Trial Thread 4/13/2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

nursebeeme

Reaction score
New thread for a new day. Please remember the rules

:tos:

When posting an opinion please remember to use IMO or JMO.

the crown will present its case in chapters:

Chapter 1: The day of the kidnapping. The surveillance video showing Rafferty driving up the street outside Tori's school and McClintic walking Tori up the street. Witnesses from and around Oliver Stephens public school will talk about seeing Tori.
An identification officer will use photographs and maps to show the route from Woodstock to Guelph.
Tori's mother, Tara McDonald, will testify about the frantic hours the family spent looking for Tori.

Chapter 2: Terri-Lynne McClintic. "She was an essential part of all that happened," Gowdey said. "I expect her credibility will be a major issue in this case."

Chapter 3: Guelph -- video surveillance and bank records detailing the events there.

Chapter 4: the Mount Forest death scene, which the jury will visit. "It will be difficult to go to the very place where this happened, I know that, but understanding the crime scene is crucial to understanding the crime," Gowdey said. Photographs, some of them graphic, will be used to explain "exactly how the killing happened."
"Unfortunately it is only through them that you can fully understand (the) evidence," Gowdey said.

Chapter 5: Police interaction with Rafferty.

Chapter 6: The searches of Rafferty and McClintic's residences and the evidence found.

Chapter 7: The Honda Civic. What was found inside.

Chapter 8: Rafferty's connection to the Mount Forest area.

Chapter 9: Comments Rafferty made to friends after April 8. "He had some interesting things to say to other people about Terri-Lynne McClintic and about the kidnapping itself," Gowdey said.

Chapter 10: The May 15 weekend and Rafferty's actions.

Chapter 11: The BlackBerry. The BlackBerry allowed police to track his movements April 8 and after.

Chapter 12: A recap of the surveillance video.
http://www.lfpress.com/news/london/r.../19463111.html

Salem's warning from last week:
Okay everybody - LISTEN UP! We are not bashing, accusing or blaming Tori's family here. It won't be allowed.
Children walk home from school every day without incident. Parents are not perfect, it's just not possible. Tori's parents DID NOT do this to her. TLM and an accomplice DID. That is where the blame goes.
We had a lot of family bashing in the early parts of this investigation after Tori went missing and a lot of baseless accusations - NONE OF WHICH PROVED TO BE TRUE. Victim and family bashing will not be allowed during this trial.
Thank you,
Salem
---------------------------------
and reposting SoSueMe's warning:
As some of you may have noticed, the members following this case are dropping in numbers. It's disheartening to us because we need and welcome discussion of both sides of every issue on Websleuths.
Zero tolerance means ZERO tolerance. Please discuss this case with respect to your fellow members. Subtle and veiled harassment and/or talking in code about other members will not be tolerated.
A word of caution on the Alerts in this forum. If you alert a post, make sure it is a clear violation of our Terms of Service. A difference of opinion is not a violation of TOS.
Please note that everything discussed in court and printed/tweeted is now within the realm of discussion. WS has never and does not now have a policy of "innocent until proven guilty." That is for the court room. Here, we discuss, speculate, theorize and judge according to the opinions we develop from following the case.
Keeping that in mind, abuse of our alert system is a good way to find yourself in timeout or worse. Abuse of the alert systems includes, but is not limited to:
Alerting repeatedly on the same poster;
Demanding a specific outcome;
Alerting on the same post more than once.
Once you have alerted a post, move on and don't question the decisions of our Administrators, Moderators or Owners.
Following this trial is very important to our members and we're going to see that they have their day in court. The "zero tolerance" policy in this forum will continue and it will be enforced.
Thank you and please carry on.
Sue aka SoSueMe
Websleuths Co-Owner

Please continue here. It is Friday, the 13th :what:

Salem

Good Morning!

374504_345692732132476_333736336661449_888217_1719318697_n.jpg

Christie Blatchford: Michael Rafferty’s rather quick recovery from witnessing horrifying Tori Stafford murder

LONDON, Ont. — For a fellow who was purportedly “horrified” when Terri-Lynne McClintic first abducted and then abruptly killed a little Woodstock, Ont., girl in the spring of 2009, Michael Rafferty appears to have pulled himself together rather quickly.

Indeed, Mr. Rafferty did what any man who had just watched a shocking child murder might do: He went onto a dating website called Plenty of Fish and proceeded to become involved with no fewer than two women.

The suggestion that Mr. Rafferty, now 31, was aghast when McClintic purportedly killed the eight-year-old came from his lawyer, Dirk Derstine, during his cross-examination of McClintic last month.

http://fullcomment.nationalpost.com...m-witnessing-horrifying-tori-stafford-murder/

bbm

Another quote from above link:

“I’m going to suggest to you that Mr. Rafferty came back [to the car] after the death, was horrified, but helped you clean up. You can agree or disagree with that,” Mr. Derstine told McClintic, who vehemently disagreed.

Proof that the defence put his client at the crime scene. Direct quote from Mr. Derstine himself.

I wonder if they are skipping over Chapter 8 because of scheduling issues and will return to it later on?

I wonder if they are skipping over Chapter 8 because of scheduling issues and will return to it later on?

Good point. I hadn't even noticed that until you pointed it out. hmmmmm

I wonder if there was something that the defense objected to when they had that "legal issues" day?

It's too bad if they skip over it because this would've added another big piece to their case and nail to his coffin.

Just thought of something, perhaps it wasn't necessary for them to do the connection to the Mt. Forest Chapter because his attorney already admitted the accused child killer was there.:twocents:

Just thought of something, perhaps it wasn't necessary for them to do the connection to the Mt. Forest Chapter because his attorney already admitted the accused child killer was there.:twocents:

Maybe it was Miss Lane who already mentioned him living in Drayton with relatives when he was in grade school? IDK:waitasec:

That could be, the Crown didn't know that the defence was going to admitt that MTR was at the crime sceme until after opening statements.

I still hope they don't skip it, I was wondering if it could provide some answers about where TLM and MTR between when they left the crime scene and when they got back to Woodstock.

Good point. I hadn't even noticed that until you pointed it out. hmmmmm

I wonder if there was something that the defense objected to when they had that "legal issues" day?

It's too bad if they skip over it because this would've added another big piece to their case and nail to his coffin.

I doubt that the crown will just omit this section; I am expecting it was moved for good reason and that section will have just as much impact as yesterday's testimony.:twocents:

Well if his only "connection" is that he lived in Drayton during his preteen years then I would skip it because that's stretching it. But to devote an entire chapter to it, I would hope there is a lot more info...like jobs held etc. And it is important to establish that TLM did not "direct" MR to the rural property but rather MR drove directly to it out of Guelph and knew where it was and why he was taking Victoria there.

MOO

ETA: I guess it's possible that the people who live in Drayton, a very small town, spend a lot of time in Mt Forest which is a little bigger to do shopping etc rather than going into the larger city of Guelph. And his Aunt and Uncle may have taken him there often and they may have known people from Mt Forest that they visited with regularily. Lots of farmers in that area and I would imagine they get together for farm related fairs, auctions etc.

Rafferty trial shifts to new chapter

A new chapter in the Crown's case against Michael Rafferty is set to begin Friday in a London courtroom – what the accused said to friends after disappearance of Victoria 'Tori' Stafford.

“He had some interesting things to say to other people about Terri-Lynne McClintic, about the kidnapping itself,” Crown Attorney Kevin Gowdey told jurors in his opening remarks.

The Crown finished Thursday what it called the car chapter, which examined evidence found in Rafferty's 2003 Honda Civic.

http://www.lfpress.com/news/london/raffertytrial/2012/04/13/19628261.html

Mike Knoll: Here's a clip from today's story:

"We did talk one time about abducting kids and how they take the kids and make them be like their own," ex-girlfriend Sarah Hodge, 31, testified, elaborating a few seconds later, "how people take their kids and abduct them and they just grow up thinking that they're their real parents."

Rafferty was obsessed with the Stafford case, testified Hodge, who said she started dating him April 14, 2009, six days after Tori disappeared while walking home from her Woodstock school.

http://www.lfpress.com/news/london/raffertytrial/2012/04/13/19628261.html

9:13
Mike Knoll: @Guest - you'll need to contact the courts following the trial.
9:13
Comment From Guest
Will the full transcript from the trial ever become available?

Mike Knoll: @lev - the defence didn't make an opening by choice - it's entirely optional. This could be seen as a tactical move.

Comment From lev
that's interesting that the Defence doesn't make an opening statement..do you have historical information on this...is it just a British based process....do they both get closing statements; so many of us watch too much American tv..

@Carol - most days both parents are there. Here and there they will miss. There is always someone from Tori's family in court.

Comment From Carol
Are Tori's parents still attending daily?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie