Riding for a fall: Pair with ALS set to skydive

LinasK

Verified insider- Mark Dribin case
Reaction score
By Bruce Newman

bnewman@mercurynews.com

Posted: 04/12/2012 03:07:47 PM PDT
Updated: 04/12/2012 09:30:08 PM PDTThe size of Gloria Hale and Juri Kameda's worlds began to shrivel the day each woman got her diagnosis of ALS. Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis -- often referred to as Lou Gehrig's disease -- withered their bodies, but left their hearts and minds intact.
Hale, 53, saw the circumference of the earth contracting to the four walls of her San Jose home. Then she had an idea how to redirect the progression of her disease, how to slow the certain death that seemed to be rushing toward her. Hale decided it was a perfect time to go sky diving with her friend Juri.
How did this sound, she asked her friend: They would hurl the bodies that have betrayed them -- have left them, in a sense -- out of an airplane from nearly two miles high, free fall at 115 mph for more than a minute, then parachute to a graceful landing near their wheelchairs. They would be the Thelma and Louise of progressive neurodegenerative disease. If possible, without the splat at the end.
On Saturday morning, Kameda and Hale will prove that, even when you're falling 169 feet per second, it's the human spirit that soars. With eight other jumpers -- and in tandem with instructors from Skydance Skydiving in Davis -- they will bring their bodies along for the ride. The two hope to raise money for ALS research, raise awareness of the disease and regain mastery over their fates. more at link: http://www.contracostatimes.com/bay...ding-fall-alss-thelma-and-louise-go-skydiving

:rocker: I LOVE this! :woohoo:

Way to Go, Gloria and Juri, enjoy the ride.

By Bruce Newman

bnewman@mercurynews.com

Posted: 04/12/2012 03:07:47 PM PDT
Updated: 04/12/2012 09:30:08 PM PDTThe size of Gloria Hale and Juri Kameda's worlds began to shrivel the day each woman got her diagnosis of ALS. Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis -- often referred to as Lou Gehrig's disease -- withered their bodies, but left their hearts and minds intact.
Hale, 53, saw the circumference of the earth contracting to the four walls of her San Jose home. Then she had an idea how to redirect the progression of her disease, how to slow the certain death that seemed to be rushing toward her. Hale decided it was a perfect time to go sky diving with her friend Juri.
How did this sound, she asked her friend: They would hurl the bodies that have betrayed them -- have left them, in a sense -- out of an airplane from nearly two miles high, free fall at 115 mph for more than a minute, then parachute to a graceful landing near their wheelchairs. They would be the Thelma and Louise of progressive neurodegenerative disease. If possible, without the splat at the end.
On Saturday morning, Kameda and Hale will prove that, even when you're falling 169 feet per second, it's the human spirit that soars. With eight other jumpers -- and in tandem with instructors from Skydance Skydiving in Davis -- they will bring their bodies along for the ride. The two hope to raise money for ALS research, raise awareness of the disease and regain mastery over their fates. more at link: http://www.contracostatimes.com/bay...ding-fall-alss-thelma-and-louise-go-skydiving

LinasK,
Thank you so much for posting this.

This awful monster of a disease took DH. I don't mean to imply other terminal illnesses are easier or kinder. This one just hit our life. So I am more aware.

I smiled through tears reading the article.

I helped one man, with MS (late stage), to go skydiving. It was the most amazing thing he'd ever experienced, and I was so proud of him. He ended up jumping 4 times before he passed away, and at the funeral, there was a photo of him grinning, in freefall.

For all those who dare to take the risk to skydive, it is the most amazing thing. I am more than proud of these women for bringing light to their illness by taking flight...go, you two, fly!

Best-
Herding Cats

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Greer∆