1067 users online (215 members and 852 guests)  

Websleuths News

KS - Fire crews stage emotional rescue of Taz, the dog trapped in a Wichita creek

Wichita fire crews stage dramatic rescue to save trapped dog in creek (Wichita Eagle)
    The rescue of Taz the dog from floodwaters on Thursday encompassed despair, scuba gear, tears of grief, concrete saws, tears of joy, sledge hammers, about 20 of Wichita’s most highly trained heavy rescue firefighters, eight fire trucks, goodness knows how many tax dollars, and two news conferences.
    ---
    Firefighters carried out one of the most dramatic rescues in recent memory. It started about 10:30 a.m. when John Huy, 79, a retired aviation engineer, took a walk in the rain with Taz, a 6-year-old mutt that Huy describes as “part pit, part lab, and part I-don’t-know-what.”
    ---
    But after a long time, and under the gaze of news cameras, [Captain Michael] Wells called a news conference, to tell the somber news: Taz had disappeared, possibly never to be found.
    ---
    [Then, the] news conference was interrupted when firefighter Larry Inlow saw, through a tiny hole in concrete, the wet nostrils of a dog trying desperately to stay alive.
    ---
    the whole lengthy story with the happy ending at link above
    Last edited by wfgodot; 04-12-2012 at 10:14 PM. Reason: editing narrative content, dammit

Even though, frightened by the roar of concrete-cutting saws, Taz did nip a scuba diver, he later gave a 'thank you' smooch to rescue Fire Captain Wells.

http://media.kansas.com/smedia/2012/...un.SlMa.80.jpg

A great story. Kudos to everyone who helped with the rescue. Thanks for posting this
    "Life is life's greatest gift. Guard the life of another creature as you would your own because it is your own. On life's scale of values, the smallest is no less precious to the creature who owns it than the largest..." Lloyd Biggle, Jr.

Let's bring Michelle Parker home: http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...ichelle+parker

All statements made by me are based on my opinion.

I'm so glad the dog was saved even if it did take a great deal of effort. It would destroy me if anything bad ever happened to any of my 4 dogs. I get scared to even let them swim for fear they will go out too far and get tired. I put a life vest on them when they jump off the diving board or go in deep water.

Stories like this, I don't know - they seem to redeem a world that too often seems to have gone mad and lost its way.

In spite of the daily horrors, humankind is basically good; were it not, we would have ceased to exist long ago.