Elderly Man Reacts To Music From His Era

spamelope

Reaction score
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKDXuCE7LeQ"]Old Man In Nursing Home Reacts To Hearing Music From His Era - YouTube[/ame]

You're welcome! I'm glad you liked it. It's amazing how music has so much power over us. You literally watch that man come back to life. It reminded me of a song called "Hello In There." That always makes me cry, too.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJ85Hep0kD0"]john prine...hello in there.. - YouTube[/ame]

I love it! I work with the elderly and I find this amazing. I am going to suggest it to the therapists.

I do this regularly with my residents and I'm just amazed at how music brings their soul to life. I have been the benefactor as well because I have been turned on to and now have a great collection of some of the greatest R&B artists that I never even knew existed...Howlin' Wolf, Willie Dixon, WC Handy just to name a few.

I just love the gentleman in this video, he reminds me so much of a coupe of my residents.

Powerful stuff, music is. So many people underestimate it's force, it's effect. And yet, when you watch Henry, you see how much it touches the deepest part of the person, makes them, as Henry said, "feel holy."

I will remember this...thanks, Spamelope. Great find, great post...

Best-
Herding Cats

I saw headlines just the other day that they've found that Alzheimer patients can respond well to the music from their younger days.

That was amazing to watch! Happy to see that there is hope for "music therapy" - I've always thought music could be healing - let's hope others will try this too!

Wow.

And when he starts singing "I'll be home for Christmas", I burst into tears. Absolutely beautiful.

My husband has brought several Cd music discs to the nursing home, when he visits his sister. All are 30's -60's country music. The residents love them! They always look forward to his next visit, and what he will bring..
This is a great video! Thank you for sharing!

I have experienced this myself. Some years ago when I had more time, I volunteered at the local nursing home. I volunteered to play the piano for the residents. I was advised that the majority of the residents were basically non-reactive to anything and it probably wouldn't be a good idea, but they were willing to allow me to try it one time. There was only one resident in the lunchroom with me when I began, as the only piano was in the lunchroom back in the corner. I had some sheet music with me from the early 20's/30's/40's and began playing all the songs I remember my grandpap singing to me as a young child -- and within a matter of 10 minutes or less, I had a room full of otherwise "unresponsive" residents all tapping their feet - clapping their hands - some singing along and some even trying to get up by themselves from their wheelchairs to dance. The nurses told me that when the residents in their rooms heard the music down the hall - they appeared to come alive all at once and were agitated until the nurses wheeled them into the lunchroom. I was only supposed to play for an hour, but the nurses begged me to stay until the residents tired. That was the LONGEST day of my life LOL. Even when I left after 3 1/2 hours of non-stop entertaining - they were still expecting more. I actually ran out of music and kept playing songs over and over and playing from my head (I play by ear). They also didn't want it to stop and resisted when nurses came to get them for other visitors/doctor visits/medication, etc. The staff had to go to the lunchroom if they wanted or needed their patient for anything. It was truly humbling to experience this firsthand - and the video provided above brought back those profound moments for me. Thank you!

This was absolutely beautiful, to see what music can do to the mind and Spirit is just heartwarming.

I, too, worked with the elderly for many years and saw them enjoying music and all the musicians who came to entertain.

An Ipod is wonderful for our elderly!
Thanks for such a great treat!

I'm still bawling. I love music...and this was just so breathtaking and wonderful to see his transformation and enjoyment. Thanks for posting.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vjeanine
Back