GUILTY TX - Vanessa Clark charged after 2nd baby dies while co-sleeping, Lufkin, 9 July 2010

from the first link

Vanessa Clark burst into tears as a guilty verdict was read aloud. Angelina County jurors decided she endangered her newborn son by putting him to sleep in the same bed and her and then-husband Mark Clark

The prosecution argued Clark was reckless to allow Tristan to even sleep in the bed after the death of another infant. Another son died under similar circumstances less than a year before.

This is on NG now. They are saying the mother had taken pills, including Vicodin, before bed that night.

Once more, the dangers of co-sleeping. Could have happened with or without the Vicodin. I wish they would make this really bad judgment call illegal, across the board.

IMO this is so odd to have not one but two babies die in the bed with her. It is really hinky to me. Co-sleeping deaths are pretty rare, even though the ones that do happen are usually highly publicized. AND after reading both articles I really look for this to be overturned on appeal.

This is what a leading parenting website has to say about co-sleeping "Decreases risk of Sudden Infant Death Syndrome
Worldwide research shows that the SIDS rate is lowest (and even unheard of) in countries where co-sleeping is the norm, rather than the exception. Further research shows that the carbon dioxide exhaled by a parent actually works to stimulate baby’s breathing." AND "Safer than crib sleeping
The Consumer Product Safety Commission published data that described infant fatalities in adult beds. These same data, however, showed more than 3 times as many crib related infant fatalities compared to adult bed accidents" http://www.askdrsears.com/topics/sleep-problems/scientific-benefits-co-sleeping

Despite the possible pros, the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) warns parents not to place their infants to sleep in adult beds, stating that the practice puts babies at risk of suffocation and strangulation. The American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) recommends the practice of room-sharing with parents without bed-sharing. The practice of room-sharing according to the AAP is a way to reduce the risk of sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS).

Cosleeping is a widespread practice in many non-Western cultures. However, differences in mattresses, bedding, and other cultural practices may account for the lower risk in these countries as compared with the United States.

According to the CPSC, at least 515 deaths were linked to infants and toddlers under 2 years of age sleeping in adult beds from January 1990 to December 1997:

121 of the deaths were attributed to a parent, caregiver, or sibling rolling on top of or against a baby while sleeping
more than 75% of the deaths involved infants younger than 3 months old
http://kidshealth.org/parent/general/sleep/cosleeping.html

That doesn't seem all that rare to me, and I don't recall much publicity.

Despite the possible pros, the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) warns parents not to place their infants to sleep in adult beds, stating that the practice puts babies at risk of suffocation and strangulation. The American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) recommends the practice of room-sharing with parents without bed-sharing. The practice of room-sharing according to the AAP is a way to reduce the risk of sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS).

Cosleeping is a widespread practice in many non-Western cultures. However, differences in mattresses, bedding, and other cultural practices may account for the lower risk in these countries as compared with the United States.

According to the CPSC, at least 515 deaths were linked to infants and toddlers under 2 years of age sleeping in adult beds from January 1990 to December 1997:

121 of the deaths were attributed to a parent, caregiver, or sibling rolling on top of or against a baby while sleeping
more than 75% of the deaths involved infants younger than 3 months old
http://kidshealth.org/parent/general/sleep/cosleeping.html

That doesn't seem all that rare to me, and I don't recall much publicity.

I co slept with mine ,not everyday but often. I dont think I have meet one parent who hasnt co slept at least a few nights. I wont assume every parent has but even if a third of the parents in the usa have that makes the risk seem very small for just the issue of co sleeping. Plus the SIDS rates in the usa are about 2,5000 babies a year in the U.S according to this link.http://sids.org/index.htm

121 due to the actual co sleeping ,and the 515 total of babies whom SIDS may have been related to co sleeping seems rare in the 7 years they did that report for. MOo.

Well, now you've met a mother of five that has never and will never co-sleep.

Once more, the dangers of co-sleeping. Could have happened with or without the Vicodin. I wish they would make this really bad judgment call illegal, across the board.

The dangers of stupid parenting by taking sedating drugs and then keeping your kid too close! People with common sense know how to co sleep safely.http://www.phdinparenting.com/2009/01/11/co-sleeping-safety/
People without it end up like this woman. Whyyyyyy has her second baby ended up sadly losing its life? Was she taking sedating drugs with the first one too? Something isn't right here for sure.
It is possible this could have happened anywhere.....depends on the cause of death though of course.
Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrsrb10
Back