GUILTY WA - Dole Valley, WhtFem Skeletal UP10045, 18-25, Oct'74 - Martha Morrison *arrest*

CarlK90245

UID Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
This UP case was just added last week to NamUs.

NamUs UP Case 10045 https://identifyus.org/en/cases/10045

Unidentified White Female

Found on October 12, 1974 in the Dole Valley area of northern Clark County Washiington.

Age (est.) 18 to 25 years
Height (est.) 63 inches (5'3")
Body condition Not recognizable - Partial skeletal parts only
Circumstances Partial skeletal remains located in the Dole Valley area of northern Clark County Washiington.

Dentals: Maxillary Teeth 1,2,3,10,14,15,16 were all that remained. It doesn't appear that the mandible was recovered. #4 was broken off. Fillings in upper molars 2,3, and 14

DNA: Samples submitted - Tests not complete

Although there are very few details contained in this casefile, the details available seem quite consistent with Linda Lee Lovell (25), last seen on June 27, 1974.

2211389800045078242_zps98edf09c.jpg

https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/9136/0
http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/l/lovell_linda.html

Apparently she was hitchhiking through Northern California with a traveling companion named Stephen L Packard with an ultimate destination of Spokane WA. Clark County WA is along a logical route that one might have taken from Mendocino County CA to Spokane WA.

Stephen Packard's MP casefile was just added to NamUs today.

https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/14418/0

ETA: I sent an e-mail to Nikki Costa of the Office of the MedEx of Clark County

Stephen Packard's NamUs casefile now has a photo. I added it to the post above.

morrison_martha.jpg

Martha Marie Morrison

Endangered Missing from Eugene, Oregon since September 1, 1974

Age: 17 -- Height: 5'4" -- Weight: 170 lbs -- Hair Color: Brown -- Eye Color: Hazel

Martha was last seen in Eugene, Oregon on September 1, 1974. She had moved to Portland, Oregon with a male companion and had been visiting family in Eugene when she disappeared. She had a disagreement with the male she was staying with and was never heard from again.

NamUs

Charley Project

http://koin.com/2014/10/08/is-unidentified-1974-skeleton-martha-morrison/

On October 12, 1974, the skeletons of two women were found in the Dole Valley area of Clark County. One was identified right away as Carol Platt Valenzuela.

The other skeleton was never identified. But forensic investigators now are seeking more information about Martha Marie Morrison...

Martha Morrison was 17 when she was last seen in September 1974, authorities said in a release. She disappeared from Portland... Martha Marie Morrison was white, 5-feet-4, about 140 pounds with long brown hair and hazel eyes.

[h=1]'It's important for me to just know that she's really put to rest'[/h]
Reba Morrison says that before their mother died, she never gave up hope of finding Reba's sister Martha.

"When she was sick and dying she told me, when I find Martha, tell her momma loves her - not if, but when."

Reba is holding out hope that her sister's 1974 disappearance can be solved.

More: http://www.kmtr.com/news/local/Its-...w-that-shes-really-put-to-rest-279072741.html

http://registerguard.com/rg/news/lo...volving-local-teen-back-in-spotlight.html.csp

The Clark County Sheriff’s Office in Washington state is now working to identify the second of two bodies found on Oct. 12, 1974, in rural Dole Valley northeast of Vancouver. The first body was identified that same year as belonging to 18-year-old Carol Valenzuela of nearby Camas, Wash., but the second body long has been classified as an unknown “Jane Doe.”

Walker said DNA and other testing at various labs hasn’t eliminated Morrison as the possible victim, “but we need to confirm it.”

Operations Manager Niki Costa with the Clark County Medical Examiner’s Office also noted that the DNA indicators for the unidentified body point to Morrison, but aren’t conclusive. She said she is hopeful something will be generated through the renewed investigation to confirm the identification.

http://registerguard.com/rg/news/lo...volving-local-teen-back-in-spotlight.html.csp

Walker said DNA and other testing at various labs hasn’t eliminated Morrison as the possible victim, “but we need to confirm it.”

Operations Manager Niki Costa with the Clark County Medical Examiner’s Office also noted that the DNA indicators for the unidentified body point to Morrison, but aren’t conclusive. She said she is hopeful something will be generated through the renewed investigation to confirm the identification.

Martha Morrison is the MP we were sure was Orange Socks (but was ruled out). I hope her family finds closure.

So many women went missing in the Pacific Northwest in the 70s and 80s.

I hope we can identify this one. If they have a rule-out list then that most likely means that DNA testing has been complete, correct?

So many women went missing in the Pacific Northwest in the 70s and 80s.

I hope we can identify this one. If they have a rule-out list then that most likely means that DNA testing has been complete, correct?

According to Namus, yeah.

They didn't come up with an estimated postmortem interval for this UID, correct?

Thankful she finally got her name back! It was her fathers remains that gave the match. All other DNA was inconclusive

Remains of homicide victim found near Vancouver identified after 41 years
Medical examiners office employee spent eight years chasing leads
By Emily Gillespie, Columbian breaking news reporter
Published: July 13, 2015, 7:34 PM
In the years that followed, law enforcement took a swab from the inside of the cheeks of Reba Morrison and Martha’s half-brother, Michael Morrison, for DNA comparisons. The results yielded a possible match with the unidentified Dole Valley remains, but nothing conclusive.

“This is the first lead we’ve had on this case ever — since 1974 — for identifying this girl,” Costa said.

She was told by the experts: “You need more DNA; it’s statistically weak.”

But Martha Morrison’s parents were dead. When Costa reached out to more family, they were resistant.
So she tried different avenues: With help from the Eugene Police Department, Costa hunted down a tissue sample of Martha Morrison’s mother that was on file at a Springfield, Ore., medical facility. That sample, she said, was days away from being destroyed.

The sample showed the DNA was consistent, but still not conclusive.

After a while, experts told her the only thing left to do was to get DNA from Martha’s father, who had died in 1976. The National Center for Missing and Exploited Children told Costa that if she wanted to exhume Albert Ray Morrison’s body for a family DNA reference sample, they’d pay for it.

Reba Morrison agreed to the exhumation and the NCMEC spent the next few months coordinating with a cemetery and other agencies in Arizona, where he was buried. While coordinating the effort, Costa considered the possible negative outcomes, such as the possibility that Albert Ray Morrison wasn’t Martha Morrison’s biological father.
And on Wednesday, Costa got the email.

Costa choked up as she read aloud the words that concluded eight years’ worth of difficult and sometimes discouraging work: “It is 59.7 million times more likely to be Martha Morrison than any other unrelated Caucasian person with a probability of relatedness 99.999998 percent,” she said.

I'm so glad her family has found her. RIP Martha

Oh hallelujah. She's one of the missing I've most wanted to locate. I'm sorry she had to be found this way, though.

I actually remember seeing her case several times recently. (Last few months) She kept catching my eye. Maybe she'd been saying that she'd be ID'D soon?

Online articles about the other remains, identified as Carol Valenzuela, appear to indicate she is a suspected Bundy victim. Is Martha also now a suspected Bundy victim? I seem to recall he once claimed to have picked up and murdered an unknown hitchhiker on Labor Day weekend but I don't recall which year. September 1, 1974 would have fallen on a Sunday, the day before Labor Day. Martha could be the one Bundy spoke of.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
suvendudash
Back