Thread: UK Tunbridge Wells, Police digging up garden looking for body

UK Tunbridge Wells, Police digging up garden looking for body

This is an odd one and I will be very interested in how it pans out

"Detectives hunting for the human remains of a young woman who may have disappeared more than 50 years ago today began excavating a suburban garden.

Acting on a tip-off, forensics officers are investigating whether the unnamed woman is buried at a property on a quiet street in Tunbridge Wells, Kent.

It is thought that she may have been the victim of a crime committed in the 1950s, which the authorities at the time did not know had taken place."

Daily Mail, more at link
    England's dancing days are done...

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to badhorsie For This Useful Post:

UK Tunbridge Wells, Police digging up garden looking for body

Duplicate post
    Last edited by badhorsie; 04-16-2012 at 06:16 PM.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to badhorsie For This Useful Post:

Detectives were secretive about the source of the tip-off but a spokesman for Kent Police confirmed it does not relate to any other past or current cases. (from DM link above)
    So what are we thinking here - deathbed confession perhaps?

ITV adds not much, but DM suggested, though did not report directly, this:
    It follows reports of a crime committed at the house in Rankine Road in the 1950s.
    BBC video at link.

ETA
    bolded portion of quote of info which has, so far, appeared only in the ITV report
    Last edited by wfgodot; 04-16-2012 at 06:32 PM.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to wfgodot For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by wfgodot View Post
    So what are we thinking here - deathbed confession perhaps?

ITV adds not much, but DM suggested, though did not report directly, this:

BBC video at link.

ETA
    bolded portion of quote of info which has, so far, appeared only in the ITV report
    Deathbed confession was my first thought as well, wfgodot. Interesting.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to lonetraveler For This Useful Post:

BBC video's interesting. First interviewed, who lived in the residence as a boy, seems to think there's nothing to it. A bit of a jumpy character - used term "final curtain."

Rankine Rd looks like it has twelve residences addressed on it, just a short swing-off of a street, connecting Oak to Caley Roads on the Sherwood estate.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to wfgodot For This Useful Post:

The Sun adds a bit to the info I'd seen:
    ---
    Neighbours said the garden once had a pond, which was filled in with gravel.
    ---
    [Police] were told that the woman was called Laura.
    ---

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to wfgodot For This Useful Post:

I am so intrigued by this mystery. Tunbridge Wells has always been portrayed as a place where nothing bad or scandalous would happen. A "Laura" missing in the 50's? Surely there's a record of that.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to STEADFAST For This Useful Post:

I have never heard of nothing much happening there, I remember we would always drive to go shopping there. I'm intrigued about this story

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jezbel For This Useful Post:

One of Mr Newell’s children, Linda Paintain, 58, told the Daily Mail last night that her sister Carol Pennells, 66, went to the police claiming that her father and a group of friends had been involved in the death of a young woman named only as Laura. But Mrs Paintain and another sibling insist their sister is mistaken.

Her brother John Newell, 50, who lives opposite the house being searched, said: ‘The police are wasting their time. There is no body. My sister has done this type of thing before.’

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz1sG9XLaSA

hm, makes me think that the sister who went to the police might have a personality disorder and/or history of mental illness ... I hope she hasn't disrupted lives on a whim

if she's 66 now, she would've been born in 1948? is that correct? so, she could've witnessed something traumatic as a child that her younger siblings don't have any knowledge of ...

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to LadyL For This Useful Post:

Jenny Baker told the BBC she contacted police on behalf of her mother, who once lived in the property with her aunts.
    "The girl that we believe is buried in the garden is a girl by the name of Laura," she said.

"We don't know if it is her proper name. They all know the same story of how they heard screaming, how the girl was introduced and how she disappeared as quickly as she was introduced.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-kent-17725156

"How the girl was introduced"???? What's that supposed to mean?

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to STEADFAST For This Useful Post:

Might appear the Kent and Essex Serious Crime Directorate may have fallen for one of those perhaps well-intended but false "recovered memory" tales.

For their sake I hope not.

I took it to mean the girl was "introduced" as Laura though that may not have been her real name. (If indeed there was a girl and a killing and a body buried in the first place of course.)

We shall see.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to wfgodot For This Useful Post:

My first staff nurse position was near Tunbridge Wells and it is a very respectable town, packed with tea rooms and very well heeled women of a certain age.
    "Disgusted of Tunbridge Wells" is a jokey way of referring to retired colonel types who write to the Telegraph complaining of the youth of today.

I don't know what to think of this one. Why would someone say this if it weren't true? If she is psychotic, surely the police would investigate further without disrupting a family home. If no remains are not found she could find herself prosecuted and with a hefty bill for wasting police time.

Weirdness all round

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to badhorsie For This Useful Post:

Much ado about nothing, apparently:

Police dig in Tunbridge Wells fails to find human remains (kentonline.co.uk)
    A police dig of a garden after reports human remains might be buried there has found nothing.
    ---
    Forensic teams completed the probe of the back garden this morning - and revealed their efforts have been fruitless.
    ---
    "I would very much like to thank the local residents from Rankine Road and the surrounding area, for their co-operation and patience while we carried out this essential investigative work' [DI Lee Whitehead of the Kent and Essex Serious Crime Directorate] said.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to wfgodot For This Useful Post: