Snap on Teeth

Casshew

Former Member
Reaction score
Today marks the beginning of Christmas shopping season, and -- surprisingly -- a lot of people will be in the market for false teeth. Dentists who make the relatively-new Snap on Teeth are expecting to have patients chomping at the bit to get them for the holidays.

Manhattan dentist Marc Liechtung is one of the few doctors who make Snap on Teeth and says the typical customer uses the clip-on choppers to hide nasty, stained or worn-down-to-the-nub teeth.

Unlike a full plate of dentures, you don't have to get your real teeth pulled in order to make room for the snap ons, which fit over the teeth.

Dr. Liechtung makes a dental impression of existing teeth to create a prosthetic model that snaps onto the back teeth and can be removed at any time.

He says the $3000 process is easier and more economical than the other tooth-covering option -- getting a full mouth of veneers for about $30,000.

http://www.ncbuy.com/news/2004-11-26/1011179.html

If you have to get your teeth pulled, your teeth are probably in bad shape and putting snap on teeth over them can cause infections or other problems. Also, since the snap on teeth can brake while eating baby food, it doesn’t make sense to place them over decaying teeth unless you are on a liquid diet. If your teeth are that bad, you’re better off going to a good dentist, saving the teeth that can be saved and getting a partial denture that you can use for looks and function.
Distinctive

Ok I know this sounds crazy but my 9 yr old DD does pageants and kids as young as 2 wear false teeth. They are called flippers and they slip over your teeth.They hide imperfect or missing teeth . I have never used them for my daughter and I assure you it is quite disturbing to see 2 year olds with big white horse teeth. It costs $50 for the impression kit to be sent to you and another $200 for the flipper to be made.

Ok I know this sounds crazy but my 9 yr old DD does pageants and kids as young as 2 wear false teeth. They are called flippers and they slip over your teeth.They hide imperfect or missing teeth . I have never used them for my daughter and I assure you it is quite disturbing to see 2 year olds with big white horse teeth. It costs $50 for the impression kit to be sent to you and another $200 for the flipper to be made.

That's funny you would mention that, I was thinking I saw the exact same type of thing on a child beauty show program. I guess I was right.

There is nothing cuter than a child with their two front teeth missing, good for you letting your child go natural.

This sounds like a scam. A flipper is a temporary plastic appliances similar to a partial denture that replace missing front teeth. They do not cover existing teeth unless they are short stubs. When flippers are used to eat, they soon loose contact with the opposing teeth, do damage to the surrounding areas in the mouth the flipper covers, and becomes very loose. They are not recommended for children to wear all the time because it restricts permanent teeth from growing properly. As far as buying a kit to take the impression yourself is definitely a scam. To take an impression you must be knowledgeable how to do it. Even many experienced dentists don’t know how to take them resulting in ill fitting dentures, partials and even crowns. My recommendation is, “DON’T FALL FOR IT.
Distinctive

I think the Snap-on teeth in the OP are mainly for just appearance. Many actors use them for different roles. They even make ugly snaggly ones for actors playing the part of villains or pirates or whatever. Remember Dustin Hoffman putting in his fake teeth in Tootsie? They just pop in over your teeth. I don't think they are meant for eating or anything like that.

OMG, where the heck was this thread pulled from, lol.!!!!

Now why would it upset me, lol - it's just soooooooooooooo old - from four years ago. geez........

I guess you have to be in dentistry to understand this. It would probably take pages to explain. The best I can do is provide you with this web site. If you are still interested, look it up. Headaches from clenching teeth

I guess you have to be in dentistry to understand this. It would probably take pages to explain. The best I can do is provide you with this web site. If you are still interested, look it up. Headaches from clenching teeth
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
I looked at the website I provided you earlier and it does not explain what I mean. Here is a better explanation:
Lies, Myths, and Fairytales told in Dentistry
Myth #1. All you have to be is a good dentist and patients will flood your office.
Reality: The public doesn't know the difference between a good and a bad dentist.
Good Dentists are usually to busy helping patients and don’t spend enough time to promote their dental practices. Bad dentists know how to attract unsuspected patients and later talk them into procedures they don’t need.
Myth #2: Advertising and Marketing is unprofessional.
Reality: Advertising and marketing is the best way to educate the public on what they need and to sell them what they don’t need.
Myth #3: We are in a Recession.
Reality: While The New York Times and CNN is brain washing everyone about the doom and gloom of our economy, those who know how to take advantage of the situation also know how to profit from it. I believe that while some dentists are using this philosophy to promote business, other dentists use it to “clean patients”. The term clean is a term thieves use on the streets in Russia to rob unsuspected tourists.
Distinctive

http://tometalk-erudite.blogspot.com

The following comment appeared on( Snap On Smile to Increase Vertical Dimension? | DDSGadget Dental )- I tried to post the following response, but they did not allow it. I hope that I can post it here.

Gum Goddess on September 17th, 2008 10:12 pm
I have been a dental hygienist for 20+ years and I will tell you that I have seen the Snap on Smile appliance transform patient’s lives. Is it the ultimate treatment? In most cases, no. The permanent work would be the optimum.
However, when a patient has financial issues and has to chose between proceeding with upwards of a $5,000 restorative case or doing nothing, this is a beautiful and more affordable option. The appliance actually helps the patient move forward with the final restorative case because when they see how great their smile can look, they want it to be permanent.
There are also people who are medically compromised who have benefitted greatly from this, as well as severely dental phobic patients who refused all previous recommended treatment because they went into a sweat at the thought of having an injection.
It is NOT recommended for severely periodontally involved patients and no ethical dentist would place this over decayed teeth. If disease is involved, that needs to be addressed first.
It’s sort of like a padded bra. It enhances your appearance, but if you’re sagging underneath, it isn’t going to correct that, yet is isn’t going to hurt it either (but you still have to shower!). It makes you feel better, more confident when you think you look good. It is a short or long-term temporary cosmetic fix. And most importantly, it makes the patient wearing it happy.
Instead of knocking something you really don’t know anything about first hand, go to the source instead of making comments based solely on your opinion or someone else’s opinion that you’ve read. There are a lot of people out there ready to drag a good idea or product down because of their ignorance. Talk to people in the profession who are using it and find out from them the facts.
I’m sure they will be at the Greater NY Dental meeting in Nov. Go to their booth and check it out for yourself. (Now why does the dental industry still support this product?)

Dearest Gum Goddess.
In response to-“I have been a dental hygienist for 20+ years and I will tell you that I have seen the Snapon Smile appliance transform patient’s lives. “Do you work for him now? Here are comments from the people who whose lives he transformed. The comments are from his video clip on You Tube.
Don’t waste your money! I got mine today and i almost cried! They look so fake and they are so bulky and i paid 800.00 for a fake piece of plastic! This Is a big rip off!
coachj57 (2 weeks ago) Show Hide
Don't waste your money, I wasted $2,700 for upper and lower. I look like Mr. Ed, can't speak correctly (like Mr. Ed with a bit in his mouth), are uncomfortable and feel like you have a mouth full of plastic play teeth.
As usual, advertising that doesn't come through on the promise.
rashidakelleyjohnson (1 month ago) Show Hide
I totally agree with ilianexy. I got the upper unit last year- the teeth are extremely bulky. They make you look like Fire Marshall Bill (Jim Carey's character on in Living Color). I was hoping that this would be a good option but- they have many more kinks to work out.
coachj57 (2 weeks ago) Show Hide
I am glad I am not the only one to have issues.
blockbyblock (1 month ago) Show Hide
ok,,,,, ok.... ur ridiculous!
ilianexy (2 months ago) Show Hide
I want him to show someone talking and eating with the snap on smile, is impossible! He is a really nice dentist with a great idea, is just not ready for the market yet, because is useless, mine is in the drawer for almost a year with no use. I know he will have lots of patients complaining. I will uplaoad my video with them so u can see what I am talking about!
ilianexy (2 months ago) Show Hide
I have them. Cost me $1,500. They are molded plastic, painful because is really tight, you cannot speak at all, you cannot eat anything with them, they did 3 impressions to get it right none worked. They look very unnatural and gigantic, just ridiculous. I want my money back!
fashionplus07 (3 months ago) Show Hide

Your next statement “However, when a patient has financial issues and has to chose between proceeding with upwards of a $5,000 restorative case or doing nothing,” can be best answered by the person
whose life he transformed. “ I wasted $2,700 for upper and lower. I look like Mr. Ed, can't speak correctly (like Mr. Ed with a bit in his mouth), are uncomfortable and feel like you have a mouth full of plastic play teeth.

Distinctive

Snap on teeth. Just that term makes me laugh. :D

What about just putting Chicklets over your brown nasties? It's a lot cheaper.

Now why would it upset me, lol - it's just soooooooooooooo old - from four years ago. geez........
Also,the thread was started by casshew (remember her?) I was thinking "OMG!!! Casshew is back! Until I noticed it was back in 2004!

Snap on teeth...can you imagine getting that as a christmas gift!:crazy:

I'm actually in the process of something like this. I wear a full upper and lower set of dentures but started having problems due to dysphagia, a swallowing disorder.

To help me with that they are removing the whole palate of my uppers and shortening the backs of my lowers. To be able to do this they are inserting implants that make my dentures snap on!

Not the totally same thing but when I saw the title it was a bit funny. Or maybe I'm just loopy from lack of sleep lol

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back