Levon Helm, 71, only American in the Band, dies

I didn't recognize the name, but I definitely recognize the music.

God bless Mr. Helm may his final journey be a peaceful one.

I hate to hear that.

A musician friend knows Levon - mainly as a fan - and told me the other day he was almost gone. My friend is really bummed about it; Mr Helm is a great musician and a great guy.

Levon Helm, key member of The Band, dies at 71 (Daily Oklahoman/AP)
ALBANY, N.Y. (AP) — With songs like "The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down," ''The Weight" and "Up on Cripple Creek," The Band fused rock, blues, folk and gospel to create a sound that seemed as authentically American as a Mathew Brady photograph or a Mark Twain short story.

In truth, the group had only one American — Levon Helm.

Helm, the drummer and singer who brought an urgent beat and a genuine Arkansas twang to some of The Band's best-known songs and helped turn a bunch of musicians known mostly as Bob Dylan's backup group into one of rock's most legendary acts, has died. He was 71.

Helm, who was found to have throat cancer in 1998, died Thursday afternoon of complications from cancer at Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center in New York City, said Lucy Sabini of Vanguard Records.
---

His death feels very personal for me. I remember listening to his voice and his music for as long as I have loved music. His voice gives me one of those soul smiles...his music lives on.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDnlU6rPfwY"]The Band, Up On Cripple Creek - YouTube[/ame]

Rest in Peace. My Dad took me to see The Last Waltz when it came out. He was a big fan of theirs.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11Y987Uf1wY"]The Band- Don't Do It - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHy_XeBMagU"]Rag Mama Rag - The Band (The Band 2 of 12) - YouTube[/ame]

Talent like Mr. Helm's comes once in a lifetime for sure.

Blessed I was to see him on tour last year for "Dirt Farmer" with his daughter Amy jamming her little pants off. This phenomenal man couldn't have weighed more than 120 pounds. He looked so frail behind his drum kit. The music started and it was clear Levon Helm was gonna give a show.

Double Blessed my Uncle took me as a child to see The Band before I knew what was what.

Last year they did one of my fave Ledbelly tunes. Not sure how good this clip is, but in person here we were up dancing all bourgie.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zoV-hZe32DY"]Levon Helm Band "Bourgeois Blues" - YouTube[/ame]

Carry on Levon and keep thanks for Amy with Ollabelle.

band.jpg

Hard to believe that I was in that crowd.

The last time the Band ever played together was in Los Angeles at the Roxy on March 1st, 1978. It was a Rick Danko show and they came out as special guests and played a few songs together. It was actually so they could film a few more scenes for the Last Waltz, which came out later that year. I remember it was a rainy Wednesday night and I had already made plans to go. I went and saw Rick Danko anytime he played in L.A. I was a big fan. Apparently it didn't look like the show would be well attended so the radio station I was listening to made an announcement about the show, saying that you should go because there will be a special surprise. That didn't even draw that many people because when we got there we found a table right at the front. Rick came out and played a few songs and then announced his guests. The rest of the Band came out and I thought I had died and gone to heaven. I was sitting right at Robbie Robertson's feet. I will never forget. They played a few songs and everyone went crazy. They never played together in their entirety again, although they did regroup and play some shows as the Band, Robbie Robertson never played with the other four.
I will never forget being so close to them as they played. RIP Levon, you made many people happy for years. Sadly, Rick Danko and Richard Emanuel passed away years ago. I am sure they are welcoming him back in the Band right now.

In case for anyone who is interested that knows The Band's music, but not exactly who Mr. Helm is there's a neat tidbit.

The song by Elton John and Bernie Taupin where the verse almost I am sure half the free world knows or sings ".....and Jesus he wants to go to Venus, leave Levon far behind". They used that name for Mr. Helm.

Somewhere out there is an omage to Elton as well I think too via Levon.

I remember wondering if Elton John would name his son Levon?

band.jpg

Hard to believe that I was in that crowd.

The last time the Band ever played together was in Los Angeles at the Roxy on March 1st, 1978. It was a Rick Danko show and they came out as special guests and played a few songs together. It was actually so they could film a few more scenes for the Last Waltz, which came out later that year. I remember it was a rainy Wednesday night and I had already made plans to go. I went and saw Rick Danko anytime he played in L.A. I was a big fan. Apparently it didn't look like the show would be well attended so the radio station I was listening to made an announcement about the show, saying that you should go because there will be a special surprise. That didn't even draw that many people because when we got there we found a table right at the front. Rick came out and played a few songs and then announced his guests. The rest of the Band came out and I thought I had died and gone to heaven. I was sitting right at Robbie Robertson's feet. I will never forget. They played a few songs and everyone went crazy. They never played together in their entirety again, although they did regroup and play some shows as the Band, Robbie Robertson never played with the other four.
I will never forget being so close to them as they played. RIP Levon, you made many people happy for years. Sadly, Rick Danko and Richard Emanuel passed away years ago. I am sure they are welcoming him back in the Band right now.

Wow!

Sister you did go to heaven.

DairyGirl thank you for sharing. Beautiful, historic memory.

Really sad...I LOVE The Band. I thought they were one of the coolest and best groups ever.

Don't forget Ophelia...one of my favs.

RIP Levon.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RjqcTsxx-8"]The Band, Ophelia - YouTube[/ame]

I am familiar with Robbie Robertson and his Indian music Music for The Native Americans; his new CD How to Become Clairvoyant is good. I'll listen to Levon with the clips posted here and also on Youtube.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xa0uuNBxa6Q&feature=related"]robbie robertson - ghost dance - YouTube[/ame]

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrsrb10
Back