Page 3 of 71 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 53 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by akmom02 View Post
    My first post here, but I'm also a local and think I can give my opinion on the removal. I would think they moved the shed at night to minimize the gawking, press, impressionable little eyes of the neighborhood.
    Hi, akmom02. Welcome! I totally agree with you. I think the purpose of moving the shed in the first place was to have the time to analyze it without cameras and gawkers getting in the way. I can appreciate how the residents felt being disturbed at 11:00 at night. The disruption might've lasted for days, though, if LE had given the shed a thorough going over on site.

WEBSLEUTHS ON FACEBOOK

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to bessie For This Useful Post:

Thank you Bessie for the warm welcome. I have been reading a lot of the theories on this forum since I found it a couple of weeks ago. I'm so glad to have found others who are as perplexed as I have been since Samanthas disappearance by the twists and turns and people who have emerged from seemingly nowhere.

4. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to akmom02 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by bessie View Post
    Hi, akmom02. Welcome! I totally agree with you. I think the purpose of moving the shed in the first place was to have the time to analyze it without cameras and gawkers getting in the way. I can appreciate how the residents felt being disturbed at 11:00 at night. The disruption might've lasted for days, though, if LE had given the shed a thorough going over on site.

This caught my eye in a recent news story:

A man participating in the Friday night seizure at Spurr Lane, a dead-end street off of Clay Products Drive near West Northern Lights Boulevard, confirmed the dozen or so plainclothes men and women there were with the FBI. He declined to comment further, and the FBI personnel did not respond to questions.
    http://community.adn.com/adn/node/16...#storylink=cpy

Maybe some of the agents involved are undercover, or wish to keep a low profile at the very least. That might explain doing this operation under the cover of night.

6. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to z560 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by z560 View Post
    This caught my eye in a recent news story:

http://community.adn.com/adn/node/16...#storylink=cpy

Maybe some of the agents involved are undercover, or wish to keep a low profile at the very least. That might explain doing this operation under the cover of night.
    That's what I remembered reading, too. Don't want to mess up another undercover operation.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to LucyOso For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by 503mpco View Post
    Thanks Ransom. My impression was that they had done kind of a neighborhood canvasing, knocking on doors, etc. not like a people walking through the snow filled field two feet apart from one another kind of search. Thanks for clarifying.

That was my impression as well. The community did searches, but, it was not an organized search, like with blood hounds, graph charts, etc. And it took a while to get started.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to LucyOso For This Useful Post:

This is good, ConnectedSuitor. It's a protrait of a man who's spent a lifetime acquiring the knowledge and skills to survive apart from society. That's all we really know about him other than the fact that he was motivated by money.

I'm kind of stuck on the theory that he had a plan to take off for parts unknown, but needed to get his hands on some money first. I think the guy who praised his work is the one who said he talked about bringing his daughter to Alaska. So maybe there were custody issues and he was going to abduct the child, take her away to live in a hidden locale. That's not so farfetched. He'd need some cash to sustain them for awhile. Maybe part of the money would be paid to a community that would help him hide out. That theory works pretty well until you try to fit Sam into it. Unless, he wanted money so badly that he hired himself out as a paid ****. But by whom? And why?

Bessie, I have thought that the daughter angle as well. Wouldn't there be court cases in a civil repository in some state for custody issues?

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LucyOso For This Useful Post:

This is good, ConnectedSuitor. It's a protrait of a man who's spent a lifetime acquiring the knowledge and skills to survive apart from society. That's all we really know about him other than the fact that he was motivated by money.

I'm kind of stuck on the theory that he had a plan to take off for parts unknown, but needed to get his hands on some money first. I think the guy who praised his work is the one who said he talked about bringing his daughter to Alaska. So maybe there were custody issues and he was going to abduct the child, take her away to live in a hidden locale. That's not so farfetched. He'd need some cash to sustain them for awhile. Maybe part of the money would be paid to a community that would help him hide out. That theory works pretty well until you try to fit Sam into it. Unless, he wanted money so badly that he hired himself out as a paid ****. But by whom? And why?
    I don't know who here has followed the baby Lisa Irwin case, but for a while, a man named Jersey was suspected by some to have taken her. I thought he was guilty for a while, I thought maybe he was hired by his own drug dealer or something to take her for some kind of debt her parents owed him. He was known as the handyman in the neighborhood, to make money, of which he obviously did not have a lot.

Anyways, sorry, back to Sam, discussion of IK has got me thinking about Jersey. A lot of the same theories I had about him, I think fit here as well. They both seem like they have somewhat innocent backgrounds, though IK is more of a loner. I really think IK is a small fish in a way bigger pond, and somehow he ended up being the only person caught.

14. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to SUNchips For This Useful Post:

Sure, Lucy. The actual transcripts would be sealed, though.

WEBSLEUTHS ON FACEBOOK

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bessie For This Useful Post:

From my experience late evenings/late nights are common for removal of larger items. Protecting undercover cops is a good one except that most reporters that have done a cop beat for a while know them - the person in charge talking to the media will often explain they are undercover cops and ask to not get photos that can identify them. I have often sent photos to my department before going to print to ensure this doesn't happen. While the media wants to break a story we really don't want to screw up an investigation - that is a ticket to being cut off from future breaks.

As for a comment in an earlier thread (not sure who I didn't get in here yesterday just catching up) about whole items like sheds being taken - I have seen it a million times. Really it is no different to a computer, a couch, a car - except bigger. They are taken to a controlled area - no weather to contend with, they can walk away and come back later without having it watched 24/7 by a patrol officer- just locked in a shed. Initial searches are down at the place it originated for outdoor type evidence, once that is complete and they have reason to believe there is more to it - they take it.

Welcome to the new sleuthers!

Ohhh and one other thing - Sam's purse WAS on a poster but then it was claimed to have been found and not the purse she had. That could mean she had another purse and no one knows which one or a huge clue and they wanted it retracted, or it was found, provided clues so they just say it has been found to stop people looking.

The police have never said they have her phone - that is unusual. If they said they did have it then everyone would be happy and no traces could be made. If they admitted they didn't have it, meaning Sam or her abductor had it then there would be an outcry to trace it. (which they may have done and thus have said they beoieve she is alive.

Sam's dad said he called and called and called on the Thursday with no answer, those calls could be traced, so why havene't the police said that those calls were traced to the coffee shop or, if they had it to their office? We know they didn't have it because they didn't approach the coffee shop until the Friday and then looked over the security tape.
    Sam's father said it went straight to voicemail Thursday afternoon because the battery was dead. It was also go straight to voicemail when the phone is switched off, when the battery is removed as well as gone dead.

So what if the abductor had the phone, it rings consistently, he knows he can be traced so switches it off but keeps it.

This is where my ransom theory comes in. What if he kept the phone, contacted JK with it, demands money, turns the phone off after the call. JK may have told police but has said in earlier comments that he would NOT involve the police and hand over reward money. JK can get Sam's phone bill showing where the texts were made from (as can the police) - initially made in Anchorage to they believe she is there. Place funds in the account, with drawn by, we assume IK, which is enough to get him to lower 48 where he withdraws more, JK assumes still in anchorage until bill comes in and he sees Arizona, New Mexico and Texas. The phone could still be being used and switched off/ battery removed and until the bill comes in they have no idea where from but assume Anchorage.

I know this because I have done it many a time LOL (not with this case - personal/professional reasons)

Moo
    ^^^^ everything up there is Moo

I Still Call Australia Home

18. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to GutFeeling! For This Useful Post:

Ohhhh and taking them at night, around the 9pm 10 pm mark is excellent, news casts are over. Friday night are an extra bargain because no investigators have to answer the phone- it's the weekend, and while they are still working they can say it is a day off.

Tricky little blighters no? lol
    ^^^^ everything up there is Moo

I Still Call Australia Home

20. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to GutFeeling! For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Snowbunny View Post
    If there's any truth to her being seen on the video changing her sweatshirt and brushing her hair then I can see why LE might feel that it might taint a jury. If LE showed a video like that one might get the impression that this whole thing was staged and they certainly won't get the support from the public to bring closure to this case. The people in Anchorage will pour their hearts out to you until you cross them. Haven't heard anything more about SK's grand parents going on vacation to the lower 48.
    My only question is, if this video has yet to be released to the public, then how do locals know what is on it?

It's possible that some officer leaked that information to a friend or spouse, and if that's true, then he/she might find themselves without a job for blabbing details about an investigation that LE did not want to be made public right now.

22. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to TxLady2 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by TxLady2 View Post
    My only question is, if this video has yet to be released to the public, then how do locals know what is on it?

It's possible that some officer leaked that information to a friend or spouse, and if that's true, then he/she might find themselves without a job for blabbing details about an investigation that LE did not want to be made public right now.
    The owners of the coffee shop have also seen it and aren't bound by the same confidentiality. Although I'm sure they're trying.

24. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to sfbaynancydrew For This Useful Post:

Yes the coffee shop owners first watched the video. Initially after it first came out there was a tape there was a news story or a statement somewhere that said basically when the coffee shop was found to have not been closed properly (and $ missing - have they confirmed for certain the money was indeed taken?) the employee let the owner know which then led to the owner coming down to the shop and the tapes were watched. So presumably the one or two employees who were to start work that day could have watched it as well. When they watched it they had no idea what would be on it so they would have had no reason to treat it as evidence. KWIM? Many of the employees of these places are very young, like Sam, so I could see someone sharing/texting info about the tape before it was clear they need to not.

26. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to 503mpco For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by 503mpco View Post
    Yes the coffee shop owners first watched the video. Initially after it first came out there was a tape there was a news story or a statement somewhere that said basically when the coffee shop was found to have not been closed properly (and $ missing - have they confirmed for certain the money was indeed taken?) the employee let the owner know which then led to the owner coming down to the shop and the tapes were watched. So presumably the one or two employees who were to start work that day could have watched it as well. When they watched it they had no idea what would be on it so they would have had no reason to treat it as evidence. KWIM? Many of the employees of these places are very young, like Sam, so I could see someone sharing/texting info about the tape before it was clear they need to not.
    Along side this discussion, I can say that I have no clue, like everyone else what's on the tape. However, I heard a completely different local theory as to why they haven't shown the tape- supposedly also from a good source. Hearing this most recent information passed it reminded me that these cases get a lot of false rumors going really quickly. So don't put too much weight in those.

28. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to joslmaman For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by LucyOso View Post
    That's what I remembered reading, too. Don't want to mess up another undercover operation.
    or, they called people into work, at 10pm on friday to help out, and they wore their clothes they put on.
    Does a uniform add anything to the credibility?
    the FBi agents i have interacted with, always had on "plain clothes", and no uniform.
    Same for APD detectives.

30. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 907 For This Useful Post:

Page 3 of 71 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 53 ... LastLast