdf

1998-2000 His SS on public court documents starts with 127-86-*advertiser censored*. If the SS# info is correct, he got his SS# in NY around 1998. According to his website: Served three years in the Army Infantry and was stationed in Ft. Lewis, Ft Hood, and Sianai, Egypt. Honorable discharge in June 2000.

2/7/01 gets a DUI on Ft. Lewis, plea agreement signed June 4, 2001.

2002 according to statements made at his arraignment, IK has a ten year old daughter who would have been born around 2002.

2001-2007 according to his website, IK works for the Makah Tribe in Neah Bay, WA.

2006 runs a marathon in Olympia, WA.

2007 IK moves to Alaska.

2009 IKs girlfriend KA buys house on Spurr Lane where they live together. He remodels extensively according to neighbors.

If there's any truth to her being seen on the video changing her sweatshirt and brushing her hair then I can see why LE might feel that it might taint a jury. If LE showed a video like that one might get the impression that this whole thing was staged and they certainly won't get the support from the public to bring closure to this case. The people in Anchorage will pour their hearts out to you until you cross them. Haven't heard anything more about SK's grand parents going on vacation to the lower 48.

Hi Snowbunny
I didn't hear anything about grandparents GOING to the lower 48 for vacation...instead, I thought I read some chat about how strange it was that they hadn't COME UP TO ALASKA during this whole ordeal...though perhaps you are referring to the other set of GPs? :)

I suppose he could have told her to comb her hair and change her shirt...who knows...

What grandparents? I've seen nil even pointing toward there actually being any grandparents from either side of the family.. in fact the only thing about a grandparent period that was mentioned(that I've personally seen/read) was one comment made underneath a news article.. that's it..

Thanks for the welcome! I am indeed excited to at least hash it out. Haha. My husband is sick of hearing me talk about it. I don't know why it interests me so. I think its because we don't really get things like this up here. Ive lived her 20 years and there have been very very few crimes like this. I also have all daughters, including teenagers, so it hits home. KWIM? I'm secretly hoping that it is something totally bizarre drug related or something OTHER than a random terrible crime.

But really I've got nothing. :) You guys know everything I know and then some aside from adding some local knowledge.

The area his house is in it is not unusual to be extensively remodeled because that area is one of the older neighborhoods. I'd say most houses in that area have been extensively remodeled or need to be. :) That in itself is not odd. I haven't heard anything about him. I have some friends who live in his area who knew nothing of him. That seems to be the trend. Sorry, no help there. Edited to add that it is an older neighborhood as far as houses but considered a nice family oriented neighborhood. Its actually a very desirable part of town and is mostly families with younger kids.

Does anyone know if his girlfriend and daughter (his/hers/theirs) has been questioned? I'm surprised they are still here. Being fairly new to the area relatively speaking if I were them I'd have taken an extended vacation out of town. I'm sure people around them are just on egg shells. Is it possible she has been told to stay put?

I do agree 100% that the people of Alaska have your back big time and are a very very close knit group when stuff hits the fan. When people come visit me up here they call it leave it to beaver land. We have block parties with our neighbors, we know all of our neighbors at least casually, people are VERY openly friendly overall. There is a Foxworthy joke that you know you're in Alaska if you are in home depot and someone asks if you need help and they don't work there. :)

So the other thing that has bugged me that I haven't seen addressed here locally is why there wasn't some kind of search party?? If they left on foot why wouldn't they canvas the areas around there. I don't know that they didn't but they said nothing about it if they did. There are some construction areas around there, some big public parks, TONS of bike trails that lead all over the city, etc. Seems like there would have been more extensive ground searches if they didn't know he had a car, etc. ?? KWIM? And then learning a few days later "oh no, we are sorry, they went south not north" was SO odd.

And one last thing and then I'll stop obsessing......or at least stop bugging you guys with my obsessing hahaha...have they said anything anywhere about having seen them on other business's survilance? There are many many businesses that surround those areas that would have video as well. There is a huge car dealership directly next door, the fitness club, there is a huge home depot and a Lowes and then down from that several popular restaurants like TGI Fridays and Applebees etc. Even the side streets around there are full of businesses you would think would have video. Behind the fitness club is a granite place with a storage yard full of granite and tiles, etc. I would imagine they have some kind of video on their yard/lot? There is also a muni building back there which I have seen cameras on the outside. Across the street from the hut is our TV news station with their huge antennas right out front on the edge of the road. Surly they have cameras?? There are also a few bars and if they went a few blocks in one direction its like car dealership row. Because we have had record snow falls cutting across areas would be very difficult. It is SO deep there is just no way they were "off roading" so to speak on foot. We are talking a LOT of snow!! I tried to cut across a little median part in a parking lot last week and fell in up to my waist in snow. So I'd be hard pressed to believe they didn't use paths, sidewalks or cut through parking lots. But nothing about any other video???

Here is a timeline of IK up until his arrest, from info I've gathered.

1/7/78 IK was born. Place of birth unknown.
According to this article he grew up Mormon in Utah and was home schooled: http://www.ktva.com/news/samantha-koenig-abduction/Who-is-Israel-Keyes-143417766.html

1994 approx. He built a cabin in Colville, WA when he was 16. Some time after that he helps build a cabin designed by his sisters in Houlton, ME. Info gathered from this photo in a directory but not published on his website: http://keyesconstruction.net/yahoo_site_admin/assets/images/web_pics.15215524

1995-1997 according to his website: Worked for a General Contractor by the name of Kelly Harris in Colville, WA. on a seven man crew. Building approximatly 6 duplex/spec. Stick frame and log homes a year. http://keyesconstruction.net/work_history

Oct 1997 he buys 10 acres of land in Constable, NY for $15,000 which he still owns. http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/511-Poplar-St-Constable-NY-12926/30442741_zpid/
http://franklincony.org/content/Dep...ld=documents;/content/Documents/File/2138.pdf

1998-2000 His SS on public court documents starts with 127-86-*advertiser censored*. If the SS# info is correct, he got his SS# in NY around 1998. According to his website: Served three years in the Army Infantry and was stationed in Ft. Lewis, Ft Hood, and Sianai, Egypt. Honorable discharge in June 2000.

2/7/01 gets a DUI on Ft. Lewis, plea agreement signed June 4, 2001.

2002 according to statements made at his arraignment, IK has a ten year old daughter who would have been born around 2002.

2001-2007 according to his website, IK works for the Makah Tribe in Neah Bay, WA.

2006 runs a marathon in Olympia, WA.

2007 IK moves to Alaska.

2009 IKs girlfriend KA buys house on Spurr Lane where they live together. He remodels extensively according to neighbors.

Thanks, ConnectedSuitor!
This is great!

Before the thread rolls any further, let's get this out of the way...
(bessie running off to get the rule book>>>>>
)

:tos:

• WS is a victim friendly forum. Bashing the victim or the victim's family members is not allowed
  • Rumors are strongly discouraged, especially those which cast the victim in a bad light. In a high profile case, rumors are inevitable. We can't eradicate them, but we can do our part to slow them down by refusing to feed them.
  • On WS, nothing is considered to be factual information unless it is supported by a verifiable source such as mainstream news media (MSM), LE statements, court transcripts, etc.
  • Social networking sites do not qualify as reliable sources of truth. FB posts, tweets, and comments following news articles are considered rumor on WS. If you notice a post that is relevant and appears credible, it's usually all right to mention it in a post. Do Not Copy and Paste. Briefly explain why the comment is interesting and provide the date and time of the post so others can find it. Always include a link. Use common sense and under no circumstances carry inflammatory rumors and bickering to this board from another site.
  • MSM and LE FB pages are always permitted. Other than those, the only Facebook that can be referenced in this case, at this time, is the "official missing" FB page, and then only for information about the case. (see above) http://www.facebook.com/FindSamanthaKoenig

• Family members, friends and locals who are close to a case who would like to post firsthand information are asked to follow the verification process. Read more here: [ame="http://websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=106653"]Professional Posters & Verified Locals/Insiders - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community[/ame]
This is only a brief rundown of what's expected of us as members. If you haven't done so already, please visit these links and check out the stickies in this forum. ;)

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65798"]Rules Etiquette & Information - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community[/ame]

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97021"]Threadiquette- [/ame][ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97021"]Questions about rules welcome here - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community[/ame]

When in doubt, please pm any of the mods listed at the bottom of the main Missing Forum Discussion page before you post. :tyou:

Thanks for the welcome! I am indeed excited to at least hash it out. Haha. My husband is sick of hearing me talk about it. I don't know why it interests me so. I think its because we don't really get things like this up here. Ive lived her 20 years and there have been very very few crimes like this. I also have all daughters, including teenagers, so it hits home. KWIM? I'm secretly hoping that it is something totally bizarre drug related or something OTHER than a random terrible crime.

But really I've got nothing. :) You guys know everything I know and then some aside from adding some local knowledge.

The area his house is in it is not unusual to be extensively remodeled because that area is one of the older neighborhoods. I'd say most houses in that area have been extensively remodeled or need to be. :) That in itself is not odd. I haven't heard anything about him. I have some friends who live in his area who knew nothing of him. That seems to be the trend. Sorry, no help there. Edited to add that it is an older neighborhood as far as houses but considered a nice family oriented neighborhood. Its actually a very desirable part of town and is mostly families with younger kids.

Does anyone know if his girlfriend and daughter (his/hers/theirs) has been questioned? I'm surprised they are still here. Being fairly new to the area relatively speaking if I were them I'd have taken an extended vacation out of town. I'm sure people around them are just on egg shells. Is it possible she has been told to stay put?

I do agree 100% that the people of Alaska have your back big time and are a very very close knit group when stuff hits the fan. When people come visit me up here they call it leave it to beaver land. We have block parties with our neighbors, we know all of our neighbors at least casually, people are VERY openly friendly overall. There is a Foxworthy joke that you know you're in Alaska if you are in home depot and someone asks if you need help and they don't work there. :)

Welcome 503mpco!:welcome4::welcome4::welcome::welcome4::welcome4I

It is so good to have more local information from you!
I have wondered about the situation with the girlfriend, but have heard very little. MSM (main stream media) hasn't reported very much about her.
Your city sounds like a great place to live...where everyone is so friendly!

Snowbunny - Just to reply to a post of yours in the prior thread, I don't think it matters that KA owns the property. If IK was the only who had access to the shed there (it probably had a lock on it, right?) then she could not consent to its search.

Here's an analogy for you: say you have a son living in your home, but his room is "off limits" to everyone else and he even locks it when he leaves (unusual, I know). If the cops came and tried to search his room your consent might not be enough even though you own the home.

Sorry if this seems off-topic but it may be relevant. It could explain why the FBI waited until now to seize the shed--perhaps before they couldn't get into it and didn't have enough to get a separate warrant for it.

So the other thing that has bugged me that I haven't seen addressed here locally is why there wasn't some kind of search party??

Seems you missed this from your local news:

http://www.ktva.com/home/outbound-xml-feeds/Update-Koenig-Kidnapping--138827714.html
Feb 6, 2012 at 8:17 PM AKDT
Story Updated: Feb 9, 2012 at 10:29 AM AKDT

With a combination of foot searches, signs being posted and flyers being distributed, it’s truly a community-wide effort that has only one goal in mind: finding Samantha and bringing her home.

It’s a mission to find Samantha that Jeremy Canaday says he is more than willing to help out with.
On Monday night Jeremy was one of dozens putting up signs and walking on foot to find anything and anybody who might know what happened to her.

more on the link about knocking on doors, looking in the snow drifts, etc.

Thanks Ransom. My impression was that they had done kind of a neighborhood canvasing, knocking on doors, etc. not like a people walking through the snow filled field two feet apart from one another kind of search. Thanks for clarifying.

And sorry if I broke any rules and thus the need for the clarification. All I have is rumor and speculation so I'll just sit back and watch. :) If anyone needs specific local info on something I'll be your go to girl. Otherwise I'll just read. Certainly don't want to cause any problems!

Edited to add that yes indeed Alaska is a very welcoming friendly place to live. Granted you have to be able to deal with limited sunshine in the winter and long winters but that's my only single complaint. The community as a whole is amazing and it is a fantastic place to raise kids.

Thanks Ransom. My impression was that they had done kind of a neighborhood canvasing, knocking on doors, etc. not like a people walking through the snow filled field two feet apart from one another kind of search. Thanks for clarifying.

And sorry if I broke any rules and thus the need for the clarification. All I have is rumor and speculation so I'll just sit back and watch. :) If anyone needs specific local info on something I'll be your go to girl. Otherwise I'll just read. Certainly don't want to cause any problems!

Edited to add that yes indeed Alaska is a very welcoming friendly place to live. Granted you have to be able to deal with limited sunshine in the winter and long winters but that's my only single complaint. The community as a whole is amazing and it is a fantastic place to raise kids.
I'm sorry if you misunderstood, 503mpco. My post wasn't meant only for you. Ask these guys who've been around awhile. They'll tell you that reminders are posted at random throughout the threads, and most often in the beginning of a new one. So please don't be discouraged from posting. Speculation is fine. It's what we do here most of the time. We don't have all of the facts, obviously, or we wouldn't be here. So we attempt to put the pieces together to form a picture based on the facts we do have. Rumors, on the other hand, are like fuzz on a computer screen. They make it hard to see the image. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni