Calif. artist Thomas Kinkade dies at age 54

Gee, that's sad. Rather young for natural causes, altho perhaps he'd been ill.

When I think of his art, I think cottages...trees...water...snow...lights...home.

I got familiar with his work when I cross stitched one of the paintings. I have always enjoyed his work, and he did it with such passion.

God speed, Mr. Kinkade, and thanks for all the joy and peace you've brought millions of people. Now rest in the Joy and Peace of God's heaven...paint the skies for us, all right?

best-
Herding Cats

:angel: :angel:

I am so sorry to learn that he has passed away. His paintings are so

beautiful. I own four different framed scenes of his English cottage prints

with lighting and the beautiful flowers. I treasure them.

He died much too young . :rose: :rose:

Being an art/music lover...I always feel so sad when one of them goes. What would they have done in the future that was not to be...I guess that is selfish. :blush:

Altho of course, that is true of everyone. What would their future have been? :sigh:

Blessings to his family and friends. :heart:

this made me cry when I read it. I totally love his paintings-nothing puts a smile in my heart like looking at his work. he will be missed...RIP, thomas...

April 7, 2012 at 9:57 am

Popular painter Thomas Kinkade dies in Calif.
By John S. Marshall
Associated Press

San Francisco— Artist Thomas Kinkade once said that he had something in common with Walt Disney and Norman Rockwell: He wanted to make people happy.

And he won success with brushwork paintings that focused on idyllic landscapes, cottages and churches — highly popular works that became big sellers for dealers across the United States.

The self-described "Painter of Light," who died Friday at age 54, produced sentimental scenes of country gardens and pastoral landscapes in dewy morning light that were beloved by many but criticized by the art establishment...

From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20120407/ENT01/204070359#ixzz1rMuOEvzW

Absolutely love his works. Wish I had bought the Indian village painting many moons ago. He always paid tribute to his wife somewhere in every painting. Walk with God...you will be missed.

Fell in love with Mr Kincaid and his work after seeing the movie "The Christmas Cottage!" He truly was a Painter of Light! Rest in Peace Mr. Kincade!

This is a real loss for those of us who enjoyed his work. May he rest in peace.

I was shocked and saddened to hear of Mr. Kinkade's death. I always enjoyed his work. I used to love to watch him every time he was on QVC. He will be missed!

I know of no other artist like him - he was truly one of a kind.

RIP Mr. Kinkade.

The world has lost my favorite painter. I love his paintings. Such a shame. Rest In Peace Thomas Kinkade.

While I've never been a fan of his paintings, I've always respected his artistic talent.
He will be missed.

He's a regional local for me, but I had no idea he was only 54! I thought he was at least 20 years older.

I think it's kind of strange that his art never evolved, seems like it started as quaint towns, gardens, and cottages and remained there. They all look the same, to me, but I have to say I admire his work ethic and marketing skills. He certainly made a handsome living doing what he loved-- not easy to do from low priced artistic creations! (I know price is relative, so I say low what I mean is accessible to the average Joe. mo)

Natural causes? Heart attack? Aneurysm? A fast moving cancer? Well, he's gone too soon... 54 is just too early. But knowing him, he's pre-marketed his unreleased work so that the price is driven up because it really IS limited! He thought like that. :)

RIP

(Ahem, I think I know what his version of Heaven looks like...)

...(Ahem, I think I know what his version of Heaven looks like...)

Most respectfully edited :) I haven't gotten as far as Heaven, but my "dream" home in the woods of Northern Michigan would look just like one of Mr. Kinkade's charming little cottages - snow-covered, of course ;)

If I were still teaching, I would have used Thomas Kinkade's paintings for creative writing assignments because I always find myself wondering about the dwellings that he painted, who lived there, the gardens that were planted, streams that flowed nearby. So many stories within those charming abodes that always look so inviting...

(I know he's mass marketed and is too religious for my taste), but I love his use of light and colors and nature scenes- beautiful! I can't afford any of his actual paintings, but I own several of his jigsaw puzzle reproductions( one is framed on my living room wall), screensavers, checks, etc. (the stuff I can afford). 54 is too young to die, he will be missed, ironic that he died right before Easter! RIP Thomas Kinkade.

he had struggled with alcoholism for many years, was separated from his wife, and had been embroiled in multiple lawsuits recently.

it seems that underneath the surface, kinkade was not unlike many a creative soul....equal parts light and dark.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
megalow
Back