1582 users online (284 members and 1298 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Just as creepy as ever to me!

Quote Originally Posted by Reality Orlando View Post
    How did he EVER get the possibility of parole??? He was sentenced to death, then California decided to drop the death penalty, but why wasn't that changed to life with no possible parole? How can that even be a consideration after what he was responsible for? Dear Lord, what that group did to the pregnant Sharon Tate alone qualifies for never being allowed out into society again.
    IANAL, but I don't believe the penalty of life-without-parole existed at the time the Supreme Court overturned the death penalty. So capital cases reverted to whatever sentence would have been the other option at the time of trial.

(ETA: I was wrong here. See Fishee's post below.)

With all due respect to my dear friend Gozgals, I think we should take care to avoid putting the words "Charles Manson" and "released" together in a sentence. Might be some sort of unintentional, evil spell.

But, seriously, I don't think we have to worry about Manson ever getting out. In the first place, he shows no remorse. In the second, California doesn't parole murderers casually any more.
    Last edited by Nova; 04-05-2012 at 03:51 PM.

John Albert Gardner III, serving life in prison for the rapes and murders of two North County teens, is sharing a unit with mass-murderer Charles Manson.

The sex offender pleaded guilty to the rapes and murders of Amber Dubois, 14, of Escondido, and Chelsea King, 17, of Poway.

Both close to my heart, as these cases happened here in San Diego. I find it fitting that Gardner has to spend his days and nights with one of the worst mad-men in history!

Can I get an AMEN!

Mel

He's obviously on some sort of drug treatment in some of those photos-- it's amazing that he looked older in 1996 than he did in 2006! His most recent shot has him looking like an old man again.

I've known a few mentally ill people, and the size of their eyes change, a lot, imo. Notice that in some pics his eyes appear larger and brighter, in some years, small and beady? It's the small and beady ones that I'm most cautious around. moo

I know its inappropriate-- but the thought of Manson being granted a release, posted on the curb with $100 and not a clue what 2012 is like would be the most ridiculously funny reality show ever. He would of course have a mental breakdown... maybe I am just sleepy in the mid afternoon and a bit slap happy, but the thought of Manson having lunch with Kim Kardashian, or the real housewives made me laugh so hard I snorted.

Quote Originally Posted by Reality Orlando View Post
    How did he EVER get the possibility of parole??? He was sentenced to death, then California decided to drop the death penalty, but why wasn't that changed to life with no possible parole? How can that even be a consideration after what he was responsible for? Dear Lord, what that group did to the pregnant Sharon Tate alone qualifies for never being allowed out into society again.
    "[A]ny prisoner now under a sentence of death ... may file a petition for writ of habeas corpus in the superior court inviting that court to modify its judgment to provide for the appropriate alternative punishment of life imprisonment or life imprisonment without possibility of parole specified by statute for the crime for which he was sentenced to death." 1972 - California v. Anderson

Doesn't matter - Chuck's not going anywhere and he knows it. He didn't even show up for his 2007 hearing.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishee View Post
    "[A]ny prisoner now under a sentence of death ... may file a petition for writ of habeas corpus in the superior court inviting that court to modify its judgment to provide for the appropriate alternative punishment of life imprisonment or life imprisonment without possibility of parole specified by statute for the crime for which he was sentenced to death." 1972 - California v. Anderson

Doesn't matter - Chuck's not going anywhere and he knows it. He didn't even show up for his 2007 hearing.
    Thank you, Fishee, for the correction. So I assume that the crimes for which Manson was convicted simply didn't carry LWOP as a penalty.

Thinking about Gardener --which I rarely do until I read this post today --- still brings tears to my eyes. What Amber and Cheseas' families went through and still endure gives me chills. Most people cherish their children.
    As far as Manson, it's amazing that he could EVER be considered for parole. One sad thing about his case that stood out was that when he was let out before the Tate and LaBianca (sp?) murders; he pleaded NOT to be freed, saying (paraphrased) " Please don't let me out, I wouldn't know how to survive in the real world.." . I think that Manson was quoted saying that in "Helter Skelter' , but I'm not sure. It's been a while since I read that.
    I think the pain of the victims' families has not subsided and there would be an outcry if Manson was actually freed. I don't live in the state where he's incarcerated, but might be influenced to write to that prison in oppostion of the release of any of Mansons' followers --if it looked like any of them were to be freed.
    Some of his followers have 'found religion' and are supposedly different now.
    But their crimes still endure as some of the most heinous ever committed.
    jmo

He's getting that cloudy look in his eyes that I've seen when older people start to fade away.

He might not be around a lot longer. I call it "when the light starts to leave their eyes" look.

A very severely mentally ill and very dangerous man.

Quote Originally Posted by Melanie View Post
    John Albert Gardner III, serving life in prison for the rapes and murders of two North County teens, is sharing a unit with mass-murderer Charles Manson.

The sex offender pleaded guilty to the rapes and murders of Amber Dubois, 14, of Escondido, and Chelsea King, 17, of Poway.

Both close to my heart, as these cases happened here in San Diego. I find it fitting that Gardner has to spend his days and nights with one of the worst mad-men in history!

Can I get an AMEN!

Mel
    They should duke it out in prison.

HMS Hood
    Mighty Hood
    Pennant Number: 51
    Motto: Ventis Secundis ("With Favourable Winds")
    May 15, 1920-May 24, 1941

Quote Originally Posted by MayraMM View Post
    I think he did less than 30 years as a free man. He was in his 30s or 40s when arrested for these murders, and had already served more than half his life in institutions, so really, he has no concept of how to survive in the world. What's really odd is that there are so many criminals out there that equal, if not exceed, his atrocities, yet for some reason they don't hold the same interest with the public as Manson and his girls. I wonder why that is.
    You're correct about the interest.If I am flipping through the Guide and I spy something about Manson I always go to that channel...even if I have seen it 50times before.

I've posted this before on WS but can't remember which thread.

Back in the early 80's I was in college. I had the opportunity to read a letter that CM had written in response to a letter he received in jail. It was brought into the classroom by another student.

It was about 3 or 4 pages of rambling. With drawings and scribbled words along the margins. The man is what we could label with the legal term insane. Completely out of touch with reality for the most part. I can only imagine he's worse now.

I read a book (I've read quite a few about CM so I can't remember which one ) but it seems IIRC he had been in KY (or some state adjacent possibly) prior to his going out West and he was thieving or some such on farmers land. The farmers shot his backside full of rock salt. IIRC it was said he said he'd never go back to those parts again. I always remember the rock salt thing whenever CM's name comes up in the news for some reason lol. Just sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by Melanie View Post

Can I get an AMEN!

Mel
    A big Amen from me! I followed Amber's case from Day 1 and hold a special and dear place in my heart for her.

I'm suprised Manson is still alive!! Do we know if he has any illnesses...well besides his mental issues?
    Justice for Holly Bobo🎀

Quote Originally Posted by Fishee View Post

I don't even think he'd want to get out at this point. Where would he go? He spent more than half is life in prison....a place he probably calls home.

On a side note....how did he get a cellphone? Twice?

Could Charles Manson Friend You on Facebook?

http://www.fastcompany.com/1727419/c...ou-on-facebook
    Justice for Holly Bobo🎀

Quote Originally Posted by ~n/t~ View Post
    I don't even think he'd want to get out at this point. Where would he go? He spent more than half is life in prison....a place he probably calls home.
    He's said as much in the past.

It's the only life he knows.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast