857 users online (175 members and 682 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

TN - Michael Cocchini, 23, Sevierville, 18 March 2012

23 year old Michael Cocchini went missing in the Smoky Mountains about the same time as another Tennessee 20-something, Derek Lueking. The two cases don't appear to be related, but it's an odd coincidence.

Smokies scales back searches for Derek Lueking and Michael Cocchini
    Late Tuesday, a search was begun for Michael Giovanni Cocchini, 23, who is a Nashville resident staying temporarily in Gatlinburg. He was last seen by friends at the Walmart in Sevierville at about 2 p.m. Sunday, March 18.

Rangers became suspicious Tuesday afternoon when they noticed that a vehicle had been parked since Sunday at a quiet walkway along Newfound GapRoad about 1 mile south of the Park’s Sugarlands Visitor Center.

The walkway does not connect to the Park’s trail system, so there would be no reason that backpackers would leave vehicles there overnight. The walkway is a short, easy, trail that extends into the woods a short distance off the road and then dead-ends at the West Prong of the Little Pigeon River.
    Family holds out hope for missing man
    Cocchini's mother Patti finds it difficult to talk about her son without breaking out into tears.

"He was kind to everybody, but the world doesn't always work out for people like that," said Patti Cocchini.

Krissy Cocchini, Michael's sister, said park rangers found Cocchini's car by an overlook in the national park, the only other clue was a note found in Cocchini's room where he was staying with friends in Gatlinburg. But even the note adds another layer of mystery to his disappearance.

"'Goodbye thanks for everything,' is what the note said," said Krissy Cocchini.
    It sounds like both men went missing voluntarily, but with different intentions. I'm worried about Michael being suicidal, though his family thinks the note can be interpreted differently. I hope so.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by summer_breeze; 09-06-2012 at 12:47 PM.

This is a blog for hikers with information regarding both Michael and Derek. I still find it very strange both disappeared at almost the exact same location just one day apart.

http://www.hikingtrailsblogs.com/cat...chael-cocchini

The world is full of monsters with friendly faces and angels full of scars. ~ Unknown

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~ Aristotle

The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.

Last edited by KateB; 04-26-2015 at 02:14 PM. Reason: repair url tag.
    The world is full of monsters with friendly faces and angels full of scars. ~ Unknown

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~ Aristotle

Michael's Youtube account: http://www.youtube.com/user/thehumancat777

Quote Originally Posted by SurfieTX View Post
    I'm pretty sure this account belongs to a different Michael...I watched the video he posted about his life and there was no sister with the same name as the sister in the tv interview with the family of the missing Michael.

Quote Originally Posted by radiator View Post
    I'm pretty sure this account belongs to a different Michael...I watched the video he posted about his life and there was no sister with the same name as the sister in the tv interview with the family of the missing Michael.
    I thought that initially at first too, but the brother matches up perfectly - to and including the pictures the brother has on his FB page.

Quote Originally Posted by SurfieTX View Post
    I thought that initially at first too, but the brother matches up perfectly - to and including the pictures the brother has on his FB page.
    Interesting, I wonder why he mentioned only his sister Lisa in the autobiographical video. It is an odd, sort of over-the-top, description of his life that he posted two years ago in response to either being kicked out of or not allowed to enlist in the army. It was made a couple of years ago and certainly describes a very accomplished 21-year-old. I hope he's okay.

Aborted search for missing Smokies hikers cost at least $70,000

They searched. They sniffed.

They soared over the treetops in helicopters in the effort to spot the missing men — all in vain.

The fruitless search for two men in the national park last month cost taxpayers more than $70,000, officials said last week.

[snip]

Meanwhile, Michael Cocchini and hiker Derek Lueking, who officials say didn’t know each other, remain missing. “Neither one has been found,” park spokesman Bob Miller said. “We have no idea what happened to them.”

More: http://www.citizen-times.com/article/20120408/NEWS/304080042/Hiker-searches-cost-70K?odyssey=mod|newswell|text|Frontpage|s

I'm mostly a lurked around here and feel horrible saying this but here in the UK we've had a few cases recently where strangers have met up to commit suicide together. I know it looks like these guys don't know each other but maybe they've been in touch through one of those digusting suicide sites that give people tips on ways to commit suicide.

I really hope this isn't what's happened and they both just need time out and will be in touch with family soon.

3 missing cases still puzzle Tenn. park officials

Officials at the Great Smoky Mountains National Park deal with lost visitors every year and most all of them are found.

Three missing person incidents, however, still are unsolved and are known internally as "the big three."

[snip]

On March 26, rangers called off simultaneous searches for two men whose cars were found abandoned.

Up to 60 people per day had been looking for a week for Derek Leuking, 24, of Blount County when the car belonging to 23-year-old Michael Giovanni Cocchini of Nashville was discovered.

No trace of either has been found and park officials say it's unclear what became of them.

More: http://www.timesnews.net/article/904...park-officials

Remains may be linked to missing person case in Smokies

http://themountainpress.com/bookmark...-in-Smokies-b-

20 mins 1 sec ago

<snipped>
    On Monday human remains were discovered in the area, but have not yet been positively identified.

http://www.thedailytimes.com/Local_N...kies-id-026832

I guess items found with the remains point to Michael.

Remains found in Smokies were from Nashville man

http://www.sacbee.com/2012/09/06/479...kies-were.html

he Associated Press
    Published: Thursday, Sep. 6, 2012 - 8:39 am

<snipped>
    Park officials announced Thursday that medical investigators have positively identified the remains as belonging to 23-year-old Michael Giovanni Cocchini.
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++
    Rest in Peace Mr. Cocchini

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast