Page 2 of 52 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by southern_comfort View Post
    I am one of the people who thinks they remember this post, so I follow your reasoning regarding why it had to be posted while McD was in jail. I'm still trying to reserve a conclusion because there are possible, however unlikely, explanations.

If it was intentional, they are skating on a very thin line. I see a difference between (i) fudging a little or being lazy with authentication and letting the defense worry about poking holes in it, which happens all the time and (ii) intentionally standing before a judge and giving him evidence that they know could not possibly be accurate or relevant. Even though it was worded in such a way as to avoid an outright false statement of fact, I think number (ii) moves into the area of false evidence.

Perhaps more than anything, I am puzzled by the lack of reaction by the defense. They didn't seem surprised by what was said, but they didn't do anything about it.
    I'm wondering if the DT did not do anything because they had never heard about this particular post. The DT knows that there were some awful posts made by sol so if they were unsure and objected, the DA could have produced the post, which if true, would have been worse for McD. (Never ask a question you don't know the answer to) As it is, we are left questioning whether there really was such a post by McD.
    If there is not a illegitimate post, that leads me to believe there is little evidence against McD that we don't know about.

A proud decedent of The Declaration of Independence signer.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 3doglady For This Useful Post:

Was there a response to the bond motion posted online anywhere? Thanks in advance.
    I have not seen one.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Backwoods For This Useful Post:

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MaconMom For This Useful Post:

Also a new one at www.macon.com:
    Defense: McDaniel doesn’t have to prove his mental health

Lawyers representing the man accused in the June slaying of Lauren Giddings filed a written argument Friday to buttress their position that Stephen McDaniel shouldn’t be required to prove he won’t harm himself if released on bond.

read more at: http://www.macon.com/2012/04/06/1977...nk=rss#wgt=rss

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Backwoods For This Useful Post:

I am one of the people who thinks they remember this post, so I follow your reasoning regarding why it had to be posted while McD was in jail. I'm still trying to reserve a conclusion because there are possible, however unlikely, explanations.

If it was intentional, they are skating on a very thin line. I see a difference between (i) fudging a little or being lazy with authentication and letting the defense worry about poking holes in it, which happens all the time and (ii) intentionally standing before a judge and giving him evidence that they know could not possibly be accurate or relevant. Even though it was worded in such a way as to avoid an outright false statement of fact, I think number (ii) moves into the area of false evidence.

Perhaps more than anything, I am puzzled by the lack of reaction by the defense. They didn't seem surprised by what was said, but they didn't do anything about it.
    bbm: In the case of this post, the distinction between the two does seem to be a delicate operation, doesn't it? It seems to me that even if your #(ii) is the truth, the DA could easily claim #(i) -- remember that poor intern we were hypothesizing?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Backwoods For This Useful Post:

Not meaning to deviate from the current conversation, but I was driving by the Barrington Hall apartments today, and kind of got stuck in traffic right in front of the AT&T building next to the apartments. As I was waiting for traffic to move, I noticed the security camera on the front right side of the roof of the building, and how the dumpsters are somewhat visible from that angle. There is one fir-type tree there near the dumpsters, but there seems to be several spaces where I'm guessing that the camera could possibly have caught something that evening. I am really anxious to find out whether or not a part of the evidence is video footage from that security camera.

12. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to McMunn For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by McMunn View Post
    Not meaning to deviate from the current conversation, but I was driving by the Barrington Hall apartments today, and kind of got stuck in traffic right in front of the AT&T building next to the apartments. As I was waiting for traffic to move, I noticed the security camera on the front right side of the roof of the building, and how the dumpsters are somewhat visible from that angle. There is one fir-type tree there near the dumpsters, but there seems to be several spaces where I'm guessing that the camera could possibly have caught something that evening. I am really anxious to find out whether or not a part of the evidence is video footage from that security camera.
    Unfortunately, I think those cameras were installed after the murder.

http://www.13wmaz.com/laurengiddings...ng-Up-Security
    If I can stop one heart from breaking,
    I shall not live in vain;
    If I can ease one life the aching,
    Or cool one pain,
    Or help one fainting robin
    Unto his nest again,
    I shall not live in vain.
    ~Emily Dickinson~

Unfortunately, I think those cameras were installed after the murder.

http://www.13wmaz.com/laurengiddings...ng-Up-Security
    No, this was actually the security camera on the AT&T roof. It was there during the time of the murder, but I never had the opportunity to stop and view from that angle for very long, because traffic was always moving.

15. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to McMunn For This Useful Post:

No, this was actually the security camera on the AT&T roof. It was there during the time of the murder, but I never had the opportunity to stop and view from that angle for very long, because traffic was always moving.
    Ahh, sorry... I misunderstood. That will be interesting! It'd be awesome to have something concrete.
    Or cool one pain,
    Unto his nest again,
    ~Emily Dickinson~

17. The Following User Says Thank You to southern_comfort For This Useful Post:

Ahh, sorry... I misunderstood. That will be interesting! It'd be awesome to have something concrete.
    Yeah, I probably didn't word that very well in my original post. I actually could see the dumpster from the AT&T side (well, at least from my angle in the road). I pray that they have some good footage from that, and they are saving it for the trial.

Here is a link to the brief the defense filed today regarding the bond:

http://www.13wmaz.com/assetpool/docu...n-for-bond.pdf

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Backwoods For This Useful Post:

I remember that this particular camera has been mentioned before as a possible source of evidence. Let's hope (as I think we did in discussion before) that it was operating and had something of the right vantage point to be helpful. I wonder, too, if it was and does -- but the footage shows nothing toward the state's case -- will we ever know?

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Backwoods For This Useful Post:

Just another little observation about the post Winters read at the bond hearing.

At the very end are the words "you mad virgins". In the courtroom, Winters read this with the intonation that it is almost a bizarrely poetic phrase of address.

But now I'm thinking it was actually a variation of the familiar trolling card, "You mad?" In other words, "You mad, virgins?"

That would sure fit with the claim that irritated posters at the other site were aiming this post largely to taunt WSers, I think.

Maybe some of you saw this right away -- but I didn't. (I obviously am not as 'net-world savvy as, say, my daughter, who probably would have made the connection right away -- I was "hearing" it in the same style Winters presented it.)

24. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Backwoods For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Backwoods View Post
    Just another little observation about the post Winters read at the bond hearing.

At the very end are the words "you mad virgins". In the courtroom, Winters read this with the intonation that it is almost a bizarrely poetic phrase of address.

But now I'm thinking it was actually a variation of the familiar trolling card, "You mad?" In other words, "You mad, virgins?"

That would sure fit with the claim that irritated posters at the other site were aiming this post largely to taunt WSers, I think.

Maybe some of you saw this right away -- but I didn't. (I obviously am not as 'net-world savvy as, say, my daughter, who probably would have made the connection right away -- I was "hearing" it in the same style Winters presented it.)
    I haven't had the slightest idea how to interpret that. I figured it was some sort of slang that I just don't get. That's an interesting perspective. I'll have to think about that.
    Or cool one pain,
    Unto his nest again,
    ~Emily Dickinson~

26. The Following User Says Thank You to southern_comfort For This Useful Post:

Here's a page with info about the phrase "you mad", which claims to be part of a series on LOLspeak/Chanspeak.

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/u-mad

I think I would rather be cleaning my toilet than learning Chanspeak.. lulz.
    Or cool one pain,
    Unto his nest again,
    ~Emily Dickinson~

28. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to southern_comfort For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 52 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast