4/6/12 Navy F/A-18 crashes in Virginia

Good thing they were able to dump that fuel... scary!!

WTKR reporter just said hospital reports 5 civilians admitted.

5 civilians admitted to the hospital, no word on their conditions, from the news link above.

Looks like the fire is out, but that is just moo.

They've moved the media back; reporter saying they do this when they are going to go in and do the hard recovery work... :( The aerial view of the wreckage is just horrible. The man who had one crewmember land in his back yard said he was in shock, and he apologized for crashing into their apartment complex.

They've moved the media back; reporter saying they do this when they are going to go in and do the hard recovery work... :( The aerial view of the wreckage is just horrible. The man who had one crewmember land in his back yard said he was in shock, and he apologized for crashing into their apartment complex.

Prayers sent to all and their loved ones. :(

I don't think it's any secret jets will have mock dog fights for training over the ocean. I support their training, they also have mock combat training with the Canadians. I hope everyone in the apartments will be ok. I'm also not sure this is what the jets were doing for training today.

from WAVY.com

49822-c7dff.jpg

Navy jet crashes into apartments in Virginia

2-member crew ejected before plane crashed

Author: From Michael Martinez and Barbara Starr CNN

Published On: Apr 06 2012 12:49:37 PM EDT Updated On: Apr 06 2012 02:23:02 PM EDT

(CNN) -
A Navy jet crashed Friday into some apartments near Virginia Beach, Virginia, sending flames and thick black smoke into the air, a military spokesman and a witness said.

At least two people were hurt, a hospital spokeswoman said.

The pilot and a person who was on the ground were being treated for injuries, but the nature and extent of those injuries were not immediately clear, the spokeswoman said...

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/...nia/-/1719418/10282874/-/8ii0rnz/-/index.html

I don't think it's any secret jets will have mock dog fights for training over the ocean. I support their training, they also have mock combat training with the Canadians. I hope everyone in the apartments will be ok. I'm also not sure this is what the jets were doing for training today.

I heard on cnn tv that they were practicing landings to mimic landing on aircraft carriers. Dunno if that has been confirmed tho.

Does anyone know what time this happened? I switched to CNN a few minutes before 1:00 after a cooking show, and Breaking News was already in progress.

I hope there won't be serious injuries or fatalities to folks who live in the apartment complex.

April 6, 2012 at 2:07 pm

Navy jet crashes, sets fire to apartment complex in Va., officials say
By Associated Press

Virginia Beach, Va.— A Navy jet crashed and set fire to an apartment complex in Virginia Beach on Friday and the two-member crew ejected safely, officials said.

Officials said at least two apartment buildings were on fire but there were no immediate reports of injuries on the ground. TV footage showed black smoke billowing from near some buildings and local TV stations said the jet hit an apartment building...

From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20120406/NATION/204060418#ixzz1rHrAjwyF

I want to say 12:28, Bette, but can't recall the source...

Does anyone know what time this happened? I switched to CNN a few minutes before 1:00 after a cooking show, and Breaking News was already in progress.

I hope there won't be serious injuries or fatalities to folks who live in the apartment complex.

I first saw it on a blog around 11 am Mountain Time. I don't know when the crash happened.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leannamj
Back