Mega Millions Controversy

JaneDoe91

Reaction score
Apparently one of the alleged Mega Millions winners has already found herself in a bit of a pickle. To paraphrase: A woman participated in a "lottery pool" with some of her McD co-workers and now believes that one of her tickets is a winner. However, this person is stating that the winning ticket was one out of a batch that she purchased with her own funds, seperate and apart from the lottery pool.

My source for this was a 4/2/2012 article found in the NY Post. Didn't want to post the hyperlink because I was worried that might be against TOS. Sorry bout that.

Question 1 is this....doesn't it seem like we always hear some variation of this story everytime there is a big lottery win?

Question 2....If you found yourself in this type of situation, what would you do?

I saw this on good morning america. I had to text my son. hes in college aand has worked at mcdonalds all through High school and college. He asked me yesterday if we won the lottery so he could quit. lol . When i saw she worked at mcdonalds i thought it was funny and so did he. I think that ticket was probally everyones in the pool! she should split it! Manager gave her that five dollars to buy five more tickets and they werent in the safe with the other ones. :waitasec::what:

Apparently one of the alleged Mega Millions winners has already found herself in a bit of a pickle. To paraphrase: A woman participated in a "lottery pool" with some of her McD co-workers and now believes that one of her tickets is a winner. However, this person is stating that the winning ticket was one out of a batch that she purchased with her own funds, seperate and apart from the lottery pool.

My source for this was a 4/2/2012 article found in the NY Post. Didn't want to post the hyperlink because I was worried that might be against TOS. Sorry bout that.

Question 1 is this....doesn't it seem like we always hear some variation of this story everytime there is a big lottery win?

Question 2....If you found yourself in this type of situation, what would you do?

The person in our group who buys our tickets for the "pool" gets them in advance and then emails copies of those tickets to those involved. This way, there is no question on the tickets for the pool.

IMO, this women could have bought two groups of tickets, but I suggest that she will be sharing her wealth with every confirmed member of the ticket pool, because she did not clearly identify the tickets in advance that where purchased for the pool.

This is why you only buy for yourself with photo copies and all that jazz.

I'd never be the sole buyer for a group.

Idgits.

I used to run a pool with co- workers. That said:
1. All participants' names and copies of numbers were distributed prior to the draw.
2. I also played my own picks, but bought at a different time and store. If I couldn't, I delegated group purchases to someone else. Same distribution as above.
3. I would be busted if I tried to claim ticket as my own, cuz they all had copies. Even if I bought the tickets after work on the day of the draw, the tickets were scanned and e-mailed prior to the draw...still wouldn't fly.

Bottom line, group ticket - group split. I'm honest lol.

BTW....this was my very first thread on WS! YAY! Thanks to everyone who participated....kinda makes me feel like a REAL member now, LOL.

We bought 50 dollars worth of quick picks two weeks ago. I had everyone sign their name on the back of the tickets. When they didnt win the big jackpot I turned them in and we won 60 bucks for matching a few of the numbers. So I turned that money over and bought 60 $ worth of quickpicks for this last week.

Again, I had everyone sign the back of all the tickets. Even though 4 of us are family members, the 5th is my sons girlfriend. I didnt want there to be any problems if they broke up and if there was a fight over who the tix belonged to. We all chipped in with $ but I went to purchase the tix.

She is likely going to lose this battle. I saw so many articles and news clips warning about this very thing prior to the drawing. We were told exactly how to avoid this situation. She did everything wrong and she did nothing to protect herself if she won on a ticket she bought herself.

Hmmmmm.

I live in Las Vegas, where we don't have any lottery and aren't one of the states that participate in the Mega Millions.

Normally, hubby and I would have gone to the state line to buy our own tix, but he's working out of the country and I had to work. So....I had a bunch of friends going to San Francisco for the weekend and gave one of them 10 bucks to buy me some quick picks. She arrived in SF on Friday morning and called later to tell me she got the tickets. I made her read me MY numbers over the phone.

For one thing, I wasn't about to wait until today to find out what happened. Also, I wasn't about to take the chance that our tickets got "mixed up!" Even so, my ticket was in a hotel room in San Francisco and completely out of my control!

My friend told me today that she didn't expect me to ask her to give me the numbers beforehand and was totally prepared to claim the winning ticket - whichever it was!

I don't really believe that, but I'm grateful I didn't win this time, under the circumstances. I wouldn't have wanted to lose a great friend over money.

I'm not sure this woman is actually one of the three winners, but if the other folks don't have proof of the "group" numbers, I say it's their word against hers.

She's gonna have to suck it up and split it with everyone that went in on the pool... If and thats a big IF she did buy them seperate she did not protect herself.

Its alot of money non the less for everyone even split....

My advice to her is DON'T spend it on the lawyers you'll be sorry you did, you'll wind up paying the lawyer most of your money after you lose.....moo

Where I used to work, we used to pool when the lottery got big. We just made a few copies of the pool tickets, and then everyone was free to buy separate ones. I don't understand why people don't do this, even if it's just a few people going in together. It's quick, simple, and would have avoided any confusion had we ever won.

[/B]

The person in our group who buys our tickets for the "pool" gets them in advance and then emails copies of those tickets to those involved. This way, there is no question on the tickets for the pool.

IMO, this women could have bought two groups of tickets, but I suggest that she will be sharing her wealth with every confirmed member of the ticket pool, because she did not clearly identify the tickets in advance that where purchased for the pool.

This is how we do it as well. We Xerox copies and everyone gets a copy.

This is exactly why, when my husband entered the work pool AND bought our own tickets just for our family, he photocopied the work tickets and gave a copy to everyone. That way there's proof of what was ours and what was in the pool. That was my first thought when I knew we had separate tickets. What if ours wins and everyone at work questions him??

I used to be the buyer for a pool here at work. When I would buy extra tickets (for myself only) I would lay all the tickets out to everyone and tell them to pick the ones for this pool. After the ones were selected for the pool, I made copies of the pool tickets and passed out to everyone. And kept the others for myself.

This woman shouldn't be so creedy, there is plenty there for her and everyone else. She will loose this battle.

I swear EVERY time there is a Mega-Millions lottery drawing we hear some story or controversy like this.

Anyway, I honestly think I would split the money. If those were my co-workers and we had formed friendships over the time I had worked there, I would WANT to help them out too. I don't understand the greediness of people..I really, really don't. Help your fellow co-workers and their families out. You don't need 200-something million dollars all to your self. You just don't.

I will never enter a lottery pool for this very reason. If I ever win the lottery, I will claim that ticket as mine, my mother's, and my two sister's, and it will be split equally... spend wisely!

I would never enter into a pool with co/workers/friends. Nope!

Five Albuquerque Station Eight firefighters who won a $10,000 share of the Mega Millions jackpot last week have decided to donate an unspecified part of their winnings to fellow fireman Vince Cordova, who is suffering from a life-threatening tumor.

"We decided to get tickets ten minutes before the sales closed," said Capt. Jed Hyland told local news affiliate KOB. "I ran in shouting that we hit 5 of the 6 numbers."

(snip)

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sidesho...winnings-ailing-fellow-fireman-183135668.html

Kudos to these firefighters!!!

A similar thing happened to me almost 20 years ago. My (now) husband and I won 100,000 in Powerball. He had headed up a pool at school the next state over that didn't have the powerball lottery. I'd never played before. My husband bought a bunch of tickets for his school people, and the following day I bought my own ticket. I was going to buy a 2 dollar quick pick, but he threw in 3 dollars and said, make it 5, and if you win, we'll split the money.
I stayed up the night of the drawing and wrote down the numbers. When I checked my ticket, I'd gotten 5 numbers but not the powerball number.
To make a long story short, some of the the people he went to school with didn't believe that I won with my ticket. There was a lot of grumbling, but if push had come to shove, we would have been able to prove my ticket was separate and apart from theirs, since I'd bought mine on a different day at a different store from their group of tickets. There are codes on the tickets that mark them.
I think that if these people are on the up and up, there will be a way to prove it, even if they have to get video surveillance or whatever. And some people just prefer the uglier story.
I can understand why they would be suspicious, and it made for a very tense last few months of school for my husband.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back