1036 users online (194 members and 842 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Canada - Shirley Burstall, 75, Ladysmith BC, 5 Apr 2012

The family of a 75-year-old Saanich woman missing since April 5 is holding out hope she’ll be found alive.

Shirley Burstall, a healthy and active senior who loved to travel, told her daughter she was heading to Tofino 12 days ago and hasn’t been heard from since.

Read more: http://www.timescolonist.com/Family+...#ixzz1sHLIUaGW

Description: 5'7" with short brown hair and a medium build; last account activity at a gas station in Ladysmith on April 5th.

Her car is also missing, four-door 2002 Silver Mazda Protege with license plate 287 CFG.

Worrisome - hope she is found safe and sound! I remember the case with Rita Chretien being found just in time, and hope for a good outcome for Shirley also!

PS - This is my first time starting a thread, let me know if I'm not doing it right

Article from a different source:

http://www.saanichnews.com/news/147666235.html

Saanich police Sgt. Dean Jantzen says the family filed a missing persons report on Wednesday, April 11, nearly a week after they had last heard from her.

"It's a bit of a mystery right now. We had a helicopter up (Sunday) for five hours searching the roadways," Jantzen said. "There was a mention that she may have been thinking about going out to Tofino, Ucluelet, so that roadway was searched. … But she could've (also) gone (north) towards Parksville ... or somewhere else."

http://bcove.me/qc3r3fbw

Very good video segment from local CHEK News. Lots of pictures - the one being circulated doesn't do her justice, she appears to be a really vibrant and lovely lady.

Also shows surveillance of her car at the gas station and mentions no cell phone activity. There's lots of lonely and dangerous road on this island, hoping someone has seen something! Seems like the local media is disseminating information well though.

Hoping she is found safe and soon!

Interesting comment on a FB post by N.J. on Monday at 1109pm west coast time.... The poster lives in Duncan. The FB thread is public, so I believe I'm allowed to link to it and paraphrase?

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

Another comment also mentions that Shirley has a quiet raspy voice due to thyroid cancer. (But obviously this is FB and not MSM.) Many people commenting on accidents along the road to Tofino in the recent past.

A more recent comment says that she may have been spotted at Black Rock resort in Ucluelet? (By an L.R. yesterday.) Again, I take it with a grain of salt as FB is notoriously unreliable and an easy place for rumors to start. But there's nothing new in MSM and I so want this lady to be found safely!

An accident sounds most likely and there are no shortage of dangerous roads between Ladysmith and Tofino. So, I'm trying to figure out the most likely time window and places where Shirley may have had an accident.

If she filled up with gas in Ladysmith on Apr 5, and if we presume that she was on her way north toward Nanaimo, it wouldn't have taken her long to get there. It's a very straightforward route.

She could have hung around Nanaimo for the day, but there is no record of her staying in the area that night, so, I presume that she continued on. She could have continued north up the east coast of the island toward Campbell River, or, more likely, cut across the island towards Tofino, on the west coast.

The drive from Nanaimo to Tofino takes approximately 3 hours on a winding, heavily forested road, with many elevation changes. The only major town along the way is Port Alberni, about half way. I saw this posted on a Tofino website:

The Port Alberni Highway is very windy, and can be treacherous with snow and ice in the winter months. Make sure to check the weather forecast, and bring chains if you are driving in the winter months. The drive is about 1.5 hours without stops.
    It would be easy for a car to go off the road and not be visible from the air or by other drivers passing by.

According to the weather archives, the weather on Apr 5 and 6 was clear. The temperature ranged from a low of 0 C (i.e. 32 F) up to around 10 C. It seemed a bit gusty on Apr 6. All in all it sounds like driving conditions wouldn't have been bad. If driving in the early morning, it's conceivable that there could have been a few slippery spots, due to the many micro climates in the area due to the terrain.

I have two questions: What time of day did Shirley fill up with gas on the 5th? (I might have to go back and watch the video from the gas station to see if there was a time stamp on it.)

And, second, what is cell phone reception like? I presume there are areas where there isn't any reception.

Hoping Shirley is found safe soon!
    Any man's death diminishes me,
    Because I am involved in mankind,
    Therefore, send not to know, for whom the bell tolls;
    It tolls for thee.
    ~John Dunne

#TeamCivilization

I was on that road as far as Port Alberni last year and there are some hairpin turns and steep areas along Cameron Lake. It is only two lane and passing lanes don't come along very often so traffic can back up.
    Haven't been to Tofino for many years, but as Snoopster said, it can be a very difficult drive and all along that road is more prone to snow and fog than Victoria area where she lives.

Thread on the local reddit from a user who states she is Shirley's niece:

http://www.reddit.com/r/VictoriaBC/c..._up_to_tofino/

No new info though The poster seems hopeful that Shirley's travel savvy means she is safe.

Search continues for missing Saanich woman http://www.ctvvancouverisland.ca/201...saanich-woman/

New tidbits (some from the video included in the link):

- Reported sightings in Ucluelet, nothing officially confirmed, police have interviewed resort employees who were "8 & 1/2 out of 9" sure they saw Shirley
    - Shirley left after an argument with her husband, who "woke up to an empty house April 1st"
    - No red flags in her medical history or indications of suicide
    - Bumper sticker on the back of her car that says "I love Alberta Beef", like this one:

Last edited by pharmchick; 04-20-2012 at 04:03 AM. Reason: Adding new info.

That highway to Ukey and Tofino is a fairly dangerous one.

Hopefully this ends well.

Still no sign of Shirley?

There have been apparent sightings of her in Ucluelet (very small town near Tofino, on the west coast of Vancouver Island, for those not familiar). Check out this video, which includes interviews with two people who believe they saw Shirley:

http://www.ctvvancouverisland.ca/201...rley-burstall/

The trouble I have with this is, if it is her, where is she staying? How is she paying for her accommodation?

I know this is a longshot, but the BC RCMP just arrested someone yesterday for the murder of two women in Duncan BC (Tyeshia Jones and Karrie Stone - both with threads here on WS). This is not very far from where Shirley was last known to stay (Chemainus). The two victims were very different (an 18 year old native teen and a 42 year old Caucasian woman). Both of them disappeared close to the Trans-Canada Hwy, which is the main highway through that area, and the place where Shirley was last seen filling up in Ladysmith. In contrast to these two cases though, where the victims were likely walking, Shirley's car has not been located. I sure hope she is hanging around the Ucluelet area, far from Duncan!
    It tolls for thee.
    ~John Dunne

#TeamCivilization

I'm surprised that Shirley wouldn't have made contact with her daughter if she was actually in Ucluelet, especially as Shirley was apparently talking to her from 1 to 4 April after she left Victoria and was staying in Chemainus.
    Shirley was reported missing over 10 days agoand hasn't had contact with family since the 5th - that's quite a long time.
    Did she have an argument with her daughter as well as her husband and isn't talking to either one??
    Wonder if she has friends in Ucluelet/Tofino area.

http://www.oakbaynews.com/news/148753475.html

An extensive search at the base of Mount Washington continued Tuesday morning after the vehicle of missing 75-year-old Saanich woman Shirley Burstall was found late Monday afternoon.

They don't know how long her car has been abandoned there.

This area is nowhere near Tofino and a very unlikely place for Shirley to be. There is nowhere to hike in the area at the base of the mountain and tons of logging going on. There is an area to park your car and get a ride up the mountain but that would only be for skiing at this time of yea, certainly no hiking.

Quote Originally Posted by taagean View Post
    This area is nowhere near Tofino and a very unlikely place for Shirley to be. There is nowhere to hike in the area at the base of the mountain and tons of logging going on. There is an area to park your car and get a ride up the mountain but that would only be for skiing at this time of yea, certainly no hiking.
    It looks like this is about an hour and a half or two hours drive from Ladysmith, where Shirley was last seen. Does that sound about right?

So why would her car be here? Where could Shirley be??

"Mount Washington is located 25 km west of the Comox Valley, 50 km south of Campbell River and 100 km north of Nanaimo, on Vancouver Island."

I hope she hasn't done something to herself, and, I hope no one else has done anything to her.

Is anyone here familiar with this area? I understand that it is a ski resort and a logging area, but is there anything else we should know about the area?
    It tolls for thee.
    ~John Dunne

#TeamCivilization

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast