trial thread: 4/02/2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

nursebeeme

Reaction score
New thread for a new day. Please remember the rules

:tos:

When posting an opinion please remember to use IMO or JMO.

:moo:

the crown will present its case in chapters:

Chapter 1: The day of the kidnapping. The surveillance video showing Rafferty driving up the street outside Tori's school and McClintic walking Tori up the street. Witnesses from and around Oliver Stephens public school will talk about seeing Tori.
An identification officer will use photographs and maps to show the route from Woodstock to Guelph.
Tori's mother, Tara McDonald, will testify about the frantic hours the family spent looking for Tori.

Chapter 2: Terri-Lynne McClintic. "She was an essential part of all that happened," Gowdey said. "I expect her credibility will be a major issue in this case."

Chapter 3: Guelph -- video surveillance and bank records detailing the events there.

Chapter 4: the Mount Forest death scene, which the jury will visit. "It will be difficult to go to the very place where this happened, I know that, but understanding the crime scene is crucial to understanding the crime," Gowdey said. Photographs, some of them graphic, will be used to explain "exactly how the killing happened."
"Unfortunately it is only through them that you can fully understand (the) evidence," Gowdey said.

Chapter 5: Police interaction with Rafferty.

Chapter 6: The searches of Rafferty and McClintic's residences and the evidence found.

Chapter 7: The Honda Civic. What was found inside.

Chapter 8: Rafferty's connection to the Mount Forest area.

Chapter 9: Comments Rafferty made to friends after April 8. "He had some interesting things to say to other people about Terri-Lynne McClintic and about the kidnapping itself," Gowdey said.

Chapter 10: The May 15 weekend and Rafferty's actions.

Chapter 11: The BlackBerry. The BlackBerry allowed police to track his movements April 8 and after.

Chapter 12: A recap of the surveillance video.
http://www.lfpress.com/news/london/r.../19463111.html

Salem's warning from last week:
Okay everybody - LISTEN UP! We are not bashing, accusing or blaming Tori's family here. It won't be allowed.
Children walk home from school every day without incident. Parents are not perfect, it's just not possible. Tori's parents DID NOT do this to her. TLM and an accomplice DID. That is where the blame goes.
We had a lot of family bashing in the early parts of this investigation after Tori went missing and a lot of baseless accusations - NONE OF WHICH PROVED TO BE TRUE. Victim and family bashing will not be allowed during this trial.
Thank you,
Salem

---------------------------------
and reposting SoSueMe's warning:
As some of you may have noticed, the members following this case are dropping in numbers. It's disheartening to us because we need and welcome discussion of both sides of every issue on Websleuths.
Zero tolerance means ZERO tolerance. Please discuss this case with respect to your fellow members. Subtle and veiled harassment and/or talking in code about other members will not be tolerated.
A word of caution on the Alerts in this forum. If you alert a post, make sure it is a clear violation of our Terms of Service. A difference of opinion is not a violation of TOS.
Please note that everything discussed in court and printed/tweeted is now within the realm of discussion. WS has never and does not now have a policy of "innocent until proven guilty." That is for the court room. Here, we discuss, speculate, theorize and judge according to the opinions we develop from following the case.
Keeping that in mind, abuse of our alert system is a good way to find yourself in timeout or worse. Abuse of the alert systems includes, but is not limited to:
Alerting repeatedly on the same poster;
Demanding a specific outcome;
Alerting on the same post more than once.
Once you have alerted a post, move on and don't question the decisions of our Administrators, Moderators or Owners.
Following this trial is very important to our members and we're going to see that they have their day in court. The "zero tolerance" policy in this forum will continue and it will be enforced.
Thank you and please carry on.
Sue aka SoSueMe
Websleuths Co-Owner

Sounds like it will be almost a full week, Monday through Thursday. Hopefully we will make some headway, here.

Salem

Good Morning!

stafford-5.jpg

Rafferty jury visits crime scene

The jury in the first-degree murder trial of Michael Rafferty will visit Monday the remote country spot where the body of eight-year-old Victoria 'Tori' Stafford was found.

The small clearing among the trees and fields off Conc. Rd. 6 N south of Mount Forest is also the place, the Crown claims, where the Woodstock girl was raped and killed.

Rafferty, 31, will also be visiting the scene, as will his lawyer, Crown attorneys, Justice Thomas Heeney and other court officials.

Heeney told jurors Friday how to approach what they see.

"What you see. . . is not evidence," he said. "However, you may find you are better able to understand the evidence given to you in court."

http://www.lfpress.com/news/london/raffertytrial/2012/04/02/19581526.html

Does this mean no court today?

I agree, I think those interactions will be very important. I'm really interested in what they might be able to tell us about the dynamics of their relationship. Was one the leader, one the follower is she threatening him? Its hard for me to believe that she would have revealed that much, you'd think someone with that much experience locked up would know they were being taped, but I'll guess we'll see.

Maybe TLM was wired for sound, kwim. ;)

MR is going too? I wonder how he will behave while there? cry? stare at the ground? ugh...JMO

Avery Moore‏@AveryFreeFMNews

I will not be tweeting from the #Rafferty trial as jurors head to the place Tori Stafford's body was found. Will be back in court tomorrow

MR is going too? I wonder how he will behave while there? cry? stare at the ground? ugh...JMO

I'm not surprised. He gets a little time off from his cell. Maybe he'll get treated to a Timmie's breakfast.:banghead:

Interesting. It's been stated in other reports that a few chosen members of the media will be present. I'm sure they will be watching his demeanor very closely. Thank you kindly ladies for being so dedicated and providing the tweets. <3

I agree, I think those interactions will be very important. I'm really interested in what they might be able to tell us about the dynamics of their relationship. Was one the leader, one the follower is she threatening him? Its hard for me to believe that she would have revealed that much, you'd think someone with that much experience locked up would know they were being taped, but I'll guess we'll see.

From these Tweets, it seems they both knew their calls and visits would be monitored:

AM980.ca&#8207;@AM980_Court

McClintic took a polygraph test on May 19th. Said she planned on lying. Days prior, she says Rafferty told her she did nothing wrong.
Gerry Dewan &#8207;@GerryDewanCTV

Derstine says having someone tell you don't worry you didn't do anything when you did something is kind of odd, isn it.
Gerry Dewan &#8207;@GerryDewanCTV

McClintic responds "on a phone that could be monitored."

I doubt much except body language will reveal anything during their taped visits and phone calls. If they had, MTR would have been on LE's radar long before May 15th.

JMO

I hope Rafferty has to wear hand cuffs and shackles for this walk down memory lane

The timing for this trip is perfect since it coincides with the time of year Tori was murdered three years ago. The jury will be able to see roughly how the foliage was in early spring. JMO What was the temperature in Mount Forest for that day and evening? Around 4 degrees Celsius I think. On top of a hill could have made it feel colder but I suppose the rock pile could also serve as a wind break as well as an area to stay hidden somewhat. JMO

Jurors at Rafferty Trial to Visit Scene Where Tori's Remains Were Found

Superior Court Judge Thomas Heeney told the jury on Friday that what they will see there is not evidence, but it's hoped that they can get a better understanding of the evidence after seeing the scene for themselves. There will be eight markers placed at the scene to guide the jury's visit, from the entry to the laneway Rafferty and McClintic allegedly travelled down with Tori to the spot underneath an evergreen tree where her remains were found.

``They really will enable you to be able to take what amounts of a self-guided tour,'' Heeney said.

The jury is expected to arrive at the site, which is about 2 1/2 hours away from the courthouse in London around noon and the
trial will resume with testimony Tuesday.

http://www.am980.ca/channels/news/local/Story.aspx?ID=1679873

The timing for this trip is perfect since it coincides with the time of year Tori was murdered three years ago. The jury will be able to see roughly how the foliage was in early spring. JMO What was the temperature in Mount Forest for that day and evening? Around 4 degrees Celsius I think. On top of a hill could have made it feel colder but I suppose the rock pile could also serve as a wind break as well as an area to stay hidden somewhat. JMO

I believe there was still some snow on the ground according to testimony.

Steven D'Souza&#8207;@cbcsteve

On my way to Mt Forest as #Rafferty jury gets set to visit site where Tori Stafford was murdered

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
branditau.wareham72@gmail