KS - Fire crews stage emotional rescue of Taz, the dog trapped in a Wichita creek

wfgodot

Former Member
Reaction score
Wichita fire crews stage dramatic rescue to save trapped dog in creek (Wichita Eagle)
The rescue of Taz the dog from floodwaters on Thursday encompassed despair, scuba gear, tears of grief, concrete saws, tears of joy, sledge hammers, about 20 of Wichita’s most highly trained heavy rescue firefighters, eight fire trucks, goodness knows how many tax dollars, and two news conferences.
---
Firefighters carried out one of the most dramatic rescues in recent memory. It started about 10:30 a.m. when John Huy, 79, a retired aviation engineer, took a walk in the rain with Taz, a 6-year-old mutt that Huy describes as “part pit, part lab, and part I-don’t-know-what.”
---
But after a long time, and under the gaze of news cameras, [Captain Michael] Wells called a news conference, to tell the somber news: Taz had disappeared, possibly never to be found.
---
[Then, the] news conference was interrupted when firefighter Larry Inlow saw, through a tiny hole in concrete, the wet nostrils of a dog trying desperately to stay alive.
---
the whole lengthy story with the happy ending at link above

A great story. Kudos to everyone who helped with the rescue. Thanks for posting this :)

I'm so glad the dog was saved even if it did take a great deal of effort. It would destroy me if anything bad ever happened to any of my 4 dogs. I get scared to even let them swim for fear they will go out too far and get tired. I put a life vest on them when they jump off the diving board or go in deep water.

Stories like this, I don't know - they seem to redeem a world that too often seems to have gone mad and lost its way.

In spite of the daily horrors, humankind is basically good; were it not, we would have ceased to exist long ago.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back