Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 67

Thread: City Comptroller Arrested - Over $30 Million Stolen

  1. #26
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    11,111
    Quote Originally Posted by al66pine View Post
    The first article linked (to equine chronicle) said something like ---
    Her bond/release terms may affect others in the horse world,
    (she cannot sell horses, cannot withdraw funds from bk a/c's, etc.).

    If a horse, equipmt, etc. buyer or seller has a buy, sell, deal/trade, etc, pending with her, I see the deal would remain unconsummated, at least for a while, perhaps until after ---
    ---criminal action is disposed of, and
    ---her personal BR'y is underway,
    ---her company/business BR'y is underway.

    Are there others on the periphery, besides her bus. E'ees, or vendors, or suppliers, who might be unpaid or 'stiffed'?

    What a shame.
    I hope the horses are well maintained in the meantime.
    Sympathy for the folks left in the lurch by her actions.
    Sympathy for Dixon residents, yes.

    Sympathy for her .... fuggetaboutit.
    Yeah, once you start really thinking about it, so many people are affected, or victims of her crime(s).

    AQHA (American Quarter Horse Association) keeps having to make official statements on the situation, as people who have bred horses to her studs are worried, etc. For example, if they bred a mare to a stud last year and are having the foals born this spring, there are breeder's certificates and registration certificates, etc. that need to be signed. Then there are those who have current breeding contracts with her for this year.

    Then, as the example of what I posted above somewhere else, she had multiple trainers in many states, horses spread all over the US...so who will be paying their expenses? Until this gets set up and then starting to be process under the court's management...those trainers and/or people who are boarding her horses at other places, will not be reimbursed for feed, vet, hauling, etc. fees and bills. And trust me, many of those people live month to month...why she was beeboppin' around compliments of the City of Dixon.

    She had employees at both ranches...I would expect a few may be kept on staff by the FBI/courts to do "basic" management of the horses and properties. But her show horses and studs have greater care than your "normal" horses, at least to keep their value up...which you hope would happen so that the City of Dixon can get as much $$ back as possible.

    --------

    PS...spoke to someone at the local AQHA show here this weekend, they said behind the $2.1million motorhome was usually a Hummer being towed. Need to see if that gets on the confiscated items list
    Love you, Littlest Little!

  2. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to DEPUTYDAWG For This Useful Post:


  3. #27
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    407
    http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/261848...42229#47142229

    Story on the Today Show this morning. An employee substitute noticed six figure deposits. Just now, after all this time! Incredible!!!

  4. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to snowdaze For This Useful Post:


  5. #28
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    9,084
    I bet there are a few auditors out there sweatin' bullets! They better not have any lavish luxuries that exceed their standard of living, that's all I can say.

    Those horses better be confiscated and moved somewhere for safe keeping, they're quite a complex asset, and ones that other people's investments are hinged to. I hope the FBI sets up a trustee to manage them and all the paperwork attached to them. Heck, seize her ranch and put a few bureau boys in there to work it. jmo

  6. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Quiche For This Useful Post:


  7. #29
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    2,704
    I find it to be very difficult to comprehend the ability of this woman to remove 5 million dollars from the accounts of a community of 15,700. Since 2006? That's a million a year! Wonder what the annual budget for the town was?

  8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to AlwaysShocked For This Useful Post:


  9. #30
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    11,111
    Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysShocked View Post
    I find it to be very difficult to comprehend the ability of this woman to remove 5 million dollars from the accounts of a community of 15,700. Since 2006? That's a million a year! Wonder what the annual budget for the town was?
    AS,

    It's worse than that! It's $30 (closer to $33 million) since 2006...that's about $5mil/year! Somewhere I read the city's budget was about $20mil/year, so she was averaging a "take" of about 25%!!! So far the only defense I've seen is that she was claiming it was State of IL tax payments to the City were always delayed...that is (allegedly, I must say) how she supposedly would explain the budget shortages.



    And, there's the question still out there that she was skimming from the City well before 2006, but that's just how far back they've gone so far.
    Love you, Littlest Little!

  10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DEPUTYDAWG For This Useful Post:


  11. #31
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Hoping to arrive in NEUTRAL soon
    Posts
    647
    Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysShocked View Post
    I find it to be very difficult to comprehend the ability of this woman to remove 5 million dollars from the accounts of a community of 15,700. Since 2006? That's a million a year! Wonder what the annual budget for the town was?
    So if the annual budget was around 20 million, could it really be possible that she took 5 million a year that was not noticed? I am just a little skeptical at the figure, and wonder if when all is said and done we might find out the figure was exxagerated somewhat. I am certainly not giving her a pass, and ANY theft is corrupt and cause for prosecution. I have recently witnessed a similar situation unfold at my non-profit, and the thief, who was in a position of much trust, confessed that she kept the game going with 'chaos and confusion'. These folks are very skilled at keeping the balls in the air, and they learn how to distract those that trust them by sleight of hand and deflection. If this lady really wanted to begin trying to undo the damage she has done, she would tutor city governments and non-profits on how she did it, and how to protect against it. But my guess is she will continue the con game and never admit the wrongdoing. Sigh.....
    One person can make a difference, and everyone should try.
    John F. Kennedy

  12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CocoChanel For This Useful Post:


  13. #32
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    11,111
    http://www.saukvalley.com/2012/04/23...hnr91u/?page=1

    Comptroller worked horse shows around her city job
    ‘They are used to me being gone, ...’ she said


    DIXON – The arrest of fired city Comptroller Rita Crundwell may put her colleagues in the quarter horse industry in a bind.

    The American Quarter Horse Association says many members are concerned that her arrest may affect their ability to get documents that require her signature.
    Love you, Littlest Little!

  14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DEPUTYDAWG For This Useful Post:


  15. #33
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    11,111
    Quote Originally Posted by CocoChanel View Post
    So if the annual budget was around 20 million, could it really be possible that she took 5 million a year that was not noticed? I am just a little skeptical at the figure, and wonder if when all is said and done we might find out the figure was exxagerated somewhat. I am certainly not giving her a pass, and ANY theft is corrupt and cause for prosecution. I have recently witnessed a similar situation unfold at my non-profit, and the thief, who was in a position of much trust, confessed that she kept the game going with 'chaos and confusion'. These folks are very skilled at keeping the balls in the air, and they learn how to distract those that trust them by sleight of hand and deflection. If this lady really wanted to begin trying to undo the damage she has done, she would tutor city governments and non-profits on how she did it, and how to protect against it. But my guess is she will continue the con game and never admit the wrongdoing. Sigh.....
    I think it's going to be very interesting to see how this plays out...how much she took, and when. Some in the QH industry are still doubting, as well...wondering if she was transferring money back and forth, repaying some, etc....so that ultimately, like you said, a true $30mil wasn't actually gone. I guess we'll see as this progresses. One article has nicknamed her "Madam Madoff," as in she was using the different accounts like a ponzi scheme.

    Oh my.
    Love you, Littlest Little!

  16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to DEPUTYDAWG For This Useful Post:


  17. #34
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Lewisville. Texas
    Posts
    1,027
    Absolutely stunning that this went on for so long and it took a temporary employee to figure it out immediately. Someone wasn't thinking out of the box me thinks. I imagine she made a convoluted path to follow but just following her home says a lot to anyone! The amount of time she was taking off should have sent out a few red flags an' all. I live in horse country and there are some big spreads (and quite a few trust fund babies out here) but hers would be hard act to beat at anytime.

  18. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to SallyLu For This Useful Post:


  19. #35
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    11,111
    Interesting article by a local reporter, who went back and reviewed city council meeting minutes. It lays out comments about tight city funds, etc.

    There's an ironic comment about Rita's value to the City, LOL.



    http://www.saukvalley.com/2012/04/23...56bhsx/?page=1

    Column: Council member says 'Our cash flow is very tight'


    After the arrest of Dixon Comptroller Rita Crundwell last week, I looked through the minutes of City Council meetings going back to January 2009.

    Some passages popped out in light of the accusations that Crundwell “misappropriated” $30 million from city coffers since 2006.

    In April 2011, longtime Finance Commissioner Roy Bridgeman thanked many in city government. He was leaving the City Council.

    The minutes read, “Lastly, Commissioner Bridgeman stated that City Comptroller Rita Crundwell is a big asset to the city as she looks after every dollar as if it were her own.”
    That statement may take on a new meaning if the feds prove their case against Crundwell.
    Love you, Littlest Little!

  20. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to DEPUTYDAWG For This Useful Post:


  21. #36
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Lewisville. Texas
    Posts
    1,027
    Quote Originally Posted by DEPUTYDAWG View Post
    Interesting article by a local reporter, who went back and reviewed city council meeting minutes. It lays out comments about tight city funds, etc.

    There's an ironic comment about Rita's value to the City, LOL.



    http://www.saukvalley.com/2012/04/23...56bhsx/?page=1

    Column: Council member says 'Our cash flow is very tight'


    After the arrest of Dixon Comptroller Rita Crundwell last week, I looked through the minutes of City Council meetings going back to January 2009.

    Some passages popped out in light of the accusations that Crundwell “misappropriated” $30 million from city coffers since 2006.

    In April 2011, longtime Finance Commissioner Roy Bridgeman thanked many in city government. He was leaving the City Council.

    The minutes read, “Lastly, Commissioner Bridgeman stated that City Comptroller Rita Crundwell is a big asset to the city as she looks after every dollar as if it were her own.”
    That statement may take on a new meaning if the feds prove their case against Crundwell.

    The irony of that statement. She was looking after it - it was soon to be her own!

  22. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to SallyLu For This Useful Post:


  23. #37
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    11,111
    Here's one article questioning the alleged crimes, and whether the US Attorney overstated some of this for his own reasons (claiming he did that in the prosecution of Gov. Blago)


    http://nl.newsbank.com/nl-search/we/...440&p_docnum=3

    This we know: There's a lot we don't know



    THIS WEEK’S NEWS bombshell – the FBI raid on Dixon City Hall and arrest of comptroller Rita Crundwell – was the talk of the town.

    And the state. And the nation.

    National news outlets know a good story line when they hear it, and many of them came to town this week to see it.

    A lot of information has been reported – by this newspaper, mostly, and by others – about the federal case against Ms. Crundwell.

    Today’s report on Page 1 makes the fourth consecutive day we’ve given readers front-page articles on various aspects of the story.

    We will have another Page 1 story on Monday. And Tuesday.

    But no matter how much we think we know, there’s a whole lot more we don’t.

    START WITH THE fact that a familiar name is at the top of the U.S. Department of Justice news release about Crundwell’s arrest: Patrick J. Fitzgerald, U.S. Attorney.

    We know from his prosecution of former Gov. Rod Blagojevich that Fitzgerald is a shameless self-promoter with a penchant for overstatement and exaggeration.

    That’s his style
    Love you, Littlest Little!

  24. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DEPUTYDAWG For This Useful Post:


  25. #38
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    11,111
    http://nl.newsbank.com/nl-search/we/...8D8&p_docnum=8

    'A good time was had by all'


    DIXON – Rita Crundwell’s 2010 birthday bash was a “premier” event in the quarter horse industry. That’s according to a January 2010 story that appeared on gohorseshow.com that said industry leaders traveled from around the country to Venice, Fla., “just to attend the party.” As many as 200 attended.


    The host? Crundwell’s boyfriend, Jim McKillips, who treated partygoers to an “outstanding buffet” of jumbo shrimp cocktail, prime rib and coconut shrimp. An “island-style” band entertained.

    “One thing was for sure – a good time was had all,” the story said. “Rita was gorgeous as always in one of her ‘must have’ coats. Where does she find these items?”


    -----
    From the article:

    After Crundwell’s arrest, an anonymous poster commented on the gohorseshow.com story: “Thanks, Dixon. As an exhibitor who attended a couple of Rita’s birthday parties in Venice, I would like to personally thank the hard-working people of Dixon, Ill., for the coconut shrimp. It was exceptional.”
    Love you, Littlest Little!

  26. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to DEPUTYDAWG For This Useful Post:


  27. #39
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Lewisville. Texas
    Posts
    1,027
    Hmm, do you know what's weird to me? All the horse people I know don't have other jobs and for Rita's lavish lifestyle surely there were people in the industry wondering - or mebbe not.

    She worked for Dixon for thirty years? She's been at this con for a lot longer than a few years.

  28. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to SallyLu For This Useful Post:


  29. #40
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Hoping to arrive in NEUTRAL soon
    Posts
    647
    Quote Originally Posted by DEPUTYDAWG View Post
    Here's one article questioning the alleged crimes, and whether the US Attorney overstated some of this for his own reasons (claiming he did that in the prosecution of Gov. Blago)


    http://nl.newsbank.com/nl-search/we/...440&p_docnum=3

    This we know: There's a lot we don't know



    THIS WEEK’S NEWS bombshell – the FBI raid on Dixon City Hall and arrest of comptroller Rita Crundwell – was the talk of the town.

    And the state. And the nation.

    National news outlets know a good story line when they hear it, and many of them came to town this week to see it.

    A lot of information has been reported – by this newspaper, mostly, and by others – about the federal case against Ms. Crundwell.

    Today’s report on Page 1 makes the fourth consecutive day we’ve given readers front-page articles on various aspects of the story.

    We will have another Page 1 story on Monday. And Tuesday.

    But no matter how much we think we know, there’s a whole lot more we don’t.

    START WITH THE fact that a familiar name is at the top of the U.S. Department of Justice news release about Crundwell’s arrest: Patrick J. Fitzgerald, U.S. Attorney.

    We know from his prosecution of former Gov. Rod Blagojevich that Fitzgerald is a shameless self-promoter with a penchant for overstatement and exaggeration.

    That’s his style
    Again, not giving this woman a pass if indeed she has done wrong, but I do believe BOTH sides of the pancake know how to use the techniques of "chaos and confusion" to their advantage. I also know, from the vantage point of one side of the pancake, that it is indeed possible to get a ham sandwich indicted if the US attorney wants that to happen. Just saying.....
    One person can make a difference, and everyone should try.
    John F. Kennedy

  30. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CocoChanel For This Useful Post:


  31. #41
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    11,111
    Quote Originally Posted by CocoChanel View Post
    Again, not giving this woman a pass if indeed she has done wrong, but I do believe BOTH sides of the pancake know how to use the techniques of "chaos and confusion" to their advantage. I also know, from the vantage point of one side of the pancake, that it is indeed possible to get a ham sandwich indicted if the US attorney wants that to happen. Just saying.....
    I must say, I do have questions...

    The feds were alerted to this "chaos and confusion" back in September, right? Then, someone somewhere decided, at some point, to sit back and wait...I guess to see what else she'd do, or while they were getting further documents as part of their continuing investigation.............enough to where she was "allowed" (via inaction) to continue to "misappropriate" to the alleged tune of what, about $3million between October and March. If I were a Dixon citizen, I'd be wondering who picks up that tab, LOL.

    If they've got all these docs from 2006 to current, why only the one charge of $175K? I know, I know, they can add charges later, but little ol' me would be wondering why there wasn't a little more thrown at her by now. It's been 6-7 months in the making.

    I'm willing to watch this play out, I find it interesting. I'm wondering - was she THAT good that she was able to do this at such a high $$$ level and for such a long time, and no one else was aware of it? Hmmm.
    Love you, Littlest Little!

  32. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DEPUTYDAWG For This Useful Post:


  33. #42
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    11,111
    Some of the search warrant info is discussed in this article.

    And in my post #26 above, I mentioned that there was a Hummer towed behind her motorhome...yep, they got that too.

    During the execution of the search warrants, it came out that she had 2 personal loans out to 2 other City employees, and another loan (small) to a non-city employee.




    http://www.saukvalley.com/2012/04/24...rants/ag4kfyu/

    Feds release fruit of Crundwell search warrantsFire chief, city engineer got personal loans from disgraced comptroller


    DIXON – Two city employees who received personal loans from embattled comptroller Rita A. Crundwell said Tuesday they believed her money came from her horse business.

    Crundwell was arrested April 17 on a federal wire fraud charge; that day, the FBI seized documents and assets from her office at City Hall; her Dixon home and horse ranch; her company, RC Quarter Horses Inc.; and another horse ranch in Beloit, Wis.
    Love you, Littlest Little!

  34. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DEPUTYDAWG For This Useful Post:


  35. #43
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    407
    Wonderful! Not only was she taking money, she was loaning it out to others? Wonder at what interest rate? How nice

  36. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to snowdaze For This Useful Post:


  37. #44
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    11,111
    Quote Originally Posted by snowdaze View Post
    Wonderful! Not only was she taking money, she was loaning it out to others? Wonder at what interest rate? How nice
    I think one of the loan's was at 4% for a 10 year loan, if I read it (quickly) correctly, LOL.

    I guess this is one of the reasons people thought she was so "nice."
    Love you, Littlest Little!

  38. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to DEPUTYDAWG For This Useful Post:


  39. #45
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    5,374
    Judge allows sale of Dixon official's assets

    http://www.wrex.com/story/18667242/j...ficials-assets

  40. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Blondie in Spokane For This Useful Post:


  41. #46
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    5,374
    Dixon Pension Money Used To Pay Bills?

    http://www.kwqc.com/story/18679649/d...d-to-pay-bills

  42. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Blondie in Spokane For This Useful Post:


  43. #47
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    5,374
    Dixon sues accounting firm over town official’s embezzlement charges


    "The small town of Downstate Dixon filed a lawsuit Friday against the accounting firm that looked over the books every year and never noticed $50 million missing."

    http://www.suntimes.com/news/politic...t-charges.html

  44. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Blondie in Spokane For This Useful Post:


  45. #48
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    6,210
    I'm really thinking every city, county, state and federal government and their programs be audited.

    What a ripoff.....

    Also, I'll bet more shoes drop on this case.

  46. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Peliman For This Useful Post:


  47. #49
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    61
    According to this article, per the Quad City Times, Rita has been doing this since 1990, which makes more sense then just 2006. But I still cannot believe she got away with siphoning that much money from a small town like Dixon for that many years and nobody was on to her? I hope more people are charged then just her.
    http://qctimes.com/news/local/ex-dix...9bb2963f4.html

  48. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Ozzie For This Useful Post:


  49. #50
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    5,374
    DIXON, Ill. — If Rita Crundwell stole $53 million from taxpayers here, as federal authorities claim, the former comptroller’s discreet spending and success as a horse breeder helped dampen local suspicions.

    Many people in Dixon, from the mayor to a bartender at one of Crundwell’s hangouts, thought the 59-year-old’s accumulation of horses and property in the town of 15,733 people was the result of her breeding-business savvy.

    But federal investigations into her assets revealed hundreds of horses in 14 states, luxury homes and cars, jewelry and other high-dollar purchases.

    “I didn’t know anything about the $2 million RV,” Dixon Mayor Jim Burke said of another of Crundwell’s assets. “I’ve since learned about some pretty lavish parties she had at horse shows in Florida with that big motor home and her expensive horse trailers.”


    http://qctimes.com/news/local/b5403d...a4bcf887a.html

  50. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Blondie in Spokane For This Useful Post:


Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Police Memorial Has Flags Stolen, Perp Known But Unlikely To Be Arrested.
    By Steely Dan in forum Bizarre and Off-Beat News
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-26-2011, 02:08 AM
  2. IA, Iowa city- Iowa City man arrested for sexual abuse
    By peeples in forum Crimes-Spotlight on Children
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-14-2011, 12:33 PM
  3. Paris Hilton's Home Robbed - 2 Million in Jewels Stolen
    By Carla Lashelle in forum Crimes in the News
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-20-2008, 03:00 PM
  4. Cop arrested for allegedly fencing stolen goods via eBay
    By Casshew in forum Crimes in the News
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-23-2004, 08:51 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •